They're driving me crazy!!!

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:41 am
Company and service bureaucracies!!! They are !!!

Are they getting to you?

Here's my latest tangle with Australia Post:

(about delivery of training material from Dulwich Centre, which is the centre of Narrative Therapy)

Quote:
To: dlowanxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:24 AM
Subject: Narrative Therapy Library ... invoice 379576382

Attn: Deborah Lowan,

Dear Deborah,

We received from the Post Office today a “return to sender” parcel of the two DVDs you ordered on Tax Invoice #379576382 that we sent to you on 15th April.

The address we sent it to was:

Deborah Lowan

xxxxxxxxx Road

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It would be great if you could let me know the correct address so that we can re-send the order to you.

Warm regards,

Jane H.

Dulwich Centre Administration

Phone +(61-8) 8223 3966

Fax +(61-8) 8232 4441

www.dulwichcentre.com.au

www.narrativetherapylibrary.com

Quote:
Hi Jane,

You had the address correct, but the parcel cannot be delivered to my address, because the letter boxes are too small.

The courier says he left a notice in my box that the parcel was to be picked up at Fxxxx Post Office, but I did not receive it.

I DID receive a final notice some weeks later, and called Fxxxx PO, and, as usual, asked them to send the parcel to Uxxx PO. This is because Fxxx only opens 9.00 to 5.00 M to F, which, oddly enough, are also my working hours.Well, not really, since I work longer hours than that, but that's not important right now....

Uxxxx PO opens on Saturday morning. Sadly, however, Australia Post will not deliver my parcels there, because it is not the nearest PO. They USED to demand that there were three attempts to deliver the parcel to my address, even though it cannot be received at my address, before they would send it to Uxxxx.

Happily, they will now send it to Uxxx after one failed attempt...provided I actually GET the card notifying me that there is a parcel.

So....the day after I received the second (although to me it was the first) and apparently final notice, I called Fxxxx and asked them to send the parcel to Uxxxx.

I also asked then to send a note with the parcel saying that I would be picking the parcel up on Saturday 16th May.

I fully expected to do so on, as it transpires, Saturday 16th May.

However, your email informs me that the 16th May message was not passed on, and that someone....I know not whether it was Uxxx or Fxxxx...has instead decided to return the package to you.

Interestingly enough, I foresaw the likelihood of such a scenario, and attempted to call Dulwich on a number of occasions to see if I could arrange to pick up the package myself directly from you.

It will perhaps surprise you to know that I was unable to make contact with you....even when the voice message said you would be there.

Such is malign fate.

Frankly, I am shaking at the mere thought of entrusting the DVDs to the hands of Australia Post again.

Given that I live in Pxxxx, and work at the xxxxxxxx, I am frequently near Dulwich Centre.

Might we, perhaps, together, find a time when I, the parcel, and Dulwich, occupy the same space-time continuum for a period sufficient for the parcel and I to meld?

To expedite such (I having called Dulwich again on several occasions today sans success) am wondering if your delightful self might call your humble correspondent on xxxxxxxx to arrange a time for me to pick up the DVDs?

Now THAT, my friend, was a bloody narrative!

Now, seriously and all....I don't know if you recall me Jane, but i was a dulwichite in the late eighties and early nineties.

I have been wondering so much how you are, what with Michael's death and all.

I do hope all is as well as it can be with you and the troops.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Dulwich troops))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Please give me a call, so I can pick up the goddamn DVDs!!!!!!

Much love,

Deb Lowan

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:49 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Might we, perhaps, together, find a time when I, the parcel, and Dulwich, occupy the same space-time continuum for a period sufficient for the parcel and I to meld?

Laughing

(You actually know this Jane person?)
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:51 am
@sozobe,
Yes indeedy.

Haven't talked to her for years.

She said the email made her nearly wet herself!

But...I'd have sent it anyway.

Because...if you don't laugh, it's not good.
sozobe

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:51 am
@dlowan,
Well that seems a good start towards the you+DVD melding...
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:52 am
@sozobe,
We shall meld sometime next week.
sozobe

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 07:53 am
@dlowan,
Vunderbar!

Happy melding.

(It seems like "shall" may be a trifle presumptuous, given the history? Nonetheless, I hope "shall" shall be the correct word.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:14 am
@dlowan,
Me and Telstra (the major Telephone provider) some time ago when I attempted to buy broadband internet services from them.

The deal is negotiated, and we are about to have me pay the first month's fees over the phone, when a problem occurs in relation to sending me the modem.

T=the Telstra rep.
M= moi

T: Now...the address where we send the modem...that would be your home address?

M: I assume your couriers do not deliver on weekends?

T: No, they don't.

M: Ok...would they deliver to work?

T: Sure!! What's the work address;

M: Moi,
XXX Service,
Level x
x building
xxx X Road
XXX Adelaide

T: I am afraid that won't fit in my box.

M I beg your pardon?

T I can't type all that in the box provided.

