Cell phone/call back etiquette

chai2

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:27 pm
Pet peeve time.

This is even more annoying than back in the day when someone would star 69 your number, for example at work. Back then someone would call in on some rollover line, grunting "someone called me from this number" You'd ask their name, and they'd get defensive saying "YOU called ME"...well, no, I didn't, it could have been 1 of 10, 20, 50 people, and no, when you didn't answer the phone they didn't make the announcement to everyone "hey, I just called some asshole. If he calls back, it was from me." So you finally get a name, like "joe" and you call out, "did anyone call a joe?".....no joe, no one called you....
"Well SOMEONE called me from there, I just STAR 69'ed you!"

whoa, I mean, get back jack, I guess it's impossible someone missdialed, and hung up on your machine, or before anyone answered. You're too smart for me joe.

Now, it seems hardly anyone freaking listens to any messages left on their cell phone, and just calls back whatever number shows up on their caller ID. Even more annoying is that I'll be leaving a message on someone's VM, only to have another line start ringing while I'm just starting the message. I'll rush through the message, pick up the ringing line, and it's the douchebag I was leaving a message for. For cripes sake, if you realize your phone just picked up a call, would you at least wait a minute before calling back, and freaking check your message first?

goddam morons.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,822 • Replies: 7
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:31 pm
The message on my cell phone is "Don't leave a message." I hardly ever turn the darn thing on so if someone leaves a message it could be weeks before I hear it.

I can't imagine dialing *69 to find out who didn't leave a message. If they didn't leave a message it wasn't important, right? People really do that? Crazy.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:32 pm
@chai2,
well yes, I, too, hate goddamn morons, but what I really hate are godblessed morons.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:42 pm
@chai2,
I hate people who call me on the phone. So basically, I've got it all covered.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:50 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

The message on my cell phone is "Don't leave a message." I hardly ever turn the darn thing on so if someone leaves a message it could be weeks before I hear it.

I can't imagine dialing *69 to find out who didn't leave a message. If they didn't leave a message it wasn't important, right? People really do that? Crazy.

I don't know that people use *69 anymore. I have as little to do with telephones in my personal life as possible.
Back when, I always got the impression people who *69 someone were laboring under the fantasy they had stalkers.

The people that do that most are people who are looking for a job, and I've called them.

OK, look. You looking for a J...O...B...for once in your life realize that people will be calling you to find out if you're responsible enough to work for them....that also means taking that damn hippity hop music off your phone, since the potential employer doesn't want to listen to that ****. aight?

Actually, this calling and not knowing who you wanted to talk to wasn't as big problem until recently. A few weeks ago one of our recruiters moved to Austin, so she's officing here now. She leaves tons of messages for people. Where I work, whoever is nearest a ringing phone picks it up, so no, just because I happen to pick up the phone doesn't mean I called you.

If you were looking for a job boom, you'd be checking your messages.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 01:20 pm
@chai2,
I will do this sometimes - so I am the jerk dirt bag or whatever the devil you called me. It costs me money to call my voice mail (or minutes as I have a certain amount of minutes to use) so if you have the same service; ie. friends and family thingy - it doesn't cost me money or minutes to return your call. I can view the number when I have a missed call so there is no *69 needed (which would probably cost more as well).

Sometimes there are logical reasons.
mismi

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 01:28 pm
@Linkat,
I don't answer my phone or return voice mail anymore. This has taken care of it all quite nicely.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 01:41 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Even more annoying is that I'll be leaving a message on someone's VM, only to have another line start ringing while I'm just starting the message.

This happens to me all the time when I call my wife's cellphone. By the time she hears it and digs through her purse to find the phone, it's gone to voice mail.

I hate it when people abbreviate things like voice mail. Reading abbreviations actually slows the reader down, although it speeds things up for the writer. Plus, abbreviations can mean many things. VM, for example, means "virtual machine" in my industry.
0 Replies