You Were Always On My Mind

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:06 pm
@Tai Chi,
Sure.

Just had a friend over and A2K came up twice -- once re: Penny (friend is visiting from Australia, sozlet brought up that Penny had gone there), and once re: baby birds (both reassurance about their color from farmerman when I was all worried about them [they seem to be hale and hearty, if really really hungry all the damn time] and then also being told during a previous baby bird/ nest situation that a snake had probably got 'em).

And all that other stuff too. Got some artisan silver + stone earrings from my mom and immediately thought of Mr. Tai Chi, just for example. (I like his stuff better.)
dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:07 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Tai Chi wrote:

Maybe you should toast your buns a little longer next time.
kiss my go to hell, I'm putting you on ignore, I mean iT!
I didn't toast MY buns, I toasted THE buns, I don't have any buns and you know that----bimbo!
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:10 pm
@sozobe,
Hi soz! One of our summer neighbours is from Columbus, OH so of course I thought of you. (As well as wondering if Ogoniuk made it to Ohio yet?)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:10 pm
@sozobe,
oh my goodness, Penny.

I'd been giving a former colleague a ride to and from our new (now old, for me) place of employment. On the second day, "so the squirrel, where is it now?".

Squirrel? oh, Penny. I had to give K an update on where Penny has been since she visited our former office. Then I had to re-explain the A2k/Penny link.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:12 pm
@dyslexia,
Well of course you don't have any buns -- you BURNED them! Sheesh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Black Flies, they adore me... #%!!###. And black fly bites last a long time, dammit, at least for me.

On a2k, whatever our personal pros and cons, we have online developed personalities, even if this site is, in large part, our main experience online.. our personas may or may not work with reality... but often do, somewhat. However that works, we still develop constructs around people we are talking to.

Hey, Tai, I still remember meeting you in the parking lot.. seconds after a woman I never saw before came over and talked to me, re my license plate at the time, as being from california. I looked up as she left and there you two were.. any angst evaporating immediately (what was I wary of?)

Lots of people on here are real, and pretty expressive, sometimes more than whomever we deal with in daily life year in and out, or it seems so - and connecting to that conversation can grip, even among flagrant disagreers.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:37 pm
@dyslexia,
Nice you bring that up, dys, is this the third time? Provides room for my rant re cheesy plastic bags when I forget my eco bags.. plus a rant against grocery store managerial packing rules, which seem to include putting heavy bottles together, even when one requests not. And places like Smith's, whose plastic bags are the thinnest possible... 1 mm?

but wait, I think it was you who called me and asked how I was, and I explained.. and now it's a thing on a2k.

As it happens, I've no hose in my front yard, due to having a broken #%#%# polybutylene hosebib, the fixing of which could easily work into bigger money than trivial. Did I mention the house is a lemon?

So cleaning red wine and glass off the driveway under my car was no small thing a half hour before your call, requiring bucket filling, and so on.

Don't tell me to go through the self check out aisles, as I can't hear the damned machine with the tiny sweetie voice.

Whine? Usually I'm not whiny.
A bitch sometimes, that's true.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:41 pm
@Tai Chi,
Ogi is in Las Vegas, as of now..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 07:50 pm
Re people who are real life friends over years, and people on a2k, when things come up in the news or non-news... for me, the associations approach equal - more re real life, but often re a2k personalities.

But I mix things. I send real life friends (what is a word for that?) links to some stuff I learned on a2k.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 03:17 am
@Tai Chi,
Tai, Sometimes something will happen or I'll come across something that reminds of someone from here.

I bought a rye bread at Hot and Crusty, a bakery in my neighborhood that Bethie told me about. Yes, it took someone from Canada to introduce me to a bakery four blocks from my house. Couldn't buy the bread and not think of Beth.

Passed a place where Thomas and I had lunch. Thought of Thomas.

I usually don't need a trigger to think about some people here, but the trigger will always work.

And can any of us see a cigarette-smoking rabbit and not be reminded of Deb? I didn't think so.
dlowan

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:45 am
@Roberta,
There's some other goddam wabbit smoking???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 04:47 am
@Tai Chi,
Quote:
Am I nuts?

Yes.

And no one here resents or despises you for it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 05:52 am
@Tai Chi,
Welcome back, Tai Chi. What I enjoyed most about your brother's house was not necessarily the wooden porch, but the cobblestone house. dj is a jack of all trades.

http://www.cobblestone-cottages.com/imagesfolder/Chrishouse.gif

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 06:09 am
@Letty,
the stones were there long before i was born, or around the same time, not sure i'd attempt that sort of project, but you never know
jespah

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 06:47 am
@djjd62,
djjd62

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 06:48 am
@jespah,
the bestest version there is

sorry willie
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:42 pm
Quote:
osso is a whiner, she drops a bottle of whine on her driveway and whines about having to clean it up.

DYS: LET IT GO! Sheesh! Count yourself lucky that Osso refrained from choking you, for bringing this one (minor) incident up like a billion times.

Moving along: I think of A2K folk in more general terms, that is, you all taught me that people can be good, kind, caring, and smart all at the same time; just when I needed it most.

You taught me that people CAN be loving, even on the Internet, where they're so often NOT.

Hubby still thinks smart folk are nasty/snobby. He needs to get on A2K.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:43 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:

Welcome back, Tai Chi. What I enjoyed most about your brother's house was not necessarily the wooden porch, but the cobblestone house. dj is a jack of all trades.

The house was built more than 40 years ago by a colleague of our dad. He drove an oil truck for a local farmer's co-op and would ask farmers if he could take the big rocks out of their fields. They, of course, thought he was crazy and said "sure". He'd already bought the land and piled the rocks there 'til he thought he had enough. Then, he hired one of the last great Scottish stone masons in the area (he was about 70 years old) to oversee construction. What I think is greatest about the house, is, that unlike many stone houses, it hasn't been built with all the big stones at the foundation with them getting smaller as they built "up". The sizes are all mixed up -- more like a jigsaw puzzle.

(dj is indeed a man of many talents.)
Izzie

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:49 pm
@Tai Chi,
Pecan.

Peeking in, peeking out! CONSTANTLY! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:49 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Provides room for my rant re cheesy plastic bags when I forget my eco bags.. plus a rant against grocery store managerial packing rules, which seem to include putting heavy bottles together, even when one requests not. And places like Smith's, whose plastic bags are the thinnest possible... 1 mm?

I wanna rant too!

Apple juice can -- forgotten eco bag -- flimsy plastic bag -- laminate floor -- dent

Anyone know how to camouflage a dent in a laminate floor? It's right in the doorway, too.