GREED

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:59 pm
Ceili, You are ofcoarse right! However, the problems of the world are overwhelming for those of us that try to balance family security against that stranger half way around the world. Not many of us are ready to sacrifice our comforts for those African slaves, asian brothels, and sweatshops. As Americans, we represent only five percent of the world population, but consume forty percent of its resources. Yes, we are greedy. And realistically speaking, that's not going to change any time soon.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 12:08 am
Maybe greed has some of the same qualities of religions?
Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:48 am
I always dreamed of hitting the lottery. Does that fall into greed?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:04 am
Montana, That's more "wishful thinking" than greed. LOL
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 11:39 am
Ok, I'm not greedy then :-D
0 Replies

nemesis

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 01:59 pm
my favorite sin is laziness. i just love sprawling on my bed and doing nothing all day. or reading a book. i only think about money when i have to get up and feed myself. so... if i don't want to work but still want to have enough money to laze around, is there greed in this?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:01 pm
Nemesis
I don't think that falls into greed. Welcome to A2K :-)
0 Replies

nemesis

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:09 pm
Why? I'd love to win a lottery (but too lazy to buy a ticket Razz ) or get a cool job like Bill Gates or Henry Ford Smile I would retire after my first million, of course.
Question: can the feeling that makes you keep working after your first million be called greed?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:12 pm
Montana-- I bet you would share your lotto money.
After getting a house (not ostentatious), newer, more reliable vehicles, I'd enjoy going through the poorer neighborhoods and buying children new clothes, shoes and repairing their homes.

When wealthy people sit on money they don't need, and pay attorneys to find ways to get out of paying their fair taxes-- that is disgusting greed, IMO.

For some people, its never enough.

Responding to
Quote:
I think the whole western culture is based partly on greed. We waste natural resources and exploit the worlds poor all the while trying to keep up with the jones. We prepackage everything for convience and ignore famine, war and disease of struggling nations unless it directly affects our lifestyles. In a world where such bounty exists even the poor in the west are fat, it is unspeakably wrong to allow starvation to continue anywhere. And yet it does. Easter chocolate is harvested by african slaves, asian brothels, sweatshops employ the poorest children. We all know about it and turn a blind eye.
Shame on us.

Wasting natural resources--how is this greed? It is wastefulness, lack of foresight...but greed? Many people do recycle religiously, and make attempts to buy from companies, which are senitive to environmental concerns... I think poor people are fat because of what they eat--but why condemn western culture? I don't exploit the world's poor...do you? I think blanket condemnations such as this ar unfair. Plenty of individuals send money to African (and other) relief projects. Plenty of churches support humanitarian projects worldwide. I disagree with your post. We provide the world with a great deal of assistance.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:35 pm
I think only the person on the journey knows when they've crossed the line. There may be nothing more that some people can do than make money. They may be great at it. It becomes their purpose, whether they succeed or not. But if they have succeeded in making lots and lots of money, and they are not happy with it, and can't for the life of them find anything useful to do with it, then it wasn't very worthwhile for them now, was it? And they will know this and it will chafe them.

Outward evidence may be meaningful in this. Certainly those that are generous are appreciated by others. As well, those that contribute some measure of what they've made back into the general welfare of their world are good exemplars.
But even the generous and apparently noble may be doing these good deeds for less that worthy reasons, that are hidden from the sight of others.

To paraphrase the old blurb'; "What evil (or good) lurks in the hearts of men... only their shadow knows."

Not meaning to be too cryptic with this; it's just the Taoist thing in me, keeping me from drawing strong hard lines in the soft fuzzy world.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:35 pm
Sofia
You bet I would help people, but only the ones in need. I would also bring truck loads of food to the animal shelters. Unfortunately, I'd have people so far up my arse it wouldn't be funny and those people would be the ones who are not in need of anything. I wouldn't be very popular with my cousins, but it's not like I hear from them now, so there would be no love lost there. One of my cousins takes my son out all the time, so I'd take him to the bank to pick up the deed to his house ;-)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:41 pm
Greed can also be the obsession with power over other people. That is the most frightening form of greed to me.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:52 pm
I agree Diane.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:59 pm
Montana-- I caught your generous vibe. Very Happy Animals would be in luck if you hit the lotto!

(I can envision you buying gun/hunting shops, and having a bonfire!! Buying up land and restricting it from hunting...)

I used to buy hot dogs and serve them to starving dogs outside of convenience stores. One time, a mother allowed me to buy her barefoot child a pair of shoes at WalMart. (Of course, sometimes people look at you as if you were crazy when you ask... :wink: When I have money, it is more of a treat for me to spend it on other people, than it is for them to receive it. 'Course, you don't hold on to very long that way--but holding on to it hasn't been a goal. (I think the gift of giving must be some cosmic thing. I don't count it as a 'good deed' on my part, because it gives me such a thrill. I think things are good deeds, when they are difficult.)

My mother and I are notorious for buying clothes and shoes for kids in our economically depressed town. (She buys Bibles, too.) When I was working, I would show up Christmas Eve at the door of one of my poorer clients, who had small kids and help the parent/s hide the toys and clothes I'd bought for them. As happy as they were with the surprise--I was by far the happiest. Miss those days. Currently poor meself--but temporarily. My mom sponsers economically disadvantaged kids in sports at the Recreation Dept. This has really changed the path of several children, who'd been going home to empty houses after school. $15.00 was standing between some of these kids and structured fun--that taught them teamwork, and made them feel good about themselves...

Excuse me for going on, off topic. I just wanted to share how a little bit can change children's lives.... and a hungry dog's day.
0 Replies

nemesis

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:03 pm
Hey Sofia,
no offence meant, but I think that now you're guilty of the notorious "holier than thou" PRIDE. I hope you're not Catholic fundamentalist Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:15 pm
Sofia
You've got me pegged girl. I swear that hunting shops and bonfires do go together and thanks for the idea of buying land to make it hunt free.

That's wonderful what you and your mother do for children. There was a time when money wasn't so tight where I would help out some of my friends who had children and were struggling. When I was driving a cab I use to buy subs for some stray dags that wandered the streets. My heart would bleed for those poor animals.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:22 pm
The world is a better place with people like you in it, Sophia--Montana too.
0 Replies

nemesis

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:22 pm
Hunters' clubs (at least where I live) feed animals in winter and prevent wolves and boars from overpopulating and becoming a menace. There are also various rules for hunting seasons and such things, so I don't see how being a hunter is bad.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:26 pm
Diane wrote:
The world is a better place with people like you in it, Sophia--Montana too.

Thank you Diane. That's very nice of you to say, but I'm sure your heart reaches out just as far.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:28 pm
nemesis wrote:
Hunters' clubs (at least where I live) feed animals in winter and prevent wolves and boars from overpopulating and becoming a menace. There are also various rules for hunting seasons and such things, so I don't see how being a hunter is bad.

Hunting for survival I don't have a problem with, it's people that hunt for sport that ruffle my feathers.
0 Replies