So who is watching this season of Survivor?

Roberta

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 03:07 am
So Coach tells his friend that he's running the show. Does he believe it? Probably.

Debbie escaped her fate and got an extra week of the game.

As I watched the reunions with the people from home, I had to wonder what the survivors smelled like. No soap. No toothpaste. No nothing. Thud.
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 04:43 am
@Roberta,
This show is so contrived that I quit watching during the second year. Too Heisenbergey
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 06:44 am
@Roberta,
(Gently lifting my skirts above my ankles and tip toeing around Farmerman's snarky remarks)

"They call me the Dragonslayer" - so who else cracked up when Coach spewed that little bit of rubbish? And who asks to be visited by their work assistant instead of a family member or romantic partner? This guy is the most pathetic player ever.

I thought the Taj reunion was actually touching and I'm rarely moved by such drama.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:03 am
@Green Witch,
Yeah the Taj thing was sweet - wasn't Debbie's exit speach about the nicest I've heard.
Coach is about the biggest loser I've seen - other than the other guy on a previous season who did not have any friends and didn't like people - his only friend was his dog. At least Coach had a work associate to invite.

Yeah farmerman is just above the rest of us and doesn't appreciate crap TV like us.
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:03 am
@Linkat,
I love crap TV. I am the Duke of Crap. Its just that, once I learned how scripted the show was, I couldnt truct anything that happened anymore. Id rather Watch "Bear" get mashed in a waterfall in "Man v Wild"
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:05 am
@farmerman,
Face it you're a TV snob!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 01:58 pm
I was doing a quick search for Coach, because I figured something may have come out about him not being for real and the one interesting thing I found is that he was fired from his coaching job because he never told them or asked them for leave time. Bone head.

And the Stephen immunity challenge I guess was a pretty big deal - copy and paste from Jeff's blog:
"The Immunity Challenge " let me be clear about something. What Stephen did was jaw dropping amazing. We rehearsed that challenge several times. Our smartest guys practiced that challenge. Nobody came close to memorizing the numbers in one pass. Stephen was so far behind, much further than we even had time to show, that I wasn’t even paying attention to him. I thought J.T. had it in the bag. Stephen finally returns and like a mad scientist starts scribbling numbers down as fast as he can. I was checking my cheat sheet, I couldn’t believe he had it right. You can even see me double checking it again after he said he had it. I had to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Our crew was talking about that for a couple of days. Very impressive."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 02:46 pm
Quote:
"They call me the Dragonslayer"

OHMYGOD that was so frikken hilarous!!!!

The way he said it and everything.... just too, too funny.

That guy is such a trip. I love that Jeff teases him about stuff and then last night he told Jeff how he welcomed the scrutiny. I can't wait for the truth to come out about that guy. If even a tiny fraction of anything he's said is true I'll be dumbfounded.

With Debbie gone he has to know he's on the chopping block so next week should be especially fun.

Stephen was pretty amazing at the challenge. I wish they had a clip that showed the whole thing. I'd love to see how far behind he actually was.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 03:37 pm
@boomerang,
Stephen I love his explanation - well phone numbers are 7 digits so I calculated a phone number with the equations blah blah and lost everyone but other genuises. I think Stephen has a man crush on TJ.

Coach is a legend in his own mind. Either that or he is the best actor ever.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:03 am
So the voted Coach off - I actually felt bad for him in this episode (not all the drama about being hurt and stuff), but he seemed lonely and I thought if all they came to visit him was an asst coach, he must be a lonely person.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:10 am
No sympathy from me. Maybe he's lonesome because he's such a lying bag of wind. Who would want to be with this person?

This episode was the Coach Show. Feh.

I think things will start get interesting now.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:23 am
No sympathy from me either. What a drama queen with his whole vision quest, falling apart, please don't call the medical team, loving his samuri look. The guy is beyond narcissistic.

I will give Steven credit for actually seeming concerned about him. That was unexpected and really pretty nice.

