Congratulations Iowa! (only 47 states to go).

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:54 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad - I've decided to out nerd your sig with this:

While (t <= INF);{Nerds == pow(16.0,-0.5); cout << "Nerds " << Nerds << "ever" << endl;};

T
K
O
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:55 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
When you can't win the argument, create a meta-discussion about the argument itself, and deflect.

Democracy is more important than this one particular battle, when democracy is twisted in order to win a prize for a small minority of the population speaking out about it is the right thing to do.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 07:57 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
They are insulated from the big picture yet making conclusions about it

Impossible, individuals who don't agree with the Gay rights agenda are not insulated from the human race, they look out upon the collective and make their own evaluation of what is best for the collective. Unless Thomas wants to argue that all who don't agree with the pro gays rights side are hermits his reasoning is nonsense, life as a human among the human collective and intellectual theory at the academy are not at all the same thing.

Insulated from evidence contrary to their claims. Claims such as gay being bad for children will be insulated from data about what will happens to children raised by gays already. The same applies for the claims of religious oppression by the granting of marriage rights to gays.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:06 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Insulated from evidence contrary to their claims. Claims such as gay being bad for children will be insulated from data about what will happens to children raised by gays already. The same applies for the claims of religious oppression by the granting of marriage rights to gays.

If we had the evidence by way of scientific evaluation such that it was clear that the gay rights lobby claims are true then I would agree with you. Those who oppose gays rights at that point could fairly by said the be insular and not willing to consider facts and evidence. However, as I said a few months ago in my opinion this question has not been answered yet by evaluation. You can disagree with me on that, but in that case we should be arguing the quality of evidence so far accumulated instead of calling each other derogatory names.

what we have so far is some poorly conducted studies, and a lot of gum flapping about rights and why gays can't be denied what they want no matter what evaluation of the effects of gay behaviour on the collective shows.
dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Except when it comes to supporting rape and child abuse when a small percentage (and those who have ceased to be homophobes are NOT a small percentage of the population) are endowed with godlike knowledge, and and are sadly misunderstood prophets in their own land?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:19 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

If we had the evidence by way of scientific evaluation such that it was clear that the gay rights lobby claims are true then I would agree with you. Those who oppose gays rights at that point could fairly by said the be insular and not willing to consider facts and evidence. However, as I said a few months ago in my opinion this question has not been answered yet by evaluation. You can disagree with me on that, but in that case we should be arguing the quality of evidence so far accumulated instead of calling each other derogatory names.

what we have so far is some poorly conducted studies, and a lot of gum flapping about rights and why gays can't be denied what they want no matter what evaluation of the effects of gay behaviour on the collective shows.

That's crap hawkeye10. You reject any such evidence that doesn't support your ideas. This is the problem with making your conclusion before using method. You are in no way prepared to see the reality of the situation.

There is no evidence to support that gays pose any threat to "the collective" (which by definition would include LGBT people) or for that matter any subset minority. Want to know why? There is no threat. The "gumflapping" is those who like you posture as if we don't know, and despite the evidence provided, we "cannot possibly" know what the threat is. There is no effort on your behalf to prove your view, only to promote the idea that we "don't know."

Guess what? We do know.

APA - Gay's not sociopaths.
AAP - Children raised by gay's just as well adjusted as other children.
LAW - The Institution of marriage is just as intact/broken in MA now as it was prior to the inclusion of the LGBT community in that status. Net change: Nada.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:29 am
@Diest TKO,
there is no good evidence either way, science in inconclusive right now. We could change that in a decade or less if we wanted to.

Your argument is crap, because you yourself have strenuously argued that the evidence does not matter, that gays must get what they want on equal rights grounds, that the majority has no right to make any decision because equal rights supersedes any other claims.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 08:41 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

there is no good evidence either way, science in inconclusive right now. We could change that in a decade or less if we wanted to.

This is like debating if Y2K is going to end the world... now. The room for speculation is only present if you refuse reality.
hawkeye10 wrote:

Your argument is crap, because you yourself have strenuously argued that the evidence does not matter, that gays must get what they want on equal rights grounds, that the majority has no right to make any decision because equal rights supersedes any other claims.

I have never argued that evidence doesn't matter. This is a strawman. You will post where I have said this in your next post, otherwise I accept the apology for your error. The argument against majoritarian oppression is only one of many arguments in support for LGBT rights. It does not conflict with any other argument I present nor any other argument I've read here on A2K in support of gay rights.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:22 am
@Diest TKO,
ya you have, but I am not going to sift through 75+ pages to find it.

