"Impathy"

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 09:55 am
Orin Hatch, that great american republican says "Empathy is a code word for "activist judges"
dictionary.com "empathy=the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.
oh my gosh, Orin is as wrong as foxfyre claiming to be a libertarian or BBB asking "when did we stop questioning authority". It boggles the senses.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,689 • Replies: 10
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 10:10 am
@dyslexia,
I always question Dys' authoritative pronouncements with profound empathy to boggle his senses. Its the only way I can discover if he is awake.

BBB
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 03:10 pm
Impathy?

Sounds like new Zealand for empaythy.

"Orin Hatch"?

You guys have weird names.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 03:14 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Orin Hatch, that great american republican says "Empathy is a code word for "activist judges"

and "activist judge" is code for "any judge who doesn't embrace the far right agenda".

who's kidding who?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 06:57 am
Hatch, like Glenn Beck, is a serious student of libonics and both of them ought to be attended to on this important matter. It isn't, of course, that empathy is necessarily a terribly bad thing (though it usually is). More to the point, it has no fundamental place in either the constitution or in the judicial system. Strict constructionism (or strict autism, as it is termed in the academic literature) properly conceives that America's legal system is rooted in laws. Notions such as 'empathy' or 'merciful' are decorative and frivolous, like temporary pink blossoms out at the tip of fragile branches.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:26 am
Quote:
"activist judge" is code for "any judge who doesn't embrace the far right agenda".

You said it and more than likely Obama is going to fall for it.

Quote:
May 5 (Bloomberg) -- Republican Senator Orrin Hatch said President Barack Obama told him he won’t nominate a “radical or an extremist” to replace retiring Justice David Souter on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Hatch, of Utah, also said he expected the president to make his choice in a matter of days.

source

In so many ways; I am disappointed in Obama in not living up to his campaigning and trying too hard to appease the 'right' who do not have a mandate right now.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:35 am
@revel,
I think you can relax, revel. Hatch was pushing a talking point and the current strategy of making the appearance of having a principled stance (on everything) by opposing Obama (on everything). His dichotomization of empathy and law is intellectually incoherent.

Obama too in his response to Hatch (or rather what Hatch describes as that response) is forwarding a particular appearance or optic - the same one which has proved very effective as regards his approval ratings - of 'post-partisanship'.

The right is and will continue their charade but they are essentially powerless in this. Obama's personal academic history will provide him with a depth of knowledge on potential choices, aided by the research team he's had in place for a while whose job has been SC nominee vetting, and he'll get people that match his goals and judicial temperment which is not extreme.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 10:52 am
@blatham,
so, it's the other shoe of American politics. The left show was worn for the last 8 years with any number of bleating oppositionists employing the current strategy of making the appearance of having a principled stance (on everything) by opposing Bush (on everything).

It's nothing new and now your side gets to see the sole of the shoe.

yay.

I must admit that some of the hypocrisy I see from those that had so recently worn the shoe to be rather entertaining. I mean to what end will the libbies go in defense of the black knight?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 11:00 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I mean to what end will the libbies go in defense of the black knight?

Their Black Knight is not capable of defending himself.

http://www.linustechtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/monty-python-black-knight.bmp
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 07:24 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I must admit that some of the hypocrisy I see from those that had so recently worn the shoe to be rather entertaining. I mean to what end will the libbies go in defense of the black knight?

This libbie has been very vocal about voicing displeasure with Obama and his being way too soft on changing some of Bush's policies regarding domestic spying and in not going in full tilt in investigating wrong doing with the torture memos with the intent to prosecute at the end of the day if said wrong doing is to be found.

I very much hope your right, blatham.
blatham

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 05:49 pm
@revel,
Quote:
I very much hope your right, blatham.

I am.
0 Replies