San Diego tries to ban Christianity

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:45 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
The readers answers are too funny (from your link)
Here is Reverend Jones neighbor Laughing
Quote:
This is exactly the point I'm trying to make! I live right next door to Reverend Jones, and I like to host sex orgies. We're quiet, and we don't bother anyone. But Reverend Jones doesn't like our orgies and wants to shut us down. He says it angers god, and that god will punish the entire neighborhood. I don't know who Reverend Jones' god is, but my Gods join us at our orgies, and they don't have any problem with what we're doing. We even dedicate a bed to each of our Gods. So, the real question here seems to be, who's God is right? Anyway, Reverend Jones, let's join together and fight this public intrusion into our personal lives. You have your Bible studies, and I'll have my orgies, and we'll all live together just fine!

After this post, they try to determine which God is better.... Oh have mercy!!

Bonita is actually very close to the Mexican border and many Hispanic families live in and around Bonita. My guess is that Reverend Jones is not
catholic.
Thomas

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:45 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I see this as little different, perhaps no different at all, from zoning regulations.

And the Supreme Court has consistently struck down zoning regulations that had the effect of restricting fundamental rights, of which the free exercise of religion is one.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:52 pm
I love this post

Quote:
Actually this happens enough that there are city and county codes and zoning laws in places that were voted upon by all the citizens of that city/county. You just don't hear about it because poker players or football parties don't get their panties in a wad and call a lawyer to go national with their whining. They got away with blocking the cul-de-sac for 5 years, really they should thank their neighbors for putting up with the problem for so long.
No one seems to realize that the line of questioning to establish purpose probably worked in favor of the pastor. Churches and religious groups get special consideration. If this had been a party where liquor was served the owner of the home could have been held responsible for all damages his guest cause to the neighbor's visitors vehicle.

I have to ask- grilled like what? I am sure there were lots of questions like: What is the purpose of the gathering? Is alcohol being served? Where are cars parked? How long are the meetings?

You know- after reading the vile and inhumane remarks on this story and the one preceding it (which is up to 52 pages of depravity) I am reminded why I am not a Christian- I don't want to associate with Christians! For a group who claims to follow the teachings of Jesus- they sure can't seem to remember what those teachings are.

But then we do have the Salem Witch Trials and the Lynchings that took place in this country as recently as the 1960's. Maybe it doesn't count when Christians persecute others
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:54 pm
@Thomas,
For that to work, Thomas, the plaintiffs would have to show that they cannot freely exercise their religion without meeting in that location. If they have no church to which they can resort, then you're right back to square one with San Diego County's land use regulations, which do provide for major use permits. I surely cannot predict how the Supremes would rule, and in their present constitution, they might rule in favor of the pastor. But i don't think you can predict how they would rule, either, and in this case, the county regulation does not ipso fact deny this man his right of free expression. I would surmise that the success of such a case would hinge upon the quality of the arguments of the attorneys involved; and, of course, the composition of the court.

I think it is important to note that San Diego County does provide a means--the major use permit--for resolving what otherwise might be seen as an impasse. I consider this to be deliberately provocative on the part of these holy rollers, who are showing no regard for this joker's neighbors.
Thomas

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:01 pm
@Setanta,
How about the right to free assembly? In America, do you need a permit for a demonstration? Do the neighbors get their say about permitting the demonstration? (After all, demonstrations, too, tend to inhibit traffic) If you need a permit, how much does it cost? How much is it allowed to cost before the courts find that the right to peaceably assemble has been stifled?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:10 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas, of course you need a permit if a demonstration is bound to disrupt
traffic and/or the surrounding neighborhoods.

A small private school in my neighborhood wants to increase their pupil
number from 250 to 600. We as neighbors get a say in it if we would allow
such an increase in traffic or not. The hearing will be very soon and all neighbors have gotten an invitation to the hearing.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

The readers answers are too funny (from your link)

i know... paranoia strikes deep. Laughing

it seems to me that it's about the parking and, perhaps noise.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
How much does a permit to have a demonstration cost? Thousands of dollars?

If you invite 15 friends for BBQ once every weekend, would that require a permit?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:18 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

How much does a permit to have a demonstration cost? Thousands of dollars?

If you invite 15 friends for BBQ once every weekend, would that require a permit?

