Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 03:45 am
My family name was originally de Hesding, as all old Church records are in Latin can anyone tell me what it would be in Latin, they came from Hesdin in France it that would help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,061 • Replies: 5
No top replies

George

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 07:33 am
@Col Heading,
You've got me stumped there.

To the best of my knowledge surnames are not generally translated into Latin.
If you have some geneological records, you find some entry made in a church
register in which the name is Latinized.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 07:40 am
Surnames only became common long after Latin ceased to be commonly used anywhere except in church records. I doubt if you would find anything. About the only helpful clue you could get would be the Roman name for the town which became Hesdin, if ever there were one. Otherwise, your task is pretty hopeless. Prior to the 13th or 14th century, only members of the aristocracy had family names, and as often as not, those were based on place names.
George

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 07:44 am
@Setanta,
Thanks, Setanta. I was hoping you'd drop by.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 08:01 am
Like so many social institutions in western civilization, family names arise from interests in property. If you don't have much to pass on, there is little reason for anyone to take sufficient interest in you to tack a label on you, other than the simple one you bear, your given name. William, the miller, becomes Will Miller--but if his son takes up general carpentry, and his given name is James, then he becomes Jemmy Wright. If his son uses those skills to make barrels and buckets, and his given name is John, he becomes John Cooper.

For more affluent families, interests in property make identifiers more important. Then, usually, the reference will be to a place name, or to a special circumstance in the person's life. A case in point: a Frenchman long ago who lived in a small village was knighted. He was probably the only knight in the town, so he was called Cavelier--that became the family's surname. At a certain point, one of his descendants built a large, one room house in the woods, where the boys slept if they were out hunting for a few days. They just called it la salle, the room, because that was about all there was to it. Eventually, one of the descendants expanded it, and made it comfortable enough to be a country house. His grandson was born there, and eventually inherited the country house, now known by long usage as La Salle. That boy was René Robert Cavelier, le sieur de La Salle. La Salle was among the most famous explorers of North America.

But what about his ancestors who lived before one of them became a knight? Odds are, it would be nearly impossible to trace back much further, because it is doubtful that before that time, any of them had enough property that anyone else cared what their name might be.
0 Replies

Col Heading

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 12:23 am
Thank you all, I am now convinced it is not Latin at all as the Church said, I can read daughter of, however son of, is in Latin. I think it is Old English, if only I could copy and paste the surname you may be able to help. I have more research to do so it may become clearer as I go foward with dates, this is 1526 on where I am having the trouble. It seems nobody has attempted to translate this film, I think they had one look and left it for others, it so happens my line is there somewhere. Thanks again
0 Replies