3
   

Microsoft just announce that a XP emulator will be in Windows 7!

 
 
BillRM
 
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 11:58 am
Microsoft in order to sell ever increasing overdone operating systems are going to allow some versions of Windows 7 to have an XP emulator.

So in effect they are agreeing with me as I am moving to a dual boot systems with linux and xp.

It time people to consider bailing out of microsoft OSs that need to have major patches at least once a month even with XP that been aound forever now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 10,994 • Replies: 50
No top replies

 
Robert Gentel
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 12:06 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
So in effect they are agreeing with me as I am moving to a dual boot systems with linux and xp.


No, what they are doing is opening the door for them to be able to ditch legacy issues while still giving people an easy way to use programs they have come to depend on. This should allow them to make more dramatic improvements in fundamental ways Windows works, as they will be providing an easy fix for backwards compatibility.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 12:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
So this is your and Microsft idea of an easy fix!

They had been trying to get people to move from XP with everything short of using a shotgun on their customers and yet years after Vista had been released and now the new Windows 7 is about to be release the majority of users are still using XP!

Sorry but the days when Microsoft can force down the throat of thier users any junk OS they choose to is at long last coming to an end.

I been running microsoft OSs since the days of dos 3.1 but it is past time to end this one sided relationship.
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 01:08 pm
Sounds like a step up from "application compatibility" settings.

Really, the corporate world is very conservative, and will only support new operating systems when absolutely necessary.

This is simply (or not-so-simply) a way to encourage corporate adoption of Windows 7.

I note that it requires processor-based virtualization support.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 01:34 pm
@DrewDad,
Most people do not wish to change OS for the soul reason of helping Microsoft bottom line out.

If your customers do not see any advange to them of "upgrading" they are going to be very slow in so doing.

Microsoft had stop selling XP not because there is no demand for new copies but to once more try to force their customers into unwented and unneeded so call upgrades.

Netbooks can not run Vista/window 7 so instead of keeping selling xp they are trying to force such computers to try to run a very cripple version of Windows 7.

They care nothing for their customers desire having the market lock up for OSs except for the Mac and linux both are now enjoying an increase in market share as a direct result.


Robert Gentel
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 02:07 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
So this is your and Microsft idea of an easy fix!


No, but it's a good step forward. There is a lot of silly things about the fundamental structure of Windows that they need to get away from but backward compatibility needs have limited their ability to do so. This is a way for them to start to work towards a break from the legacy burden.

Quote:
Sorry but the days when Microsoft can force down the throat of thier users any junk OS they choose to is at long last coming to an end.


If you don't want to use it don't. I really don't care and have no dog in that fight.

Quote:
I been running microsoft OSs since the days of dos 3.1 but it is past time to end this one sided relationship.


Is it? Or are you just going to keep using their products while complaining about being forced to?
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 04:07 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Most people do not wish to change OS for the soul reason of helping Microsoft bottom line out.

If your customers do not see any advange to them of "upgrading" they are going to be very slow in so doing.

Isn't that what I said?

BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 04:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It frankly had been sounding like you are a shareholder of Microsoft not someone that does not have a horse in the race.

And yes I will continue using XP and all the softwares I had gather over the years /decades that will work under that OS, however I have zero plans on going one step forward from XP under the Microsoft family.

They are going to be the loser in the end as I am not the only person I had talk to that will not run Vista or Window 7 or whatever new names for OSs they come up with in the future.

Thank god for linux.

Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 05:35 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
It frankly had been sounding like you are a shareholder of Microsoft not someone that does not have a horse in the race.


Nonsense, I am no fan of Microsoft, I just don't agree with your positions and your irrational tirades about them.
Intrepid
 
  2  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 06:46 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

BillRM wrote:

Most people do not wish to change OS for the soul reason of helping Microsoft bottom line out.

If your customers do not see any advange to them of "upgrading" they are going to be very slow in so doing.

Isn't that what I said?




You seem to have made the mistake of using plain, clear and concise English in your post. It appears to have gone over Bill's head.

Your point, however, is well taken. Wink
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 06:51 pm
@BillRM,
Most people will continue to use what is pre-installed on the machines they buy. Most people and even corporations go with the status quo. Windows is a resource hog and computer manufacturers just keep upping the capabilities of their machines to accept it.

Did you know that there is already talk of Windows 8?
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 07:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Irrational? If Microsoft customers wish to used XP or for that matter window 3.1 or dos then the damn company should sell it not try to force OSs versions down their customer throats by refusing to sell older versions. XP still have a majority of windows computers and yet they are refusing to sell new copies of that OS. I love them selling Vista and then “allowing” people to downgrade to XP for a surcharge!

