Thumbs up & thumbs down: a question ..

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:30 am
Has they way thumbs up & downs are registered here changed recently?

Sometimes I'll simply post to a thread & it receives a thumbs up ... but at other times I try to give a thumbs up to a thread I really appreciate & it doesn't register.

Just curious to know. I'm not exactly losing sleep about this, or anything .... Wink

View best answer, chosen by msolga
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 01:15 am
@msolga,
Un huh. You're behind again.

If you post on a thread at all, that's an automatic thumbs up. If you manually, so to speak, thumb it up, well, we can't have you voting twice, can we?

What happened, good threads lost out by being thumbed down one time, and noone was bothering to thumb it up. They changed it to eliminate this distortion.

I don't do either, by the way, unless my only purpose is to get a thread out of my sight. I do that to most of the word game type things, and it doesn't mean I really dislike them; I'm just tired of seeing them on my screen.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 01:46 am
@roger,
Quote:
Un huh. You're behind again.

If you post on a thread at all, that's an automatic thumbs up. If you manually, so to speak, thumb it up, well, we can't have you voting twice, can we?

So it seems, Roger! I'm behind again!

I honestly hadn't noticed that simply posting to a thread meant an automatic thumbs up! (Guess who hasn't been paying attention!)

So, I guess this means, if I post to a thread, but it's not a thread that I'd particularly want to give a thumbs up ... that I then must give it a thumbs down to make my real intention clear? Wink

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 01:48 am
@roger,
...thanks for the thumbs up, Roger! Very Happy
roger

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 01:59 am
@msolga,
Erm. . . . All I did was reply, but you knew that, of course.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 02:02 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

So it seems, Roger! I'm behind again!

So, I guess this means, if I post to a thread, but it's not a thread that I'd particularly want to give a thumbs up ... that I then must give it a thumbs down to make my real intention clear? Wink

Yes, but I think that if you reply, it stays on your list of viewable threads on new posts. That is, replying carries greater weight than a thumb down. That's what I think.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 02:09 am
@roger,
Well yes, but I can also choose to see it as a thumbs up! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 02:17 am
@roger,
Quote:
Yes, but I think that if you reply, it stays on your list of viewable threads on new posts. That is, replying carries greater weight than a thumb down. That's what I think.

That's interesting. I would have thought that a thumbs down would put the thread title in the "below the viewing threshold" category. Now I know different!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 02:27 am
Love the little "selected answer" symbol:

http://able2know.org/static/images/icons/rosette.png

But don't often get the opportunity to use it.
I should ask more questions!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 03:34 am
@msolga,
I only use the thumbs down to collapse all the game threads that show up on the in box each ,morning. So I really dont use the feature much.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 04:42 am
@farmerman,
If I can see someone's gone to some trouble, or created a particularly interesting thread, then I do like to give them some credit, show my appreciation, with a thumbs up. Besides, they might create even more interesting threads! Which we sure could do with at the moment!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 05:06 am
How do the rodents kick in the "featured answer" thungy.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 05:24 am
@farmerman,
Sorry, farmer? Confused
You talking about roger's post?
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 05:39 am
@msolga,
yup, neat little surprise in being a "Featured Answer" Guess Ill have ta clean up my language to be considered.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 05:43 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, it's pretty nifty, isn't it?
But this feature is only available on threads in which you "ask a question" (as opposed to "start a discussion").
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 05:30 pm

you can also thumb-up a thread by tagging it...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 06:57 pm

thumbs have disappeared...
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 06:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
sorta...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 07:00 pm
@Region Philbis,
They're still there ... if you move your mouse around. They are for some reason invisible. I noticed this happen after I got some kind of weird error message while trying to reload the new posts page.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 07:01 pm
@tsarstepan,

i ain't clickin' on no invisible buttons... no sir!