I always said he'd either be an actor or a con man....

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 09:53 am
Well I 'm glad to see he is pursuing the actor gig over the con man one.

Best of luck and have fun with it!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 08:55 pm
We got the script today and it's pretty good! Over dinner I gave Mo and Mr. B the lowdown on how the story unfolds and Mo thought it was hilarious (and it is in a black comedy (or 8 year old (hmmmmm)) sort of way) so now he's doubly excited.

Mo's part is a bit bigger than I thought but will probably only translate to a few minutes in the actual movie.

He was very pleased to see that one of his ad-lib lines from the audition made it into the actual script! He's quite clever, our little Mo!
roger

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2009 09:53 pm
What's with the strip shirt? He gets to play a convict, or something?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 11:55 am
You need to get him a publicist.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 08:03 pm
A publicist? Really? Ya' think so? Isn't that some kind of cyst that you get from a public toilet? I'm not sure why he needs one but if you say so.....

I'm not sure about the striped T-shirt. I didn't see it mentioned in the script. Maybe they were just pulling my leg. I've watched some of the other mini-movies the guy has made and there doesn't seem to be a "Blue Velvet" thing about striped T-shirts or anything so I'm guessing maybe he owns stock in The Gap.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 08:32 pm
@boomerang,
Incredible!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:53 pm
How much will he be paid for one day's work?
boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 09:52 am
@Sglass,
It's a volunteer position.

We're approaching it as an adventure -- something fun to try, with a hint of seriousness in that it takes a big team to make a movie and as part of that team he'll need to listen and try his best.
Sglass

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 12:17 pm
@boomerang,
He must be so excited.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:16 am
Tomorrow is the big day!

I'm kind of nervous. I hope it turns out to be a fun experience for Mo.

We received some stills from scenes shot earlier and it was good to be able to show Mo the kind of camera and lights and "tricks" they use to make a movie.

Keep your fingers crossed that he has a good time!
mac11

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:18 am
Break a leg, Mo!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:40 am
@boomerang,
I bet he'll do great!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 12:56 pm
Thanks mac and soz!

I think it was looking at those production stills and getting "shot schedules" and such that started making me feel nervous. I think it dawned on me that these aren't a couple of people just goofing off but a LOT of people who have put serious time and money into creating something.

They seem to know what they're doing and they have a lot of confidence that Mo can pull it off.

I hope they'll let me take some photos tomorrow!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 10:17 pm
I just have to say that I am so insanely proud of Mo for the way today went. He was an amazing trooper and he had so much fun.

It was a very long day and he held it together so well, even when they handed him yet another dreaded mango popsickle, even when it was wait, wait, wait and wait again, even when it was "one more time for safety".

He played this really quirky kid who has quirks that are the opposite of Mo's quirks and he did GREAT.

The people involved were just absolutely lovely and fun.

The other kid who was in it is an actual actor in Seattle who came down here for the part, which was much smaller than Mo's part, so I guess Mo landed a pretty plum gig.

When we left he told the director "I'd like to be in more of your movies if you ever need another kid".

Even though it was tiring I can't imagine a better adventure into something so completely new.

I don't know if he'll ever do anything like that again but I'm so glad he gave it a try and had fun with it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 10:44 pm
Ohhhhhhhhh, great, great. great.

I have an oddly similar experience at eight and nine, sort of put in by my father the director, among all the child actors. Still have stills of the makeup...
I've no defense for my being there, seems like nepotism in my case, but it was in very early tv.

But past all that, a wider view, for a kid.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 11:21 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Quote:
I just have to say that I am so insanely proud of Mo for the way today went. He was an amazing trooper and he had so much fun.

It was a very long day and he held it together so well, even when they handed him yet another dreaded mango popsickle, even when it was wait, wait, wait and wait again, even when it was "one more time for safety".

He played this really quirky kid who has quirks that are the opposite of Mo's quirks and he did GREAT.

The people involved were just absolutely lovely and fun.

The other kid who was in it is an actual actor in Seattle who came down here for the part, which was much smaller than Mo's part, so I guess Mo landed a pretty plum gig.

When we left he told the director "I'd like to be in more of your movies if you ever need another kid".

Even though it was tiring I can't imagine a better adventure into something so completely new.

I don't know if he'll ever do anything like that again but I'm so glad he gave it a try and had fun with it.

CONGRATULATIONS to u and Mo!

I 've heard that to join the actors' union,
u must have had some experience, so now he has it.
I hope he 'll get rich, rich, rich and richer!

Maybe try him in commercials

David
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 01:00 pm
Ohhhh I don't think so, David. Mo still holds his dream of growing up to be a garbage man and that's fine with me. If something like this came up again I might consider it, if it's something Mo wanted to do.

There were millions of opportunities for things to go bad, which I think is what Osso was trying to tell me. We were lucky that things went so well.

It really was hard work and that's what I'm glad he got out of it. I think once he sees the movie (sometime in August) that he'll really appreciate how a whole day boils down to a few minutes. I think he'll understand that creating something is hard and I hope he learns that artists, no matter the medium, create things just because they love to create things.

For me it was really good to see Mo interact with people who don't know his history and struggles and therefore set low expectations for him -- he wasn't the "weird" kid or the "slow" kid or the "troublemaker" -- he was just the kid. It was nice. Really, really nice.
JPB

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 01:04 pm
@boomerang,
<smiles>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 01:05 pm
@boomerang,
Awesome!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:50 pm
@boomerang,
And given the cross he has to bear living with you and Mr. Boom, well it was . . . er . . . uhm . . . wait a minute . . . uhm, i'll get back to ya . . .
0 Replies