M Well, can you write outside the box?

T No, it's a computer box, it won't let me.

M Well, can you CALL your despatch section, and give them the address verbally?

T No.

M What?

T No, I can't.

M I am talking to the biggest telecommunications company in Australia and you are unable to telephone your despatch centre?

T Yes.

M Yes you can, or yes you can't?

T Yes I can't.

M Can I ring them?

T yes.

M So, I can call them and give them the address?

T No, but you can call them and they will be able to tell you where the package is!

M They can tell me where the package IS, but I can't tell them where it NEEDS TO be?

T yes.

M What good is that?

T You'll know where the modem is!!!

M But, unless the modem and I intersect, that is of no earthly good to me.

T Well, yes, I can see the problem.

M Because, without the modem, I can't get the service I am paying for.

T Yes. Could we use a smaller address?

M Certainly, however, with a smaller address, the courier won't find me.

T Why?

M It's a big, multi-building, higgle piggledy piggledy hospital. I get lost. Everyone gets lost.

T Can we deliver to your stores area?

M No...they get very angry when private goods are delivered there...and they likely won't accept it, and I will get yelled at. If they can find me.

T Oh, I see.

.....silence while I wait for a solution from T.......

M So...you're telling that me that you won't take the money I was happily about to give you because a computer box isn't big enough?

T Ummmmmmm

M Can I speak with a supervisor?

T Why?

M Well, I am hoping that, somewhere in your company, there may be someone who can either make your computer boxes bigger, or who is able to speak to your despatch department.

T Hold please ma'am.

T Lengthy bad music, infomercials, and assurances that, despite my big address, i am important to them.

T I have spoken to my supervisor and she says you can call the despatch department.

M And give them the address?

T No...but they can tell you where your package is!!!

M But I cannot make the package and me be in the same place?

T Ummmmm

M Well, I am sorry, but I am unable to give you my money then.

T Pardon me?

M I am cancelling the agreement.

T What?

M If I cannot access the service I am paying for I will not pay for it.

T Oh

T What can I give as the reason for your cancellation today ma'am?

M Your box is too small.

I am off to find a providor with a bigger box.

T. Ummmmm...

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:36 am
@dlowan,
"Your box is too small." Wonderfully versatile phrase, that. I think I'll start using it.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:38 am
@sozobe,
Kinda Seinfeldian, isn't it?

Is "box" as much a double entendre there as here?
sozobe

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:39 am
@dlowan,
I dunno how much it is there, but it is here. Not huge, but used.
boomerang

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:40 am
@dlowan,
<snork!>

That's hilarous.

Did you find a provider with a bigger box?
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:42 am
@sozobe,
Do weird conversations with bureaucracies happen there?

That conversation is pretty much verbatim...only she went on more about the wonders of being able to track the modem, even though it was only to see it going places where I wasn't.

And I went on more about it...even mention that it was like where the woozle wasn't, which she didn't get, and I thouight Americans wouldn't get, either.

But I amused the hell out of myself!
spikepipsqueak

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:43 am
@dlowan,
dlowan, I would sympathise with both scenarios, really I would, but I am laughing really hard and can barely catch my breath to type.

Here's one to add to your collection.

I live in a tiny country town and the infrastructure isn't laid down, in many of the streets.

A friend recently built on a block which runs between a lane and a street. The 2 privatised operations which now do the work instead of Telstra don't talk to each other, and one of them ran a wire from her house to the street at the front. The other one ran a cable all the way down the lane at the back and hooked it up to the exchange. Someone at Telstra insists that because both jobs have been done she should have a phone service and no-one seems to care about the 150' airgap. She is considering alcoholism as a solution.

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:44 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

<snork!>

That's hilarous.

Did you find a provider with a bigger box?

Oh my yes.

My providor (the same one I have used my entire net career) has a huge box.

It's SPEED sucketh mightily, however.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:47 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Alcoholism and Telstra are made for each other!!!!

I (puffs self up) actually managed to get.....

wait for it.......

you're not going to believe it.......

reimbursement of a day's wages from Telstra!!!!

I had to take a full day off work because they would not give any indication of when a technician might come....then they stuffed up royally, and nobody came at all!!!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:48 am
@dlowan,
thanks for the laugh, wabbit.

nice to know idiocy happens upside down as well...
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:50 am
@spikepipsqueak,
But seriously....I have taken them on and won....just by contacting the telecommunications ombudsman, checking out their attitude to the problem and being sure they would support if needed, and then just needed to say that I had discussed the matter with the ombudsman's office.

They folded so fast there was a dust cloud.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:51 am
@Rockhead,
Often.

So..it happens down there where you guys live?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:56 am
@dlowan,
incompetence and stupidity seem to be necessary prerequisites for anyone in phone contact with the public.

(they prefer automated menus that make even less sense...)

but they are intensely NICE.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:57 am
@Rockhead,
DON'T START ME ON THE ******* AUTOMATED MENUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!