What does code 543 mean?

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:00 am
I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L automatic GL. I could not get my car to start the other day. After about ten tries it finally started and I went on my way to work. I noticed when I got to work that white smoke was coming from underneath my front hood like something was burning. I lifted the hood but could not tell exactly where it was coming from but know it was coming from the passengers side of the engine. I did a code test with a ford OBD 1 code reader. I got this code: 543, fuel pump secondary circuit fault. I am not having anymore trouble with it starting up for now. What do you think is wrong with my car? Is something going bad? I had the fuel tank and fuel pump replaced about six months ago.

High Seas

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 11:22 am
@russharv63,
You may be in luck:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl583g.htm
"DTC 543 Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. If you have this code and the engine runs, it is a false code. I would clear all the codes, drive the car for a while and recheck them to see what, if any, codes come back."
0 Replies