3rd interview

Pooter

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 11:22 am
Applied for a Warehouse position, grunt work, close to home. Interviewer saw that I was capable of much more, asked about my aspirations for management, and asked me to come back to see Operations Mgr.
Great. Did that -- this fellow asked for specifics on how I handle customer relations, co-workers, my organizational skills etc. Talked about the team he must rebuild in his warehouse, with goals of major changes within 3-4 months. They are restructuring with an eye to either maintaining their supply warehouse, or contracting out to third party. Now, I am asked to attend a 3rd interview with the HR person. What the heck??
This is all backwards in the chain of interviews, so why am I only now going to HR? No-one has offered me the position, wages haven't been clearly discussed yet, but References have been asked for.
Please comment..?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,660 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 12:18 pm
@Pooter,

in this economic climate, be glad they're interested in you...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 12:37 pm
@Pooter,
Pooter wrote:

Applied for a Warehouse position, grunt work, close to home. Interviewer saw that I was capable of much more, asked about my aspirations for management, and asked me to come back to see Operations Mgr.
Great. Did that -- this fellow asked for specifics on how I handle customer relations, co-workers, my organizational skills etc. Talked about the team he must rebuild in his warehouse, with goals of major changes within 3-4 months. They are restructuring with an eye to either maintaining their supply warehouse, or contracting out to third party. Now, I am asked to attend a 3rd interview with the HR person. What the heck??
This is all backwards in the chain of interviews, so why am I only now going to HR? No-one has offered me the position, wages haven't been clearly discussed yet, but References have been asked for.
Please comment..?

It's possible that the first interviewer and/or the operations manager are both on the fence about you. They may want someone who can draw you out more, ask more probing questions.

Or....they might like you very much, but don't have a slot for you, and are trying to figure out how to create a position for you. It could be that if they were hiring for a grunt, an interview with anyone would be enough. If they realized they may have someone with more talent, they'd have to circle around.

I have a question for you. If it turned out they thought you were management material, but didn't have a position authorized at that moment, would you be willing to do grunt work with them while waiting?

I would.

0 Replies