How many of you paid federal taxes this year?

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:14 am
I don't mean what was deducted from your paycheck, but what you actually paid by April 15th.

I am exploring an idea about the effect of the housing boom on our federal coffers through the mortgage interest deduction. We paid very little this year and nothing last year due to mostly the mortgage interest deduction but also the childcare deduction. I'm curious how common our scenario is.

I'm also wondering if the level of dissatisfaction with federal tax rates is proportional to the actual level of taxation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,684 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:16 am
@FreeDuck,
We got a refund... we usually do but this one was smaller because we reduced withholding.

Mortgage interest deduction helped a lot. No childcare deduction.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:18 am
@sozobe,
So was the refund the full amount that you had withheld or just partial?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:21 am
I paid Federal taxes this year.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:22 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I don't mean what was deducted from your paycheck, but what you actually paid by April 15th.

You really want to know how many people owed extra federal taxes on top
of the federal taxes the government took directly from their paychecks.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:26 am
I had to pay a couple thousand more than was deducted from my check.

I am disatisifed with my taxes, not because I think they're too much, but because I feel like our government is wasting my money. I also feel that I'm paying a much higher percentage of my income, and really not getting much for my investment. I'm not looking for handouts, I'm just looking for more of my fellow countrymen to chip in their fair share (those on each end of the income brackets, rich pay too little for what they get, poor pay too little for what they get).

I had a huge deduction from mortgage interest, which I would be willing to give up if we can do away with the stupid child deductions too. Hell, let's get rid of all deductions.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:32 am
@maporsche,

Hell, let's just adopt the Elimination of the U.S. Tax Return Act of 2012.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:33 am
@FreeDuck,
Hmm. Not sure I follow. To use fake numbers, if the total withholding was $10,000, we owed $9,500 and got $500 back.

Whereas in previous years we had $12,000 withheld, owed $9,500 and got $2,500 back. The main difference from previous years (read: since E.G. has had this job and we've owned this house) was how much we had withheld.
JPB

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:36 am
She's asking about your tax liability after allowable deductions. Did you have any tax liability or did you get all your withholding back?

Yes, I had a tax liability this year.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:39 am
@sozobe,
Ok, so you paid a total of $9500 -- that's what I'm after. That's what I'm after. Last year we got everything back, this year we got most of everything back.

maporsche, you are single with no kids, yes? I remember feeling like i was getting totally screwed on taxes until we bought a house and had kids, at which point we started paying next to nothing.

My feeling is that the mortgage interest deduction funnels tax revenues to banks and might have made a noticeable difference to our federal coffers during the housing boom -- especially with all the high interest, low equity loans. It's just a feeling though, so I thought I'd bring it here for discussion. Personally, I'd rather pay that money to the government if it meant universal health care and better schools. Not sure it would, though.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:39 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

She's asking about your tax liability after allowable deductions. Did you have any tax liability or did you get all your withholding back?

Yes, I had a tax liability this year.

Thanks, JPB. Your language is much more precise than mine.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 10:40 am
@JPB,
You said it better than I...Thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:09 am
My mortgage is paid off, and even when I had one there wasn't enough of a deduction to itemize.

It was a bank foreclosure, and bought it in 1991 for something like $50k.

about 3/4's of my property tax rate is based on that original figure, adjusted each year of course, still very low....the other 1/4 is based on the extra square footage we added in the last few years.

I've never had enough deductions to itemize.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:15 am
We had to pay taxes this year as well. I have no idea how much as my better half handles the money.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 03:10 pm
I havent had enough deductions to itimize for 20 years. Short form. Had to pay income tax on 1/2 of my soc. sec. for the last 12 years in addition to my regular income.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 03:50 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

My feeling is that the mortgage interest deduction funnels tax revenues to banks and might have made a noticeable difference to our federal coffers during the housing boom -- especially with all the high interest, low equity loans. It's just a feeling though, so I thought I'd bring it here for discussion. Personally, I'd rather pay that money to the government if it meant universal health care and better schools. Not sure it would, though.

Personally, I'd rather see a system that encourages savings rather than debt. Our current system rewards taxpayers for having the highest possible mortgage they can carry by allowing interest payments to be deducted from their income for tax purposes. On the other side, we add any interest or dividends earned from savings and investments onto our other income and tax it accordingly.

We encourage debt at both the personal and national level. We've already faced a crisis in the credit industry on the personal level. My fear is that we're about to face a similar debt crisis on a national level and we have ZERO dollars saved to pay for it.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:12 pm
@JPB,
I agree.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:57 pm

I'd rather see The FairTax plan adopted so that we take home 100% of what we earn.
Put a % into savings and only pay tax on what you buy. Simple and effective.
The FairTax plan would turn our economy around rather quickly.
0 Replies