Weepy films

cavfancier

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:30 pm
So to speak, Sofia Laughing heh heh...different vein...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 03:35 pm
"Trainspotting" was able to really convey the degradation and dispair of drug use and didn't just ask a question, "Why?" If interpreted fully, it had a lot of answers.
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:30 pm
I cry everytime I watch Rudy and Searching for Bobby Fisher... I would guess Rudy is tears of joy, not sure about Bobby Fisher, tears of joy too!?
0 Replies

tribal

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:36 pm
the english patient
the princess & the warrior
american beauty - even though i know he is going to die, i just bawl everytime i see it.
the thin red line - same thing as american beauty
braveheart
edward scissorhands
Requiem for a Dream
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 06:36 am
The line "To my brother--the richest man in town" in Its a Wonderful Life. I've seen it 25-30 times, and I always have that same emotionally full, chillbumpy reaction.

Rudy, too.

WELCOME, TRIBAL!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 08:10 am
Welcome to the Dollhouse got me a little misty....
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:17 am
I sort of had the Elaine Benis reaction to The English Patient.
I would have crowbarred him, could I have gotten in the screen...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 09:57 am
"Oh...Raif, yes, I will wait in this cave for you..." Puuh-leeze. The English Patient did nothing for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:18 pm
I have, though, liked some of this writer's (Sebastian Faulk's) books, though not all of his that I've read. Did like The Girl and the Lion d'Or, and Birdsong. Haven't seen the movie or read the book of English Patient, somehow didn't want to, even though it was set in Italy, about which we all know I am nutso.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:24 am
"The English Patient" is a labyrinth of events and characters that was difficult to bring to the screen and it is definitely not a traditional weeper. I was moved not to tears but to the transitory nature of love and life's sometimes twisted provenance. It's a film that cannot be absorbed in one initial viewing as it just asks a lot of questions without seeming to give any answers. A third time left me appreciating the film a lot more than the initial viewing. I found the same thing happened with "Eyes Wide Shut" except the casting still bothers me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:46 am
I read "The English Patient" before seeing the movie....maybe that's what put me off. I think I went in with a preconceived notion that it was indeed too complex to accurately bring to the screen.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 01:35 pm
Definitely not a cinematic novel. It reminded me so much of "The Sheltering Sky" and that was a couple of notches below the adaptation of EP.

But seeing it again and trying to put the strong narrative of the novel out of my mind, it was a entirely different way of conveying the story and it does work to the same end.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 02:05 pm
Talking about Welcome to the Dollhouse, Todd Solondz's humor is pitch black. I really felt for the plight of Heather Matarazzo's Dawn Wiener. Her family's oblivion to her plight--having gone from West Caldwell, NJ searching for her lost little sister to NEW YORK, and having slept there in the gutter after her unsuccessful search, and then having returned home to find a media circus after her sister had been recovered, and no one having noticed she was gone the entire night was wrenching and comical at the same time.

Solondz's Happiness and Storytelling, which I just saw last night, are also very good films. Happiness is excruciating to watch.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:26 pm
You're really getting out to the art cinema houses, InfraBlue -- I envy you that you have someone who will go!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:02 pm
LW, I had the same feelings about The Sheltering Sky....loved the book, hated the film. InfraBlue, I saw Storytelling which was numbing, to say the least. I will have check out Happiness next time it comes around on digital cable.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 01:54 am
Sounder. I saw it once years ago. But I still get teary eyed when I think about the scene when the father comes home.

Shop on Mainstreet. This was a Chzeck (sp?) film about the Nazi occupation. I cried so much I had to leave the theater. I never watched another movie about Nazis. Too sad.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 01:49 pm
The dead poets society gets to me...teenage angst hurts and can obviously hurt so much you never get through it. Sad but true film...xxx
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:40 pm
Old Yeller is my #1 tear-jerker. There was another critter movie, about a horse, I think the film was named "Snowfire"... haven't seen it in decades, but thinkin' of it gives me a little throat lump. Steve McQueen's Le Mans got to me too, when I realized the shattering of the Porsches wasn't a special effect. And ya know, I don't mind a bit draggin' out "The Bear" whenever the nieces, nephews, and/or grandkids are around.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:29 am
There's a film of the Sheltering Sky? How the hell'd they do that? I remember about 3/4 of the book consisting of internal monologue...
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 01:01 am
My Life, with Michael Keaton. . . . At the end of the movie, when he's 'reading' his son a story. . . gets me every time.
0 Replies