Weepy films

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:01 am
patiodog, Bernardo Bertolucci of "1900," "The Last Emperor" and "The Conformist" fame directed "The Sheltering Sky." A lot of scenery with some action and dialogue that didn't add up to the spirit of the novel. Nothing wrong with the cast (Deborah Winger and John Malkovitch) , just an unfilmable book that Bertolucci attempted and failed. Incredible cinematography as would be expected and about the only thing going for the film.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0100594/combined
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 11:26 am
Well, with such high recommendations... Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 11:37 am
I cried when I saw what Joel Schumacher did to the Batman franchise.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 12:00 pm
None of the subsequent "Batman" movies were nearly as good as the original.
0 Replies

tribal

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:00 pm
i find that with the english patient, as with so many other movies (meet joe black for example) it is not so much the story or the acting as it is the score.

i am a soundtrack jukie
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 08:32 am
tribal, interesting....I think I posted a few soundtracks on your thread that we own. Sometimes I find that a complete lack of music can really build tension though.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 11:48 pm
A Walk to Remember
Life as a House
Hope Floats

pardon me while I grab a tissue before I ruin my blue. Dab me eyes lest I cry again poor BlueMonkey.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 06:44 pm
My Life As A Dog: 2 particular scenes. The first when the young boy realizes that his beloved mother has died. The 2nd when he realizes that his dog has gone forever. Both scenes reduced me to a blubbering mess, much to the embarrassment of my companion. Embarrassed

Speaking of the English Patient: The scene where he finally manages to return to the cave & finds her dead. And he carriies her body outside into the light & sort of roars his grief. Terribly sad!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 04:51 am
A couple of weeks ago I bought the Lion King DVD and watched it again - make me teary eyed when Mufasa dies trying to save Simba
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 05:31 am
While it had a happy ending, Finding Nemo had it's moments, and even the reuniting in the end is pretty moving for an animated flick. Speaking of The Lion King, we watched the E-True Hollywood Story on Michael Jackson (yes, that bastion of truth in celebrity, heh heh) and the Jackson family lawyer explained the baby dangling as "an African tradition, just like in The Lion King, when Mufasa holds up Simba to the whole tribe". Call me crazy, but when did Disney become experts on African traditions? Rolling Eyes They must be paying this lawyer a LOT of money.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:17 am
GET OUTTA HERE!! DID HE REALLY SAY THAT??!!
Disney would know more about African tradition than Michael Jackson, I would guess.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:20 am
Hell yeah, eoe. Mrs. cav and I nearly pissed ourselves.
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 09:35 am
The Joy Luck Club....All of the mothers' stories are amazing...but when the mother holds her daughter's face in her hands and says, "I see you," I start crying every time. I love the story between mothers and daughters, what hopes mothers have for their children, the almost purposeful misunderstanding of the daughters. I loved the book and loved the movie.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 01:24 pm
Oh yes. The Joy Luck Club is truly a weeper. The part that gets to me is when the baby sister goes to China to meet her older sisters and has to tell them that their mother is dead.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 06:26 pm
Just watched "The Joy Luck Club" again this evening. It was torture almost and I turned away several times, feeling the tears starting but finally I just let them flow. It's such a heartfelt movie. And I miss my mother so much.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:13 am
I am not the weepy kind, being a northener to the core. Tearjerkers are rare in Scandinavian film history for the same cultural reason. The one notable exception that springs to mind is Dancer in the Dark (Lars von Trier), but I thought that one was too melodramatic.

Films that have moved me (if not to tears) would be, for example, Opname (1979), which I find much more believable than Terms of Endearment, and the film every American has seen: It's a Wonderful Life (1946, did nobody mention that one? After Old yeller I thought this was the most cried over film in Hollywood history even though nobody dies).

Old Yeller, E.T. and Bambi didn't do anything for me, but The Green Mile was pretty moving and Beaches too (I love Bette Midler as a singer).

I think that next to this thread, there should be a thread about the ultimate feel-good movies (would be welcome as it is the season for it, and there are plenty of reasons to feel bad on the nightly news). Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:17 am
Having seen some moving films since (and remembered some others), here is an addition to the above list:

Finally having seen Antwone Fisher (2002), I agree that it definitely must be in this thread.
The Wool Cap (2004), also about family and abandonment, but totally different, was pretty moving too.
Menolippu Mombasaan (2002) is a rare example of a Finnish melodrama, works more on the tearducts than Umur (2002), but the latter is a better movie.

The great absent title in this thread must be The Champ (1979). Don't tell me you were unmoved by the sorrow of the little boy.

I am also surprised that no one mentioned The Passion of the Christ (2004), which alledgedly had whole theatres weeping (It personally moved me as much as seeing my butcher make filet mignon, but then I am not religious, nor an adept of Mr Gibson)

Numerous people were also deeply moved by Amistad (1997) and who could forget Awakenings (1990)?

And Finally, I might also mention Lukas Moodyssons filck, Lilja 4-ever (also 2002, looks like that was a good year for tear jerkers!).
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:40 am
Forest Gump.... The climax. Sooooooo wonderful and sobbing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:49 am
Sorry if these are repeats but-
The Color Purple
Copacabana
The English Patient
A Wonderful Life