Adult Women Only--Do you read or are you a writer? Tell me if you think this is possible?

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 04:56 pm
Adult Women Only--Authors, writers, journalists!

I am reading a book from Dean Koontz. In the story, a woman in her 40's kidnaps a boy in his teens. She approaches him from behind and covers his mouth with her hand to keep him quiet from the neighbors.

I am a writer and I pay lots of attention to detail. I find this quite unrealistic since a) women have small hands and b) women are weaker than boys.

Do you think it is realistic that a woman's hand is big enough to cover a boys mouth with her hand to keep him quiet? How close to his nose might your hand come? Do you think the boy would be forced to smell her hand against his will if she kept him quiet? My nose and mouth are a quarter of an inch apart. Explain your answer. Is your hand small or adult sized.

So if you're a female book author or a writer of some sort and you can share your opinion on this matter, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for reading my question:)

Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 05:36 pm
My hands are not especially large, but they are definitely large enough to cover a mouth and nose.

The strength issue is another matter. How big and how old is the boy? I might be able to subdue a 13-year-old boy who wasn't too big. But I would not be able to subdue an 18-year-old boy--unless he was unusually small or weak.
shopwurld4u8

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 05:41 pm
@Roberta,
Hi Roberta,

Thanks so much for the reply. It would have been helpful if I supplied you with that information. The boy in the story was actually 13. Good guess, lol! He stands 5'1 and weighs 101 lbs. His nose and mouth are separated by 1 cm. So if you covered his mouth from behind, how close to his nose might your hand come? What exact part of your hand would be nearest his nose? And do you think he'd have to smell your hand based upon how your hand was positioned? Please explain your answers.

I appreciate you responding but I just find it unlikely that a woman could keep a boy quiet if he was struggling unless of course he gave up and let you. Additionally, I find that women have tiny hands. Is your hand small or adult sized?
Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 05:47 pm
@shopwurld4u8,
My hands are not especially large, but they would fit over a nose and mouth. I just tried it on me. My hand covered my nose and mouth. Using my right hand from behind, my forefinger and thumb would be over or very near the nose.

When I was younger, think I would have been able to subdue a boy the size you mention, but it would't have been easy.
shopwurld4u8

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 05:54 pm
@Roberta,
Hi Roberta,

Thanks for the response. Are you near the age of this woman in the novel? She is in her 40's.

Also you say your hand would cover both his nose and mouth. Would you end up smothering the boy? That would be a concern.

Do you think he'd be forced to smell your hand as you kept him quiet? Explain why in your opinion.

Lastly, the story references the boy could smell his own spit during the struggle. This part I couldn't get. Why would her hand smell like spit? And why would he end up smelling it as he moved his head all around if her palm only covered his mouth?

Thanks again for your responses. They are very helpful and intruiging.
Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:08 pm
@shopwurld4u8,
I mentioned in my response that I might have been able to subdue the boy when I was younger. I'm now in my sixties. I wouldn't be able to subdue anybody now.

If the palm of my hand was over his mouth, my fingers would be by his nose, so he'd be able to smell my hand. His spit would likely get on my hand, but I doubt he'd be able to smell it. That would require that the palm of my hand move, which would then enable him to yell. Not saying it's not possible. Just seems unlikely to me.
shopwurld4u8

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:13 pm
@Roberta,
Would it be the edge of your palm nearest his nose or the edge of your index finger? Describe that part to me. Is any part of your hand against his nose?

You say that he would have to smell your hand. Explain why he'd have no choice but to smell your hand.

Also, why would your hand begin to smell like his spit if he screamed for help during the struggle? Remember, he is moving his head all around. So why is it "more likely" that he may end up smelling his own spit intermittently and briefly during the struggle by not keeping his head still? What kind of contact might his nose make with your palm that such an occurrence would happen?

You're a pretty sharp lady. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:17 pm
@shopwurld4u8,
My hand is quite small, and I could easily cover a mouth and nose...in fact, I just covered my mouth and was able to hold my nose easily as well.

Re the strength thing....it's hard to say.

Both would have adrenaline running...but some kids freeze easily..and being surprised in such an attack as you describe is a factor that might lead to really wild struggles, or might leave a kid so shocked and confused that they were relatively helpless.

