How would the liberal media cover this?

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 09:34 pm
What if Sarah Palin said Austrian was a separate language?

What if George Bush went on a European tour and got absolutely no support for more troops to Afghanistan or more stimulous money?

What if John McCain bowed to a Saudi ruler?

What would you all be saying now? What would the headlines be like on HuffPo and DailyKOS? What would the posts look like on Democratic Underground? How would it be reported in the NY Times or Washington Post?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,633 • Replies: 32
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 10:56 pm
@Primotivo,
But. . . But, Austrian is a separate language. Quite similar to German, though.
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:35 pm
@roger,
Bush bowed to the Pope, no big deal

Austrian german is not the same as standard German, so its called Osteriech Deitsch. Switzerland also has its own language. Youre picking flyshit from pepper Privo.

Sounds like you and Sarah need to catch up on language distribution

As far as the support for Afghanistan, hes still being looked on as just another Bush, who cultured all the recent enmity from our allies. Its gonna take time . Besides, Europe and Asia blame the worldwide econ crash on us.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:57 pm
@Primotivo,
You know the answers to your questions, just as you probably knew how the folks to whom you directed the question would respond.

The media's bias is maddening as well as blatant and dangerous, but most liberals will never admit that it exists.

Why would they? If even they pointed it out, it just might change and they would lose a tremendous political advantage.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 12:07 am
I don't have a problem with media bias, as the masses are responsible for staying educated enough to discern bias. A much more serious problem is the erosion of free speech, because without it the masses can never know what is true and what is not. The liberals and their crack-pot "political correctness" are primarily to blame for this attack upon democratic principles, and the attack must be repelled.

Quote:
For years, the Western world has listened aghast to stories out of Iran, Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern nations of citizens being imprisoned or executed for questioning or offending Islam. Even the most seemingly minor infractions elicit draconian punishments. Late last year, two Afghan journalists were sentenced to prison for blasphemy because they translated the Koran into a Farsi dialect that Afghans can read. In Jordan, a poet was arrested for incorporating Koranic verses into his work. And last week, an Egyptian court banned a magazine for running a similar poem.

But now an equally troubling trend is developing in the West. Ever since 2006, when Muslims worldwide rioted over newspaper cartoons picturing the prophet Muhammad, Western countries, too, have been prosecuting more individuals for criticizing religion. The "Free World," it appears, may be losing faith in free speech

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/09/AR2009040903155.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Jeremiah

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:42 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Bush bowed to the Pope, no big deal

Austrian german is not the same as standard German, so its called Osteriech Deitsch. Switzerland also has its own language. Youre picking flyshit from pepper Privo.

Sounds like you and Sarah need to catch up on language distribution

As far as the support for Afghanistan, hes still being looked on as just another Bush, who cultured all the recent enmity from our allies. Its gonna take time . Besides, Europe and Asia blame the worldwide econ crash on us.

They speak German in Austria. It's the same German they speak in Germany. Sounds like you need a basic course in linguistics. Obama asked how to say something IN AUSTRIAN. He is an idiot. And if you believe Austrian is a separate language too, then you are like Obama.

Afghanistan- they look at him like another Bush??? This has to be one of the craziest things anyone has ever said. What about Zero's European tour during his campaign when the throngs of worshippers wanted to wash his feet? What about all the Leftist nutballs and uninformed Centrists in the US who voted for him because he's NOT Bush?

Bush is a Christian. The Pope is a Christian. It is SOP for a Christian to bow to the leader of the Church or even kneel before a priest. Just for your education, the Pope is not the leader of a state. So Obama bowing to a foreign ruler is the same in your eyes?
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:50 pm
For YOUR educatioin, Jeremiah. The Pope is Catholic. Bush is not. The pope is NOT the leader of his church. It is NOT SOP for non-Catholics to bow to the pope, and it is certainly NOT SOP for non-Catholics to kneel before a priest.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:54 pm
@Jeremiah,
Quote:
They speak German in Austria. It's the same German they speak in Germany. Sounds like you need a basic course in linguistics. Obama asked how to say something IN AUSTRIAN. He is an idiot. And if you believe Austrian is a separate language too, then you are like Obama.
Well, sounds like Im not the one needing any lessons. Austrian German is a dialect and has many different language terms different than standard German. Just like Swiztcher Deitsch, Osterreich Deutsch is recognized as a separate language dialect. Just like PA Dutch speakers can have problems understanding Standard German speakers and vice versa. I can think of many specific nouns and verbs that have different dialect structure. (trades, foods, verbs of action etc).

