USA, Canada, Sweden, Germany

Piffka

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:51 am
patiodog wrote:
a hideous monstrosity of a museum dedicated to what appears to be his record collection.

AMEN, Brother... I HATE that place from the outside and am too mad (too hard-headed) to spend the bucks to go in. It looks like a giant metallic worm gone mad and trying to eat the Space Needle. You make me laugh at the Paul Allen rant -- I don't follow basketball or Seahawks football, but I 'magine you are totally right about his unfittedness. I heard he pays his staff well, though.

Bill Gates became a much better man after he married, I think.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 12:05 pm
ah, whatever the reason, it happened. anyway, didn't he, like, turn thirty in that time or some equivalent (he probably started out a little behind on the emotional front)?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
Congratulations to Germany who played an awesome game against a powerful US squad.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:29 am
Congratulations to the U.S. girls, who shut up Canada 3:1 and have been winning bronze!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:42 am
I'm getting the feeling you don't like canadians, do tell?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:56 am
The reason I don't like Canada is because of all the Canadians who live there. Other than that it's a fine country. ;-)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:05 am
Well, thanks for clearing that up, Craven. I'll see what I can do to clear up the problem. Maybe borrow a couple of nuclear war heads. LA is the third largest canadian city, might start there!
Ka boom
Ceili
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 04:54 am
Ceili wrote:
I'm getting the feeling you don't like canadians, do tell?

Nothing at all (have been a lot around with them, when they were stationed here, and CFN had been my favourite radio radio station until they broadcasting in my region!), but the result was really 3:1 :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:51 am
Gutsy Germany sink Sweden

Germany started brightly and put the Swedish defence under early pressure.
Hanna Ljungberg gave Sweden the lead on 14 minutes.
But two goals from Claudia Mueller and a late strike by Maren Meinert handed Germany victory in front of more than 10,000 spectators.

Oh, Embarrassed , oops, Embarrassed , oh - wrong article: it's from the European championship 2001.

Nevertheless, one hour to go. May the best, we, Germany, win :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 11:49 am
Well,

a) not a very good match so far,
b) Sweden is definately the better team and deserves the lead.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 12:52 pm
Much better now. Let's see, what the extra-time will bring.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 01:15 pm
GLORY FOR GERMANY
http://images.animfactory.com/animations/flags/nations_g_to_n/germany_fl_md_clr.gifhttp://www.sportinglife.com/pictures/general/allsportgermanyworldcupceleb.jpghttp://images.animfactory.com/animations/flags/nations_g_to_n/germany_fl_md_clr.gif

Quote:
CARSON, Calif. (Reuters) - Germany lifted the soccer's Women's World Cup for the first time on Sunday after a golden goal from substitute Nia Kuenzer gave them a 2-1 victory over Sweden.
The match had gone into extra time when Kuenzer rose to meet a free kick from midfielder Renate Lingor in the 98th minute and headed home from 12 yards out.

Sweden had taken the lead in the 41st minute when forward Hanna Ljungberg was put clear by a fine pass from midfielder Victoria Svensson and calmly slotted the ball past onrushing German keeper Silke Rottenberg.

Germany equalized just 45 seconds into the second half when forward Maren Meinert fired home after being put clean through by a pass from fellow striker Birgit Prinz.

http://images.animfactory.com/animations/flags/nations_g_to_n/germany_fl_md_clr.gifhttp://images.animfactory.com/animations/flags/nations_o_to_z/sweden_fl_md_clr.gifhttp://images.animfactory.com/animations/flags/nations_o_to_z/united_states_of_america_fl_md_clr.gif
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:03 pm
Wilso wrote:
I didn't even know this was on. There's been no publicity about it at all. And that's pretty unusual in this sports mad country.

I knew it was on - it was mentioned, occasionally, in the 7pm news - but I don't recall any footage.
The Matildas (Australian team) got knocked out early - and the Rugby World Cup is right with us - so minimal interest.

My Swedish visitor of last year has played for Sweden - but I don't know if she's in the current team or not. When I saw her in June in Sweden, she wasn't too excited. I guess that probably means she's not in the team! Confused

Well done, Germany!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:01 pm
We were at the beach and away from television broadcasts so I missed both games. I wonder if they'll be replayed?

Congratulations to your team, Walter. It is always my preference, when we've lost to a team, if they go on to win! Doubly pleased for you.

PS -- What is the German team's nickname?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 11:16 pm
The team's nickname? I don't know of any. (Actually, nicknaming teams isn't soooo popular here as in the Anglo-Saxon countries.)
0 Replies

koolplay

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 04:51 am
German girls should deserve the crown for their generally excellent performance in this FIFA Women Football Championship.
I didn't watch the game live because it was so late here in Shanghai China.
But I got the information at the first time that in my dream Germans would lift the game for the first time in their history.It wasn't beyond my thought.
Congratulations to all the German people.
Maybe the team's nickname is "Powerful German Chariot" because of their strength and fight both as men or women.But I just guess.Smile
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:59 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The team's nickname? I don't know of any. (Actually, nicknaming teams isn't soooo popular here as in the Anglo-Saxon countries.)

... and China... the Roses, remember?
0 Replies

koolplay

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 02:13 am
Yes,Roses,it's really wonderful.
But do you know why Chinese football girls got this nickname?
Rose,a kind of flower,is so beautiful that almost everyone likes enjoying it.But have you ever had a close look?If you do,you may find some small thorns on its surface.So everyone will have the idea in the minds that Rose has the double character just like the two aspects of a coin.
Our football girls also have the double temperament.As we know,they are mild and full of femininity.But on the other hand,as long as they are in the court,they can sustain fierce and curel training no matter in the hot or the cold.
This FIFA Women Football Championship has been over for two days.Germans lifted the crown.But each women football team should get honoured.
Our Chinese girls are good and every people like them,like our Roses...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 11:48 pm
The matches in the "1rst Bundesliga" (First Federal Division) doubled the numbers of spectators in nearly all stadiums - up to 1,500. [Men football gets an average of 50,000.]
0 Replies

nsa

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:01 pm
Guten tag, y'all
I am a big fan of women's soccer, spending too many hours discussing it at bigsoccer.

The German team truly mastered the US team in the semifinal and played solidly against Sweden in the final. I've had the pleasure of watching Maren Meinert work her magic for three years with the Boston Breakers. With incredibly creative players like that it is no surprise that Germany holds the trophy.

I was able to watch four games live and many on TV. Lots and lots of untold stories. China's Steel Roses were very disappointing. Sweden was a joy to watch. Swensson was fun to interview. Brasil should have shown better in the q-final after clobbering Norway in group play. Canada was solid, but lacked finishing power.

Norway's unfortunate demise means that they will be unable to defend their Olympic title next summer because UEFA used the WWC as their qualifying tournament. The USA should be the favourite to regain the gold since Germany will be without Meinert, Bettina Wiegmann, and, likely, Steffi Jones.
0 Replies