Using WORD 2007

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 04:19 pm
I am writing a long paper, but I am "computer illiterate." I must have clicked on to the wrong button or something, but my left margin has gone haywire. The ruler at the top goes off the page (as does some of the text). I was using the standard (default) ruler, which I like. How do I reset the ruler?

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 04:58 pm
@Woollcott,
I clicked the blue ? Help link in the upper right corner of the Word screen and one of the categories of help is "Margins and Page Setup." Then I clicked on "Change or Set Page Margins" and got a whole page of options and tips.

This is one that I think pertains to what you are asking about. There is also a graphic of the Word screen that shows you what to look for.

If this isn't what you need, repeat the steps I did and scan the page of options to see if you find what you are looking for.

Quote:
Change or set page margins
On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Margins.

Click the margin type that you want. For the most common margin width, click Normal.
When you click the margin type that you want, your entire document automatically changes to the margin type that you have selected.

You can also specify your own margin settings. Click Margins, click Custom Margins, and then in the Top, Bottom, Left, and Right boxes, enter new values for the margins.
Notes

To change the default margins, click Margins after you select a new margin, and then click Custom Margins. In the Page Setup dialog box, click the Default button, and then click Yes. The new default settings are saved in the template on which the document is based. Each new document based on that template automatically uses the new margin settings.
To change the margins for part of a document, select the text, and then set the margins that you want by entering the new margins in the Page Setup dialog box. In the Apply to box, click Selected text. Microsoft Word automatically inserts section breaks (section break: A mark you insert to show the end of a section. A section break stores the section formatting elements, such as the margins, page orientation, headers and footers, and sequence of page numbers.) before and after the text that has the new margin settings. If your document is already divided into sections, you can click in a section or select multiple sections and then change the margins.
Woollcott

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 09:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet:
Many thanks! That is exactly what I needed! You're a gem!
0 Replies