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:52 am
@Jeremiah,
Jeremiah wrote:
They speak German in Austria. It's the same German they speak in Germany.

Clearly you've never been to Austria.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
The liberals and their crack-pot "political correctness" are primarily to blame for this attack upon democratic principles, and the attack must be repelled.

no more so than conservative political correctness.

personally, i dislike both quite a bit.

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:13 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

For YOUR educatioin, Jeremiah. The Pope is Catholic. Bush is not. The pope is NOT the leader of his church. It is NOT SOP for non-Catholics to bow to the pope, and it is certainly NOT SOP for non-Catholics to kneel before a priest.

and also this to ( Smile )one must wonder if it is sop for the president to do this;
  http://www.wonkette.com/politics/hands.jpg

holding hands with the leader of a country that sent 14 of it's citizens to the u.s. to fly planes into buildings.

i'll take obama over ol' numbnuts anyday.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:21 pm
@Jeremiah,
Jeremiah wrote:
They speak German in Austria. It's the same German they speak in Germany.

Not true. They do speak German in Austria, but it's quite distinct from the German spoken in Germany. Here's a link that describes the official Austrian dictionary:

Many terms in Austrian German are quite similar to the German Bavarian dialect; within Germany, Bavarian terms are usually not used when you're writing something. Instead, official German German terms found in the Duden will be used.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Well, sounds like Im not the one needing any lessons. Austrian German is a dialect and has many different language terms different than standard German. Just like Swiztcher Deitsch, Osterreich Deutsch is recognized as a separate language dialect. Just like PA Dutch speakers can have problems understanding Standard German speakers and vice versa. I can think of many specific nouns and verbs that have different dialect structure. (trades, foods, verbs of action etc).

right. a similar situation to mexican or s.w. american spanish and castillion spanish. parisian french versus quebecois versus creole. appalachian english versus west coast dude english. i'm fluent in both by the way. Laughing

actually, now that i think about it, there are colloquial differences even between southern u.s. english dialects and pronunciation.

someone says the word "far"

in new york, it means the opposite of "near"

the part of kentucky i grew up in, "far" was what you lit in the grill.

in the part of tennessee where our other house is, "far" is a festival. as in "the state far".
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:37 pm
I just don't know what to think any more.
old europe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:05 pm
Fun fact: the wikipedia page on Austrian German is available in standard German and in written Bavarian.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I do - the right wing is desperate for something to complain about and get some sort of traction with the general public. Truly desperate.

Cycloptichorn
chai2

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
oh yeah?

can you say that in american?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:18 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

oh yeah?

can you say that in american?

Translation: "Dem Goppers are pissed off at the ass-whuppin they rec'd, and looking to get back at the rest of us by being whiny little bitches until we get sick of them and toss them a bone or two to shut the **** up for a while."

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I do - the right wing is desperate for something to complain about and get some sort of traction with the general public. Truly desperate.

Cycloptichorn

no ****, amigo. nimh had a funny phrase for that sort of thing. i think it went like,; "looking for a stick to beat the dog with".

it really makes me chuckle. especially when one such as rove or hannity start going off about obama being "out of the mainstream".

what... ya mean like the mainstream that elected him ? Very Happy
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 02:23 pm
@old europe,
Whether the German spoken in Germany is identical or only similar to the German spoken in Austria is immaterial in the context of Obama's comment.

They don't speak Austrian in Austria.

It's a simple mistake and not indicative of anything important about Obama.

It's only bears comment because of the attention, or lack thereof, it received in the Media.

Anyone being honest knows that if the same thing had been said by President Bush it would have received a lot more attention, and all of it negative.