Only a company with contempt for their customers due to their controlling market share would not as a matter of course supply their customers wishes. Now for a surcharge for only some versions of Windows 7 they will allow you to have a XP emulator. How nice of them to do so!

Please tell me that XP is not a far better OS for netbooks for example then a cripple window 7 version that can only run three tasks at a time! I had not hear of anything so lame since OS2 that would only run one dos program in a window.

Right now for myself I am running everything from a ti99 emulator and dos box emulator for some games to a very old laptop with windows 3.1 and Norton dos on it in order to run a very old flat bed scanner.

There is currently in my household one dual boot system running Linux and windows 98 and one dual boot system running Linux and XP and three running just XP.

In any case it would be nice if Microsoft would try to convince their customers that Vista or window7 and future versions are worth upgrading to instead of trying to place a gun to their head to do so.
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:41 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Irrational? If Microsoft customers wish to used XP or for that matter window 3.1 or dos then the damn company should sell it not try to force OSs versions down their customer throats by refusing to sell older versions.


Yes, irrational. Here's a good example, selling an old operating system comes at a cost to them as they must support what they sell. What other major operating system vendor sells their nearly-decade-old versions for comparison? You are faulting them for what every major OS vendor does, they end-of-life their old versions in order to focus their resources/sales on the new ones.

There are plenty of legitimate knocks on Microsoft but your complaints are pretty silly.


Quote:
In any case it would be nice if Microsoft would try to convince their customers that Vista or window7 and future versions are worth upgrading to instead of trying to place a gun to their head to do so.


Well they certainly do try but it's clear you remain unconvinced, however that doesn't mean they have a gun to your head for doing what all software developers do and phase out old software.

You are freaking out all on your own, of all the legitimate things to be pissed at Microsoft about you are whining about them trying to evolve past decade-old development.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 03:08 am
@Robert Gentel,
You must indeed own shares in Microsoft there is no other logical reason for defending the actions of this company.

Vista accourding to thier customers is not a better OS then XP anymore then dos 4 was a better OS then dos 3.1 and if that was not true they would still be willing to sell XP if there is a demand for this OS.

I take note that you are not even claiming that a cripple version of windoes 7 is a better OS then XP for netbooks!

Yes they did spend millions running Ads trying to convine their users that vista was better without any success at all as we both know.

If they did not at the moment have a 90 percent of so share of the OS market place we both also know that they would not dare to act as they had been doing in this regard,

Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 03:28 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
If they did not at the moment have a 90 percent of so share of the OS market place we both also know that they would not dare to act as they had been doing in this regard,


They got this share despite what you are saying.

You must have a short memory if you think that DOS 3.1 was superior to DOS 4.0. Have you forgotten that each version of DOS got better as they went along? How big of difference do you see between Windows 98 and XP?

Maybe you should stop your whining and change those remaining 98 and XP machines over to Linux and be done with it. I still have copies of DOS 5.0 and 6.2 that I could let you have.
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 03:33 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
You must indeed own shares in Microsoft there is no other logical reason for defending the actions of this company.


No, I don't own any stock. Your complaint is just silly, I don't need any financial interest disagree with it.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 03:54 am
@Intrepid,
Lord you do not remember how many bugs was in dos 4 and that people refuse for that reason to "upgrade"?

BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 04:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
SO you support moving people to a cripple version of window 7 for netbooks that will only run 4 programs when netbooks have more the enough power to run full versions of XP?

What benefit does cutomers get from that move my friend?

For that matter you support the forcing down the throat of users any OS they would not willing buy freely or forcing customers to buy Vista and then pay extra to downgrade to the OS they wish to have in the first place!!!!!!!!!!
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 04:43 am
In any case the actions of Microsoft is slowly lossing them their market share and therefore the power to do what I am complaining about.

Who would had dream a year ago that they would need to be running advs attacking Mac computers on price issues in order to try to slow this decline.

I would not be surprise if they will in the near future start running advs attacking Linux.

The only way of stopping themselves from lossing market share is to stop trying to force their customers into actions they do not care to take.
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 11:41 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
You must indeed own shares in Microsoft there is no other logical reason for defending the actions of this company.

Logic fault: non sequitur.
 

Related Topics

Clone of Micosoft Office - Question by Advocate
Do You Turn Off Your Computer at Night? - Discussion by Phoenix32890
The "Death" of the Computer Mouse - Discussion by Phoenix32890
Windows 10... - Discussion by Region Philbis
Surface Pro 3: What do you think? - Question by neologist
Windows 8 tips thread - Discussion by Wilso
GOOGLE CHROME - Question by Setanta
.Net and Firefox... - Discussion by gungasnake
Hacking a computer and remote access - Discussion by trying2learn
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Microsoft just announce that a XP emulator will be in Windows 7!
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 08/12/2020 at 09:38:19