dinner with GeorgeOB

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:15 am
GeorgeOB was kind enough to stay over an extra night in Albaturkey so that meself/Lady Diane and George could meet over dinner friday night. GeorgeOB was a delight (in spite of being republican) we had a wonderful conversation as well as decent food/wine. George expressed that he like Albaturkey (something about the light) he said that he found my thinking to be "loopy" and he consistently refers to me as "cranky". I really hope he comes back for another visit (I will need to have a case of good wine) to entice him to an evening on our patio. Lady Diane likes GeorgeOB.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,399 • Replies: 40
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:35 am
eerie I suppose but, Osso and Roger were having dinner in the same resturant at the same time (they were in the front room while we were in the back (Vivace resturatant) and they (Osso and Roger probably walked passed GeorgeOB while he was at the bar having a glass of wine waiting for me and Lady Diane to arrive.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:40 am
Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorrie were at the other end of the same bar.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Laughing I will have some LoneStar in the fridge when you arrive.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:35 pm
@dyslexia,
Well, Dys IS Loopy and cranky ! He also has detectable, if covert, Republican tendencies (that is to say he thinks for himself instead of merely repeating the mantras of the moment).

It was a very pleasant evening and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting & talking with Diane and Bob. I'll be back and will look forward to drinking some of his wine on the patio.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:40 pm
George wrote:
I'll be back and will look forward to drinking some of his wine on the patio.

Tell me when, I'll bring two more bottles..
georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:32 pm
@Francis,
That would be very pleasant.

Dys is a fortunate man in the sense expressed in the Yeats verse I use as a sig line. His crankiness is all feigned. He is loopy in that that it is hard to tell from what direction his expressed thoughts will flow from next - that makes him interesting.

Diane, like all interesting and attractive women, is perceptive, wise and, in a way that men often are not, sensible.

I'm trying to recall the folks who walked by while I was at the bar. Was Osso the .......??

When the hell are you coming to San Francisco Francis??

Francis

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:35 pm
@georgeob1,
I told you already, George, verra soon..
georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:44 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
verra soon..

I'll mark that on my calendar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:47 pm
@dyslexia,
Huh? We had left by 6 or 6:15, and you didn't meet George until seven.. or have you changed your story, you loopy guy... I remember seeing a couple of staff people and the hostess..

I'da never missed him at the bar on the way out, trust me.
(famous last words, said while wondering if it is possible..)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 02:51 pm
@georgeob1,
This is true, Dys doesn't have a cookie cut mind.

edit to add, neither does Diane, as it happens.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:40 pm
Ha! Not surprised that Georgeob1 has made another fan, despite his political leanings. Or that Dys and Di have. All of you are loopy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 03:49 pm
....and who is the loopiest of them all?

Actually, I warned dys about georgeob. I told him that at first George will make dys like him and once he's under his spell, he'll become a republican by affiliation.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:33 pm
I've been sweet on both Mame and Calamity ever since we met. However, Calamity has never given me an even break. I once thought it was Francis' baleful influence, now I realize it's me -- unfortunately, sometimes the magic doesn't work.
roger

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 04:44 pm
@ossobuco,
You got to meet George. How nice.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 05:07 pm
@roger,
???
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 06:46 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I've been sweet on both Mame and Calamity ever since we met. However, Calamity has never given me an even break. I once thought it was Francis' baleful influence, now I realize it's me -- unfortunately, sometimes the magic doesn't work.

awww, George, you know I like you!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:34 am
George wrote:
I once thought it was Francis' baleful influence, now I realize it's me -- unfortunately, sometimes the magic doesn't work.

I wish I had some influence, baleful or otherwise. Alas, it's not the case!

But I like your belief that relying on magic could do the trick.

I still keep my dreams of youth..
georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:12 am
@Francis,
Our images of ourselves don't change much as we wander through life. In fact the outside world stands still while it's we who change.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:43 am
Appropos of nothing, I just read an interesting little book about the origins of the WWII song "Lili Marlene" and the various characters who created it --
Hans Leip, who wrote the lyric poem in 1918; Norbert Schultze, who wrote the music in 1938; Lale Andersen a former Hanburg cabaret singer who performed it; and the radio station manager for the Werchmacht broadcast station in Belgrade who played what he regarded as a piece of sentimental fluff only because he had little other available material , then to find it an instant success - and later rejected by the Propaganda ministry as incompatible with their pretensions, but enthusiastically embraced by lonely soldiers and the army,... and their foes as well.

The German lyric is lovely - as well as I can translate it ...much less corny than the familiar (to me) English one. Lale Andersen's delivery is far superior to that of the rather synthetic, gay icon, Marlena Deitrich: it better reflects the sentimental quality of the poem and her almost harsh enunciation of the consonants in the lyric better conveys the rythm of the verse. Now I can't get it out of my head.