It all boils down to how much you are infringing upon others. If your friends didn't cause undue noise, parking, or other problems, then I'm sure you would not need a permit. If for some reason they did, then yes, you would need a permit.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:22 pm
@Thomas,
I've already quoted in this thread the relevant portion of the first amendment with regard to assembly, but i'll do it again:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Clearly, that clause does not apply to a regularly recurring assembly in a private residence. Yes, most, if not all, jurisdictions require a permit for a demonstration. Yes, it is common for municipal or county authorities to consult with, or allege that they have consulted with, residents and/or businesses in an area in which someone or some group has applied for a permit to demonstrate. How much it costs would vary from one jurisdiction to another, and you'd have to ask the courts themselves for their opinion what would constitute an onerous request.

None of this is applicable here, however. The first amendment only guarantees the right to assemble to petition the government for a redress of grievance, and that is not what this is about. This about a group which wishes to assemble in despite of the wishes of the neighbors (who have endured it for five years) and in despite of the county's regulations on land use.

I think that, in justice, the county has a good case. I fully recognize, though, that the courts may be so hypnotized by the issue of religion that the county's provisions for major land use may well be ignored.
Thomas

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
None of this is applicable here, however. The first amendment only guarantees the right to assemble to petition the government for a redress of grievance, and that is not what this is about.

Really? There is no right to peaceably assemble for other purposes? For example, disgruntled auto workers in Detroit would not fall under the first amendment if they only demonstrated against their CEOs, in front of their company headquarters?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:29 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Setanta wrote:
None of this is applicable here, however. The first amendment only guarantees the right to assemble to petition the government for a redress of grievance, and that is not what this is about.

Really? There is no right to peaceably assemble for other purposes? For example, disgruntled auto workers in Detroit would not fall under the first amendment if they only demonstrated against their CEOs, in front of their company headquarters?

I would note that most cities require a permit for such demonstrations, if they infringe on any other citizen in any way.

Even here in Berkeley - the so-called home of protesting - you have to have permits to hold any protest larger than just a couple of people.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:33 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
There is no right to peaceably assemble for other purposes?

There is no other explicit constitutional guarantee--although there is the inferential guarantee of the ninth amendment:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Do you know what a permit to demonstrate costs in Berkeley? And how free the city of Berkeley is to deny the permit?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:45 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Do you know what a permit to demonstrate costs in Berkeley? And how free the city of Berkeley is to deny the permit?

I don't know, in fact. A simple web search is so overwhelmed with Republican outrage at the city, I can't find the pricing.

Cycloptichorn
genoves

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:53 pm
Apparently, Farmerman has also caught on to the fact that Sentana is a senile old fool. I don't think he knows, however, about the relationship between the Senile one and his mangy dog. However, that might be subsumed under "Pursuit of Happiness" principle.

Farmerman wrote:

What the hell is wrong with you? Are you so damn insecure that if people dont agree with every fuckin thing you say you start name calling , feces throwing and otherwise acting a loudmouth fool?. You certainly did go postal about how "I didnt need to instruct you on writing ordinances" First off you read that as as some kind of challenge to your status? I merely wanted to present the fact that codification of ordinances has always (at least in my state) invloved trimming and making sure the ordinance was in line with all other existing regs.

Now Im goin fishin you old ****. If you wanna carry on later fine, Ill be glad to swap insults. In the meantime, Take a valium.

0 Replies

genoves

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:55 pm
Mr Thomas wrote:

Re: Cycloptichorn (Post 3663445)

I doubt, sir, that it costs very much. How could it cost a lot unless the demonstration could be classified as anything close to right wing. Everyone knows, despite Cyclopitchorn's demurrer, that Berkeley is one of the most liberal towns in the USA.

Note:

MOST LIBERAL PLACES

ePodunk study identifies the most liberal communities in the U.S.
For all those frustrated Democrats who are considering a move to Canada, we offer a few closer alternatives.

Our list of "Most Liberal Places in America" is based not on opinion polls, which have come under fire in recent elections, but on votes, political contributions and demographics. The rankings, at right, show nationwide picks by the size of the community and statewide rankings for 29 states.

We considered the following data in making our selections:

Individual contributions to PACs
We analyzed 1.8 million contributions to 2,300 political action committees that could be identified as Democratic/Liberal or Republican/Conservative. This data, for the 2003-2004 election cycle, was downloaded from the Federal Election Commission on Nov. 9.

Election returns
Unofficial election results in the 2004 presidential race were reported at the county level for every county in the U.S., and at the local level for many New England communities.

Gay households
This index was compiled from the U.S. Census by Gary Gates, a demographer at the Urban Institute and co-author of The Gay and Lesbian Atlas. Figures were included for the 1,360 U.S. communities in which 50 or more couples reported living in such relationships.

