USA, Canada, Sweden, Germany

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 07:09 am
... have reached the half-finals of the FIFA Women's [Soccer] World Cup.

And there's still no interest?

Link to the official homepage:
FIFA Women's World Cup USA 2003
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,960 • Replies: 59
No top replies

the prince

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 07:11 am
Somehow women in shorts are not the same thing as men in shorts Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 07:15 am
I want to know where Canda is?!?!?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 07:20 am
Well, even I knew it, they aren't playing women football. :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 07:39 am
Well, hey... I watched the USA-Norway game with my daughter's old coach a couple of days ago. We had a great time as two old geezers watching 'em play. And I'm looking forward to Sunday when the USA plays Sweden (?) in Portland. We went to a few of the Women's World Cup games four years ago. There is a lot of excitement on the west coast if you know where to look.

I admit, I'm more a fan of the faster, tougher English premier league (and would be of other European leagues if given half a chance via the TV... which I'm NOT, darn it) but the women's game has its own grace. They're quite skilled and I think it's fun to watch.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:31 am
Ummm, K, were the really big country, usually pink on the maps, one of the three in north america, right above the united states, just below the artic circle, between the atlantic and the pacific. Hope that help, Wilso. :wink:

I live in a fairly big soccer town, grew up playing it. In the last few years the numbers of people playing have gone through the roof, especially womens which has quadrupled in size every year for the past 5. Indoor is big because of the weather and the venues are being built to match the demand.
Walter, I enjoyed the Canada - Germany game, I was disappointed with the result, but C'est la Vie, we made it to the semis!!!!
Go Canada

Ceili
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:34 am
Quote:
Somehow women in shorts are not the same thing as men in shorts.

And vice versa.

The U.S./Norway game was a great illustration of the importance of the goalkeeper in controlling the tempo of the game, I thought. Not enough attention is given to goalkeepers as decision makers -- the sports shows just want to see diving saves (which, speaking as a former keeper here, are way overrated, unless you're playing on concrete)...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:56 am
I'm impressed you saw the game, PD! So there's soccer shown in the midwest, eh?

Cool that you were a keeper. I'm a big fan of a team with a keeper who can control the pace. It shows respect by the other teammates. There was a bit of helter-skelter out there that needed to be toned down.

Diving saves are lovely but Norway's keeper didn't need one to snag Hamm's PK. It went right to her -- kind of odd. I like set plays and it was a USA's set play that provided the only goal. Not too often you get to see a goal headed-in by a woman.

What did you think of that high kick into the mouth of the Norwegian player? That was good for two minutes of the overtime. I couldn't believe it when the announcers blamed it on the Norwegian player because she had "her head down." Gads... that kick was shoulder-high! We expected a yellow card. We didn't see an instant replay so I figured they were embarassed at how reckless it was.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:05 am
Yeah, I couldn't believe she didn't get carded. I was surprised there wasn't any real retaliation. (Another difference between men's and women's sports, I suppose. We hairy types do like the pugilism.)

Dismal PK by Hamm, but the way she works her way into corner kicks -- she's got it down to an art. Take the ball down toward the endline, make as though to make a centering pass, and then tap the ball off the defender and out of bounds. I'd like to see how many of their corner kicks come as the result of her touches...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:53 am
Goalies decide a match, mostly, and when they make just one only mistake, they're out, usually. :wink:

What makes me wonder a bit, is that we won last night really with such a result (7:1) against Russia. (Mostly, in any sports, when Germans are a high favourite, .... Embarrassed ) Laughing
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 11:14 am
One thing is known, Walter. Any German team, no matter the level of competition, will be merciless, if given the chance.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 11:24 am
In sports, just in sports! Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 12:04 pm
um, yeah, sure.

doesn't the russian team have, like, no money, and most of 'em work day jobs or sumthing?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
patiodog wrote:
Yeah, I couldn't believe she didn't get carded. I was surprised there wasn't any real retaliation. (Another difference between men's and women's sports, I suppose. We hairy types do like the pugilism.)

Dismal PK by Hamm, but the way she works her way into corner kicks -- she's got it down to an art. Take the ball down toward the endline, make as though to make a centering pass, and then tap the ball off the defender and out of bounds. I'd like to see how many of their corner kicks come as the result of her touches...

About the retailiation, maybe this was payback going the other way... wasn't it somebody from Norway who broke Chastain's foot?

And yep, that's a cool technique Hamm has. Tap off the defender and it's her ball. Smile She reminds me of (and say boo-hiss if you want, but he's good) Beckham. It's the confidence factor, I think.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 12:54 pm
patiodog wrote:
um, yeah, sure.

doesn't the russian team have, like, no money, and most of 'em work day jobs or sumthing?

Most German girls do so, as well. Amateurs, that's how we call them. (Well, some in the 'Bundesliga' are semi-professionals, half a dozen may even be called professionals.)

My niece (actually my wife's niece)
http://meineseite.i-one.at/greimer/kader/kadgr-koeberl.jpg

used to play 1rst Austrian division and was selected to the national team (played state team regularly): they just got the money for the petrol
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 12:56 pm
Shocked, shocked I am that such little support goes to your women's soccer program. Isn't there an experimental state-sponsored opera that could be shut down for them or something? Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 12:57 pm
Hehhhh! Laughing

(They are all shut already. Nearly, I mean)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 01:00 pm
She's a good-looking young woman, Walter. I'll bet she's a terror on the field. Outside mid? She has the long, rangy look of someone who could run back and forth down the lines for forty-five minutes at a stretch.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 01:03 pm
She is the hell of a girl: played until 15 only in boy's teams (they allowed such in Austria).

Your guess re position is nearly perfect: that's, wher she liked to play, had to play although more backwards.

Nearly finished university now: journalism, will (hopes to) become a sports reporter.

(Her team, btw, plays this season only 2nd federal division.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 01:09 pm
Good luck to your niece! That's an awesome combination of strong playing skills & journalism.
0 Replies