Television questions

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:34 am
I've just now moved into the first place I'll ever have lived which has an up-to-date television feed (FIOS) of any sort and have been looking at television sets and am confused along several lines.

I can see the difference between the older HD sets with 13-something by 768 resolution and the new ones with 1920x1080, but an ebay search on 1080p and 32 produces a range of prices from around 550 usd to around 1000 for sets which appear entirely similar to eachother.

I'd appreciate hearing from anybody who understands some of what you'd be paying for as you go from low to high in 32" up to date HD TVs.

Again I've sort of lost touch with television in recent years and for the last two or three years have been mostly watching youtube in lieue of TV.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,223 • Replies: 6
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:49 am
Vizio 32"
DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:52 am
I suspect the cost difference is for "LCD" or "Plasma" models.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:56 am
@DrewDad,
Who or what exactly is Vizio, and why do I see a hundred dollar spread more or less on their newer 32" sets on ebay? I mean, I know they have a good reputation but starting from ten years back I'd never heard the name.

Some of those sets on ebay say "Java" and others don't; any idea what that means and if they mean the Java programming system, what anybody would use that for in a TV set?

The stuff I'm looking at is all LCD, no plasma models.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 11:11 am
I've read that until you get up to the really big sets (above 40") there isn't much visible difference between 720 and 1080. Haven't been looking for TV sets, but when buying other electronics, if you google "reviews of x", where "x" is the brand name, model number, and product (like "television" or "digital camera" you'll usually get a bunch of professiional and consumerfeedback on how well the thing works.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 12:52 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
why do I see a hundred dollar spread more or less on their newer 32" sets on ebay?

I suspect it has to do with how fancy the van was that they bought it off.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2009 07:48 am
Thanks for the help here people. Best shots appear to be Walmart and pricewatch.com, ebay appears to be too much of a sellers market on this one and I suspect that might be driven by people in areas in which large outlets aren't there. I've seen one or two other categories of things for which ebay was not the answer.
0 Replies