I always said he'd either be an actor or a con man....

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 03:24 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Ohhhh I don't think so, David. Mo still holds his dream of growing up to be a garbage man and that's fine with me. If something like this came up again I might consider it, if it's something Mo wanted to do.

There were millions of opportunities for things to go bad, which I think is what Osso was trying to tell me. We were lucky that things went so well.

It really was hard work and that's what I'm glad he got out of it. I think once he sees the movie (sometime in August) that he'll really appreciate how a whole day boils down to a few minutes. I think he'll understand that creating something is hard and I hope he learns that artists, no matter the medium, create things just because they love to create things.

For me it was really good to see Mo interact with people who don't know his history and struggles and therefore set low expectations for him -- he wasn't the "weird" kid or the "slow" kid or the "troublemaker" -- he was just the kid. It was nice. Really, really nice.

What history was that ?

Anyway, I was not a witness to it, and so cannot judge his talent. U can.
Seriously, if possible, there can be a lot of money for him as a child actor,
while he remains a child. That expires thereafter.

U might consider Macauley Culkin (sp?) for example; "Home Alone" et seq. who did $fairly well$.
Presumably, he be a happier garbage man with a few million $$ in the bank.
However, as a practical matter, u need to strike while the iron is hot.
Of course, I 'd never suggest that Mo be pushed to anything that he dislikes.

I sincerely wish u and him the best that life has to offer.

I like to remember what Richard Bach said in his Reluctant Messiah book:
"we are the otters of the universe" i.e., we owe it to ourselves to have a good time. Good Luck!

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 03:49 pm
I know! It is awsome!

And he managed this despite me and Mr. B being his back-monkeys!

David, Mo has a strong work ethic (he would much rather have a job than go to school) but like I said... I'd let him do something like this again but I'm afraid that anything that even hinted at money would drag some biological madness out of the closet. I almost said no to this for that reason. Mo doesn't need a parasite.

We adopted Mo when he was five. He had kind of a hard go early on and some problems still linger from those experiences. We have an open and agreeable relationship with several members of both sides of his biological family but it is better to not give the others a reason to contact him.

When he grows up he can pursue fame and fortune but as his parent I won't have any part of it while he's a kid.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 04:41 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I know! It is awsome!

And he managed this despite me and Mr. B being his back-monkeys!

David, Mo has a strong work ethic (he would much rather have a job than go to school) but like I said... I'd let him do something like this again but I'm afraid that anything that even hinted at money would drag some biological madness out of the closet. I almost said no to this for that reason. Mo doesn't need a parasite.

We adopted Mo when he was five. He had kind of a hard go early on and some problems still linger from those experiences. We have an open and agreeable relationship with several members of both sides of his biological family but it is better to not give the others a reason to contact him.

When he grows up he can pursue fame and fortune but as his parent I won't have any part of it while he's a kid.

Mo is very fortunate indeed to have u and your husband.
I can see from your posts that u r a very honorable person. America needs more citizens like u.

In the event that Mo goes the Macauley Culkin route to riches,
he can have his compensation deposited directly into a trust
so that he gets 100% of it, plus interest.

Anyway, I sincerely wish u all the best.

Did he wear the striped shirt ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 05:07 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

We got the script today and it's pretty good! Over dinner I gave Mo and Mr. B the lowdown on how the story unfolds and Mo thought it was hilarious (and it is in a black comedy (or 8 year old (hmmmmm)) sort of way) so now he's doubly excited.

Mo's part is a bit bigger than I thought but will probably only translate to a few minutes in the actual movie.

He was very pleased to see that one of his ad-lib lines
from the audition made it into the actual script!

He's quite clever, our little Mo!

I can relate to that, a little bit, indirectly:
several years ago, I met Suzanna Gratia Hupp at an NRA meeting.
Her baby crashed into my left leg, as I was standing in the hall.
She was among the innocent (unarmed) victims of a massacre
because she obeyed the local gun control law, leaving her gun
in her car, inaccessible when she desperately needed it to save her mother n father.
She was later elected to the legislature and repealed the offensive gun control law.

Chatting with her, I said that gun control is O.S.H.A. for violent criminals,
protecting them on-the-job from the defenses of their victims.
About 2 or 3 years later, I saw her interviewed on the ABC-TV Network news,
and she repeated that line.

