You are not wise to removed an OS your customers desire for one they do not period no matter how old it might be. The age is to me completely beside the point.
Which is why Microsoft won't do so till it's no longer in such demand.
An OS that their customers are eager to upgrade to not one that you try to force them kicking and screaming all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!
And nobody is being forced to upgrade, much less kicking and screaming. Do you have nightmares with Bill Gates or something? Where is this nonsense coming from. You can go by a computer with XP right now and don't need to kick or scream.
Please tell us all how Vista/window 7 is better to any degree at all! We know it take one hell of a lot more resources and have very slight security improvements but that is all that.
The ones I care about:
- Stability. As long as you don't have an underpowered machine this is the most stable version of windows I have used. Much fewer kernel panics than in any previous Windows version.
-Windows Shell (Windows Explorer) is much more powerful. Offering many more ways to sort and organize data
- File search actually works, unlike XP
- Graphics engine renders windows separately, no longer does one frozen program make a big hole in all the graphics like in XP
- Much more secure. UAC actually lets you use the computer without running as root with fewer problems than in XP. Some fundamental ways programs work have been vastly improved in Vista.
- Windows Firewall actually scans traffic going both directions, unlike in the past.
- ReadyBoost lets you just plug in flash memory to get a cache boost, almost like adding plug and play RAM.
- Windows update is improved with more sensible defaults as well
- Doesn't come with IE 6, which is an abomination to the internet.
- Windows Sidebar is a better way to do gadgets than they used to, and marks the first time I started using desktop gadgets regularly
- Windows Media Player 11 search as you type, and other things that make it easier to navigate a large library.
- Back up and restore improvements. I still don't use the built-in tools for this, but this is much better than they ever did before.
- Bitlocker gives you full volume encryption.
- IPv6 we are running out of IPv4 addresses and must evolve. Vista is the first Microsoft operating system that supports this very important next step in TCP/IP progress.