flyboy804

Thu 5 Dec, 2002 01:55 pm
I, too, opt for N.Y. cheesecake. Of course that would include German or east European cheesecake, since it's the same thing. Thumbs down on French or Italian cheesecake. Unless it goes to the bottom of the stomach like a rock, it just won't do. Another of my favorites, which I haven't had in years, is glazed berry pie. Start with the crust, then a half inch layer of custard, then a half inch layer of glazed berries (any variety), topped with meringue. Yummy!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:06 pm
Cheesecake made with quark instead of cream cheese - now that's paradise!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:24 pm
To the best of my knowledge, I never had cheesecake made with quark cheese so I can't make a comparison. If it is creamy and dense, I'll give it a fightin' chance, but if it is light (ricotta) or similar to whatever the French use, I doubt that it would please me. I am very fond of both French and Italian baked goods, but not when it comes to cheesecake. All hail Napoleans!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:36 pm
Quark is what is used to make 'proper' German cheesecake. Und das sagt die Helga. It results in a less slimy cheesecake than the type usually found in North America.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:52 pm
Well then, there is an excellent chance that I have had cheesecake made with quark, both in Germany and in "real" German restaurants in New York. I'll have to ask next time I dine in one. I'll also be on the alert for slimy vs non slimy.
0 Replies

estrella

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 08:56 am
Phoenix---Ohhhhhhh, yessssssssssss--key lime pie! Last time I had a really good key lime pie is years ago when I visited Fort Lauderdale and my hosts took me out to an elegant old restaurant overlooking the waterfront. It's been so long ago--in the 60s--I can't remember the name, but I certainly do remember that pie! The KL pies they make over here in the Southwest rarely measure up....I keep trying to match it, though!!!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:03 am
Once I ha d akiller PecanPie in Savannah, but that's too(?) far to go for a desert, so I'll settle for our cook's Tira Mi Sú, it's so good it just makes me want to go home and slap my ma'!
0 Replies

the prince

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:09 am
Tiramisu
Strawberry Cheesecake Icecream

Damn, here I am trying to loose weight..even fantasizing abt sweets makes me gain fat
0 Replies

mac11

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:29 am
My solution for eating out and having no room for dessert is to order one to go! And sometimes we just go out for dessert, even better.

I'm not a chocolate fan - so there's that much more for the rest of you. Anything with caramel or fruit gets me, though. The last memorable dessert I had was an apple crisp with caramel ice cream.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:33 am
There's a "dessert" restaurant in Greektown on the Danforth in Toronto, i fergits the name, but i'm sure Lovey can supply it . . . maybe Café Demetri? Anyhoo, they gots pages and pages of decadent desserts, ice cream and crèpe-based, mostly . . . ah, i'm in heavean when we're there . . .
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:06 am
Pecan pie and Jamocha Almond Fudge ice cream.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:12 pm
I'm not a big ice cream eater (though I will go for a Carvel sundae a couple of times a year), and I don't especially like nuts so the pecan pie is out, too. But the crepes sound great!

When first married, hubby was a student and one day he decided to surprise me. While I was off supporting us, he made crepes. Stuffed them with orange marmalade (the only 'filling' he could find in the apartment) and, when I came home, tried lighting them by pouring some Cointreau over them and lighting a match. Well, of course, the wouldn't light, so he poured some more and tried again. And then again. Never got them to light (we know the proper method now), but they sure were delicious and we got really potted on just a couple of crepes each.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 07:14 pm
Just about anything, the richer, the more combination of things, the more bizarre = the better!
0 Replies

bandylu2

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 09:27 pm
Can't say I know of too many bizarre desserts. And if I did, I suspect I'd probably shy away from them. I'm a French Pastry/Cheescake person -- rich, yes; bizarre, no. But whatever turns you on is fine with me.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:44 pm
As long as there is lots and lots of chocolate and no raisins I will eat any dessert.
0 Replies

urs53

Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:51 am
Oooh, I love dessert! The sweeter the better. All things chocolaty - that's for me! Tiramisu - heaven!

I don't consider cheesecake a dessert, though. Another nice German tradition. You can have dessert and later on you can have coffee and cake.

Beth, who's Helga?
0 Replies

Heeven

Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
Home-made Favorites:
#1 = Trifle
#2 = Pavlova

Restaurant Favorites:
#1 = Hot Walnut Brownie with whipped cream
#2 = Cheesecake with whipped cream and fresh strawberries on top
0 Replies

bandylu2

Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:56 pm
urs -- that's a tradition I could definitely live with.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:00 pm
ice cream cake (goes bake to when I was a child)
rum balls
toffee bark
baklava
frozen yogurt
berry pie
pumpkin cheesecake
chocolate torte
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 9 Dec, 2002 10:09 pm
urs - Helga is my mother, and sometimes theHelga is in me - explaining the PROPER Prussian way to do things.
0 Replies