That was FUN; I enjoyed hearing that line.
My argument got broadcast from Canada to Mexico, from sea to shining sea.

What u posted reminded me of that.

David
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:01 pm
Boomer, I'm glad it was a good experience for Mo. I look forward to hearing his critique of the final product (and yours too!)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 12:18 pm
I guess this is where things get complicated....

It turns out that one of the main people involved in the little movie works for a company that casts extras in big movies. She is currently working on a *Major Motion Picture* that is filming here. She sent me an email to see if Mo might be interested.....

I told Mr. B about it and he says we should let Mo decide.

I haven't told Mo about it yet and I'm really wrestling with whether I should or not....

He wouldn't actually be in the movie, just in the background of the movie. He might think it would be fun to be in a movie that will be in movie theaters. It might be fun for him to see how the "big guys" do things.

I don't know......
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 12:33 pm
@boomerang,
Just catching up. That's great that Mo enjoyed it so much.

I think your concern about the biological madness is well-placed.

Tough call on the extra part. Seems like you should eventually tell Mo about it once you turn it over in your head a few times.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 12:39 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I guess this is where things get complicated....

It turns out that one of the main people involved in the little movie
works for a company that casts extras in big movies.
She is currently working on a *Major Motion Picture* that is filming here.
She sent me an email to see if Mo might be interested.....

I told Mr. B about it and he says we should let Mo decide.

I haven't told Mo about it yet and I'm really wrestling with whether I should or not....

He wouldn't actually be in the movie, just in the background of the movie.
He might think it would be fun to be in a movie that will be in movie theaters.
It might be fun for him to see how the "big guys" do things.

I don't know......

I think Mr. B is right.

I bet he 'd love it.
Maybe Mo can invite his best friends
to the movie to see if thay can find him in the movie.
It was nice of your friend to think of Mo.

Al Hitchcock used to do that in his movies:
he 'd be an inconspicuous extra somewhere.
The audience who knew about it might try to catch sight of him.

In Las Vegas, at the Penn & Teller magic show,
unannounced, covertly, in poor lighting,
Penn Gillette played the overture before the show
among their musicians. I just thought: that looks like
the shape n size of Penn Gillette.

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 08:46 pm
I didn't feel right about not telling him about it so after rediscussing it with Mr. B I brought it up over dinner.

We don't really go to the movies so when I told Mo is was a big Hollywood type movie he said "You mean like "Ghostbusters"? That cracked me up. His frame of reference is a 25 year old movie.

Boy would he ever be surprised to find out Dr. Vinkman is actually older than me now.....

You know, we like to have fun, we like to take advantage of opportunities that come our way, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

So anyway.... I wrote back for more info.....

Crap.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 08:52 pm
@boomerang,
Great! Sounds good to me...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 09:36 pm
@boomerang,

Was he happy to hear of the opportunity ?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 04:52 pm
Yes he was happy, but wary. Like I said about the other day -- it was a lot of work.

Anyway, after hearing back with more info today, and talking it over with him, he decided to take a pass on this one.

I think that's a very, very good decision.
sozobe

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 06:29 pm
@boomerang,
Glad it worked out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 06:37 pm
@boomerang,
Good.. for the judgement going on.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 11:26 pm

I guess thay don 't pay the extras enuf
to justify the work.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:45 pm
Oh my gosh!!!!

They're having the "premiere" at a local theater this month!

I'm so excited.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:09 pm
@boomerang,
The striped t-shirt!
boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Indeed!

Mo won't have anything to do with that stack of striped t-shirts insiting they are Patrick's, not his.

He still won't eat popsicles either.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 04:04 pm
@boomerang,
ahh, Mo's a method actor.

Exciting about the premiere coming up.
boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 04:21 pm
@ehBeth,
It is exciting.

And I know it's silly to be so excited but I can't help it. I'm just proud of Mo for trying something new and giving it his best shot and doing pretty good at it. It's nice for him to get some pats on the back.

The "premiere" is really just a cast party type thing at a small local theater that showcases local filmakers and artists of all sorts; a bring your friends and family sort of thing.