Using more description!

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 08:43 pm
I'm a beginning writer and I personally think I'm good, but I need more detail! In almost any of my stories you either get to imagine your own character details or you get sporadic moments of huge detail, there isn't an in between. In other words, I need help spacing out my detail to make it interesting and gives the reader a good image of what's going on or what someone looks like at all times, rather than hardly ever or in sporadic jumps.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,757 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 07:20 am
@neuroticWisher,
Data dumping is a real problem with writers, and not just beginners. You've got all of this research, and you don't want it to go to waste ....

You need to parse it out slowly, and also think of interesting ways to do so. Let's say you need to indicate that one character is taller than another. How about having the tall character duck when walking inside, in order to avoid hitting his or her head on the door frame, whereas the shorter character doesn't have to do that? Or the tall one calls the short one 'short stuff' on one occasion. In either way, the information comes out without a ton of dull exposition.
0 Replies