If the kid had experienced previois trauma, they are more likely to freeze and dissociate.

shopwurld4u8

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:20 pm
@dlowan,
Ok, so if you were to cover his mouth from behind, how close to his nose might your hand come? What part of your hand would come closest to his nose and do you think he would be forced to smell it as you attempted to keep him quiet? Explain why in detail to support your argument.

The boy is 13, stands 5'1 and weighs 101 lbs. He tries to grab the womans hand but her hand doesn't budge except for when he moves his head all around. He even tries to spit in her hand but she isn't grossed out. That surprises me too.
dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:25 pm
@shopwurld4u8,
There's no way I have time or interest sufficient to argue such a thing in detail!!!

My right thumb would be against the right side of his nose.

He likely COULD smell my hand.

If you are able to attack someone, I doubt a bit of spit would be a major problem, but that would likely vary from person to person.
shopwurld4u8

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:29 pm
@dlowan,
Ok, so you don't think he'd have to smell your hand? Besides your thumb, what other parts of your hand would be nearest his nose? Do you think it's possible during the struggle that he'd end up smelling his own spit? Explain why if he moves his head all around. Your answers are quite clever.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:03 pm
I fit your profile, I'm not tall or terribly strong but I could easily overtake a 13 year old boy, or for that matter a larger, stronger adult. A few simple moves can debilitate and make a person extremely compliant. Jujitsu is a Korean martial art, it is the basis of most personal defense programs and is the heart of most hand to hand combat courses taught to the police and security agencies.
As for covering the mouth, once a person has been subdued... a hand over the mouth would not need to be necessarily placed too tightly, to convey a message or threat to remain silent. So, place your own hand over your nose and mouth, more of a pillow like covering and you will soon smell your own breath.
roger

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:22 pm
@shopwurld4u8,
FOW, right?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 01:47 am
13 year boys and 40 year old women come in all sizes.
If you kidnap a person from behind, you cover his mouth with your hand and with your thumb your press his either left or right side of his nose - depending on if your are left or righthanded. Then you press the other side of the nose so he will hardly be able to breathe, press your hand hard on top of his mouth and he will panic. The free arm you will put around his throut and you have him.
Then put one leg around his legs and he can hardly move or fight being weakened by panic and not being able to breathe very well.
Depending on how much a person notice smells he will/will not smell or notice how her hands smell.

I am a normal size woman with a big husband and I can still put my hand and cover his mouth and nose.
shopwurld4u8

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:11 am
@saab,
Thanks Saab for your reply. So if you were to cover this boys mouth from behind, which direction would your fingers point? How close to his nose might your hand come accidentally? His nose and mouth are a mere 1 cm apart.

Also, you say he may not notice the smell but if your hand smells like soap, he will. Why do you presume that he'd have no choice but to smell your hand? What part of your hand would be nearest his nostrils?

Is there a chance your hand may end up smelling like spit if he tries to scream for help against your hand? And why is he more likely to smell it if he were to move his head all around? What kind of contact might his nose make with your palm at times?

As you can see, I write alot and pay lots of attention to detail. Let's see what kind of info you can add. Thanks so much for responding:)
shopwurld4u8

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:14 am
@Ceili,
Hi Ceili. Thanks so much for your response but you didn't address the realisticness of a womans hand being big enough to cover this boys mouth. Is your hand small or adult sized?
If you covered his mouth from behind, how close to his nostrils might your hand come? His nose and mouth are separated by 1 cm. Do you think he'd be forced to smell your hand? Explain why.
Also, do you think your hand may begin to smell like spit if he tries to scream for help? And why is he more likely to smell spit from your palm if he moves his head all around? What kind of contact might his nose make with your palm in order for such an occurrence to take place?
I appreciate your response. I look forward to your answers:) This seems to be a pretty hot topic.
sozobe

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:20 am
@shopwurld4u8,
I usually don't care much one way or another, and just reply as if the inquiry is legitimate, but for some reason am moved to say that this smacks of someone getting his jollies. Why all this repetitive and extensive questioning about the smelling and stuff like that?
dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:26 am
@sozobe,
Yeah.

The smelling is weird.
0 Replies

shopwurld4u8

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:27 am
@sozobe,
You can't be serious. I'm a writer and an analyst. I'm not corrupt.
dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:30 am
@shopwurld4u8,
We feel it in our waters.
0 Replies