Local government resolutions opposing combat in Iraq

Local officials performing gay marriages

Congressional District voting history
(Note: Because this factor was part of the screen for rankings, Washington, D.C., which does not have congressional representation, was excluded from our study. Washington residents who do not live in the White House showed strong liberal leanings in their votes for president and political contributions. The city also has a large number of gay households.)

Population
Community population, as reported in the 2000 census.

ePodunk study identifies the most liberal communities in the U.S.
For all those frustrated Democrats who are considering a move to Canada, we offer a few closer alternatives.

Our list of "Most Liberal Places in America" is based not on opinion polls, which have come under fire in recent elections, but on votes, political contributions and demographics. The rankings, at right, show nationwide picks by the size of the community and statewide rankings for 29 states.

We considered the following data in making our selections:

Individual contributions to PACs
We analyzed 1.8 million contributions to 2,300 political action committees that could be identified as Democratic/Liberal or Republican/Conservative. This data, for the 2003-2004 election cycle, was downloaded from the Federal Election Commission on Nov. 9.

Election returns
Unofficial election results in the 2004 presidential race were reported at the county level for every county in the U.S., and at the local level for many New England communities.

Gay households
This index was compiled from the U.S. Census by Gary Gates, a demographer at the Urban Institute and co-author of The Gay and Lesbian Atlas. Figures were included for the 1,360 U.S. communities in which 50 or more couples reported living in such relationships.

Local government resolutions opposing combat in Iraq

Local officials performing gay marriages

Congressional District voting history
(Note: Because this factor was part of the screen for rankings, Washington, D.C., which does not have congressional representation, was excluded from our study. Washington residents who do not live in the White House showed strong liberal leanings in their votes for president and political contributions. The city also has a large number of gay households.)

Population
Community population, as reported in the 2000 census.
For more information, send us an email at [email protected], or call us, at 607-387-4181.

Released November, 2004

Other rankings

LIBERAL COMMUNITIES
BIG CITIES
(100,000 or more)
Boston, MA
Cambridge, MA
Berkeley, CA
Oakland, CA
San Francisco, CA
New Haven, CT
Providence, RI
New York, NY
Baltimore, MD
Seattle, WA
MEDIUM CITIES
(25,000-99,999)
Northampton, MA
Somerville, MA
Arlington, MA
Watertown, MA
Santa Cruz, CA
Alameda, CA
Ithaca, NY
Portland, ME
East Palo Alto, CA
Chelsea, MA
SMALL CITIES
(Under 25,000)
Provincetown, MA
Mount Rainier, MD
Albany, CA
Fairfax, CA
Garrett Park, MD
Orono, ME
Takoma Park, MD
Guerneville, CA
Bar Harbor, ME
Johnson, VT
MOST LIBERAL IN STATE
(For selected states)
AZ - Flagstaff
CA - Berkeley
CO - Telluride
CT - Salisbury
FL - Wilton Manors
GA - Decatur
IA - Iowa City
IL - Oak Park
KS - Lawrence
MA - Boston
MD - Mount Rainier
ME - Orono
MI - Ferndale
MN - Golden Valley
MO - Kansas City
NC - Carrboro
NH - Hanover
NJ - Montclair
NM - Santa Fe
NY - Ithaca
OH - Oberlin
OR - Lincoln City
PA - Philadelphia
RI - Providence
TX - Bellaire
VA - Baileys Crossroads
VT - Johnson
WA - Vashon
WI - Madison

Mr. Thomas -sir- Note the high ranking of BERKELEY!!! It is obviously very very liberal, and,as such, may explain some of the far left proclivities of Cyclopitchorn

Thomas

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 04:10 pm
@genoves,
genoves, listing the most liberal big cities in the USA, wrote:
Boston, MA
Cambridge, MA
Berkeley, CA
Oakland, CA
San Francisco, CA
New Haven, CT
Providence, RI
New York, NY
Baltimore, MD
Seattle, WA

Wow -- the top ten on that list are an almost exact match with my top ten favorite places in America. I am a liberal after all! Thanks for bringing Oakland, New Haven, Providence, and Baltimore to my attention. I have to check them out sometime.
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 04:15 pm
@Thomas,
that does look like a great list of cities to visit
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 04:17 pm
@Thomas,
I too like Boston and Cambridge since my son graduated from Harvard. I haven't been to SanFrancisco for years since one of my aunts fainted dead away when we noted a couple in flagrante delecto in a doorway on Market Street( during the daylight hours. New Haven, where my son attended Law School, is a pit. Students are warned not to walk the streets alone at night because of all the gang bangers. Seattle is nice and I have not been to New York in years.

What about the smaller towns, Mr. Thomas?