Is "MPAA" just a synonym for stupidity?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:32 am
According to the MPAA, teachers can't rip scenes from a DVD for classroom use... but they can videotape a TV screen playing the clip.

Even better, they're allowed to hook up the audio output to get better sound, but not the video output. WTF?

MPAA to teachers: don't rip DVDs, just record your television with a camcorder

Quote:
The Electronic Frontier Foundation's Fred von Lohmann sez, "Hearings for the DMCA triennial rulemaking are going on this week in DC, where the educational community is asking for an exemption to rip DVDs to take clips for classroom use. The MPAA responded with a video showing how to camcord (!) movies from a flat screen monitor, arguing that educators and students should do this instead of ripping DVDs. In the words of media literacy researcher Martine Courant Rife, that's like typing up a quote from a book, taking it outside, chiseling the words in a rock, photographing the rock, scanning the photo, and running OCR on it. And for what?"

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,929 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 01:25 pm
@DrewDad,
DVD movies are almost always copy guarded and I couldn't even copy any of them I tried when I had my GO player up and running (DVD/VHS combo). So unless one has separate components and wants to buy a bootlegged copy guard electronic decoder unit, you can't rip nearly any DVD's except those you make yourself. MacroVision is the common copy guard but you seldom see their logo pop up before or after a movie. Documentaries are less likely to be copy guarded, like a National Geographic special.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 02:01 pm
@Lightwizard,
A straight video/audio out line to a VCR would allow classroom use.

It was the "logic" behind the rule saying you had to use a camcorder to record from the TV, but could use the line audio, that really floored me.
0 Replies