childhood bedwetting

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:27 pm
My 5 year old grandson has a bedwetting problem. What can we do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,490 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:29 pm
@mimi2Wes,
nothing, ignore it, adapt with rubber sheets, but, whatever you do DONT make an issue of it.
mimi2Wes

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:31 pm
@dyslexia,
He still wears diapers for bed. No one says anything. I was just wondering if there was anything we could do. I am sure he will out grow this. Thanks for your response.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 06:38 pm
@mimi2Wes,
I wet the bed till I was 9 or 10, later in life the docs discovered I had a kidney abnormality, but in my earlier childhood my father decided I was too lazy to get up in the ight, he destroyed my child-ho0d ego, I will never forgive him for that.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:03 pm
@dyslexia,
OtMG is brings up lots of really bad memories, Yes, I was a bed wetter, and my father never let me forget it. there are so many reasons, psychiological/physiological, blame the child and you are a monster.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:17 pm
@dyslexia,
dys, that horrible! I'm sorry that happened to you.

Definetly talk to his doctor to make sure there aren't any physical problems contributing to his bedwetting.

My son had some.... errrr.... upheavels.... during his early life that led to periodic bedwetting so really be honest with yourself (and his doctor) about any stress or problems he might be having.

One thing that really helped us was switching to diapers that weren't so super absorbant so that he would feel when he was wet. Cloth diapers are great for that.

I know it can be really frustrating but dys is right -- how you handle it is really important. Long term important.
mismi

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:27 pm
@boomerang,
So sorry Dys...

My 9 year old still has problems. He is 47 lbs and just very small for his age. His bladder is not fully developed (just not big enough). We just let him wear pull ups until it started bothering him.

Then when he expressed his unhappiness we started asking him not to drink past 6:30pm and took him to the bathroom around 11:00pm. Sometimes at 2:00am as well. His bladder will get bigger eventually and we won't have to worry about it anymore. He is such a heavy sleeper that he does not wake up with an alarm (for bedwetters). He won't wake up when we take him to the bathroom either.

The dr. just told us to be patient and he would stop. We really just tell him he will sleep through the night without wetting the bed when his bladder gets big enough. We reassure him that it will happen soon enough.
0 Replies

candide

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 04:04 am
@mimi2Wes,
LEAVE THE KID BE!!!!

Who made you god? All you grown ups are FUCKED IN THE HEAD!
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:54 am
@mimi2Wes,
My six year old still pees at night as often as she is dry. I put big kid pull ups on her and forget about it.

She is a heavy sleeper is all I can figure - at the last Dr. appointment I mentioned it and the doctor said don't worry some kids just have a harder time with it.

Is the child's doctor concerned?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:56 am
@boomerang,
I agree - buy the cheapest least comfortable pull up - just to make sure he isn't lazy or too comfortable in them.

My daughter says she doesn't like them so she has incentive - as long as all us is going well - then I look at it as if this is the one area she is a bit behind in - could be much worse things to be behind in.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:59 am
@candide,
she probably is just concerned that there could be a problem - it doesn't appear as if she is making the child feel bad about it.

And to let you know not all grown ups are bad guys and some kids are f*cked in the head as well.
0 Replies