Have you watched the Ponderosa videos on the CBS site? Coach gets a video from "the assistant coach" (quotation marks courtesy of CBS, not me) where the assistant coach talks about how quiet the house is and how he can't wait for Coach to get back so he can fatten him up and how Coach's mom and and dad really miss him?

He's not so lonely.

I think if JT hadn't won immunity that Steven would have flipped on him.

JT's immunity idol isn't good anymore so he'd better watch his back!
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:57 am
@boomerang,
I was thinking that about Stephen took - about him taking JT out if JT loses immunity. Stephen is cunning. But on the other hand I think Stephen has a man crush on JT even so that he is blinded by his crush.

No I didn't see anything with a video about Coach - I tried doing some searches on him - because I am convinced there is more to him - like he is acting this way on purposes - I just can't imagine anyone could actually be that insane and that convinced he is as great as he appears to think he is.
boomerang

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 10:22 am
@Linkat,
Is a man crush the same thing as a bromance?

I saw this blog posting of Jeff's....

Quote:
I've hosted Survivor for 18 seasons, and up until now there has only been one person I thought might be worthy of their own show and that was Boston Rob. That is, up until now.

I am seriously considering a show called The Dragon Slayer. It's about a guy who lives in a world that exists solely in his own mind, and thus is invisible to the outside world. While it is the year 2009, the Dragon Slayer dresses like he's just returned from one of those Renaissance fairs where he's just finished eating a turkey leg the size of a small dog. We'll simply follow his daily life, where every time he leaves his home offers the potential for a life changing, near-death, journey. Every episode concludes with his signature line:

Coach: "Hence my name, the dragon slayer."

more: http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/04/jeff-probst-b-2.html

I did come across something that confirms that Coach is a symphony conductor: http://www.susanvillesymphony.com/
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:49 am
@boomerang,
Oh, my....that was priceless - thank you - I've been laughing my a$$ off here.

Did you read about the Maestro? They have a bio and it says "Originally from Knoxville, Tennessee, Benjamin J. Wade began as a child prodigy on Trumpet, making appearances with the Knoxville Symphony, the Indianapolis Symphony, and the New York Metropolitan Opera all by the time he was 17" If the Dragon Slayer did not make this up himself - then maybe he was one of those oddballs ultra intelligent people. You know so intelligent that they are socially deficient.

As far as the man crush - that is from Senfield - when George had a man crush on Elaine's boyfriend - the good looking guy that Elaine just dated for his looks. George even made sandwiches for him on their rock climbing adventure and would copy this guys sense of style (ie baseball cap turned backwards). Sort of like you idolize him.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:50 am
@boomerang,
"One of his proudest accomplishments came in 1996, when he set the world’s record for the longest solo kayak expedition (6,132 miles) when he paddled from San Felipe, BC to Punta Charambira, Colombia."

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 12:11 pm
Quote:
Trumpet Guild Competition CG Conn Award in 1988

Who really won?

http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/9605HarR.pdf

Who really has kayaked furthest?

Quote:
Paul Caffyn’s Australia Circumnavigation, 1981 John Dowd calls Paul Caffyn the most important sea kayaker alive. He’s circumnavigated Iceland, Japan and New Zealand, but those trips don’t hold a candle to his masterpiece, the Australia circumnavigation. Over a 360-day period, the New Zealander logged 9,420 miles circumnavigating Australia. Setting out in December from Queenscliff near Melbourne, Caffyn’s expedition was no casual trek of paralleling a coastline-Australian waters host some of the most fearsome sea conditions found anywhere. Caffyn faced the expected sharks, which consistently bumped his 17’10" Nordkapp Isadora, but also a tropical cyclone, crocodiles, sea snakes, mangrove swamps and Australia’s legendary surf.
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 12:27 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah I read similar - Wade claims he has - did you look at his website?

Man - the more I read about him, the more I am amused by him - as much as I disliked him - it won't be as much fun on the show.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 04:24 pm
Disappointed that JT and Stephen dumped Taj.

Not surprised at the outcome, although I was a bit surprised that JT got all the votes.

JT cleans up REALLY well.

Smile
0 Replies