So if what you say about your position is true then scientific based evidence that homosexual behaviour damages society would to you be a compelling state interest that would if serious enough trump the equal rights claims of the homosexual rights political groups. Are you willing to so stipulate?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:25 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

This is akin to admitting that you are wrong. If you are going to make claims, you ought to back them up when requested to do so.

Quote:
So if what you say about your position is true then scientific based evidence that homosexual behaviour damages society would to you be a compelling state interest that would if serious enough trump the equal rights claims of the homosexual rights political groups. Are you willing to so stipulate?

Extensive and specific science showing a harm to 'society' is the only way that people's rights can be limited, when it is perfectly clear that nobody is being put in any sort of immediate danger by a behavior. The default position is for people to have rights, not for them not to have them; it is the bigot's duty to prove that people should not have rights.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:35 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Extensive and specific science showing a harm to 'society' is the only way that people's rights can be limited, when it is perfectly clear that nobody is being put in any sort of immediate danger by a behavior. The default position is for people to have rights, not for them not to have them; it is the bigot's duty to prove that people should not have rights.

that is trumped by precedence. The entire history of the USA is one where it was accepted fact that homosexuals should not have all of the rights and privileges of those who are not. In this case the onus is upon those who desire the change, and if they can't show good cause then the correct action is to make no change.

Right now the claim is that we can **** all over the beliefs and claims of all of those who came before us, without even taking the time or trouble to prove that they were wrong. This is unacceptable.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:37 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Apology accepted.

T
K
O
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:39 am
@Diest TKO,
I could just as well demand that you document other than what I claim, but thankfully I am not as big of an ass as you are.

I notice that you don't answer the question, which I take as your admission that I am correct. You refuse to go down any logical avenues that don't guaranty to go where you want to go. You refuse to debate with an open mind, as usual.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:40 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

that is trumped by precedence. The entire history of the USA is one where it was accepted fact that homosexuals should not have all of the rights and privileges of those who are not. In this case the onus is upon those who desire the change, and if they can't show good cause then the correct action is to make no change.

Right now the claim is that we can **** all over the beliefs and claims of all of those who came before us, without even taking the time or trouble to prove that they were wrong. This is unacceptable.

If the justification for the subtraction of rights to LGBT people is not supported by any evidence then the onus falls on those who wish for it to stay the same.

No amount of precedent is strong enough to continue to state the world is flat when the claims to say it is are gone.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:42 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I could just as well demand that you document other than what I claim, but thankfully I am not as big of an ass as you are.

No, you just aren't intelligent enough to ante up at the table.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:44 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

No, it is not. A history of religious-fueled bigotry means nothing before the law. Your personal opinion of gays, or that of your ancestors, is meaningless unless you can show actual proof that they do in fact harm society.

That same 'precedence' gave women no rights, blacks no rights, inter-racial marriages no rights, etc..

Quote:

Nobody cares whether you find it 'acceptable' or not. The problem is that you think that because things were done a certain way in the past, this provides justification for doing them this way in the future. It does not. Actions and laws have to be justifiable based on solid legal and ethical principles at any point, regardless of what happened in the past.

You cannot build a case based on legal and ethical principles that gays deserve to be discriminated against. You certainly have not done so here; instead, you have deferred to the past, in an attempt to avoid doing so. This is not logically sound. This is also why courts left and right are finding gay marriage to be legal; see, they know the law, and you do not.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
No, it is not. A history of religious-fueled bigotry means nothing before the law

Wow, so your claim is the up till now US Constitutional Law was directed by religous bigotry, but we magically are reasonable rational creatures??

Again, the complete lack of respect for your ancestors, the ones who where smart enough to build America into a super power and that was till recently the most free society on earth.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 09:51 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
No, it is not. A history of religious-fueled bigotry means nothing before the law

Wow, so your claim is the up till now US Constitutional Law was directed by religous bigotry, but we magically are reasonable rational creatures??

Again, the complete lack of respect for your ancestors, the ones who where smart enough to build America into a super power and that was till recently the most free society on earth.

You are picking and choosing individual lines to argue from my posts, b/c you have no good response to the majority of it, which is really destructive to your poorly-thought out case. But I'll humor you:

US Constitutional law has nothing to do with the rights of minorities; other than supporting their claim to equal rights, that is.

Respect for your ancestors means nothing in the eyes of the law. It is a convenient dodge you are using to try and hide the fact that you, bigot, have no actual case against Gay folks and their desire to marry.

The freshmen-level argumentation you are putting forth would be funny if it weren't so ******* sad.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 10:03 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Nobody cares whether you find it 'acceptable' or not. The problem is that you think that because things were done a certain way in the past, this provides justification for doing them this way in the future. It does not. Actions and laws have to be justifiable based on solid legal and ethical principles at any point, regardless of what happened in the past.

The Supreme court has always said that you are wrong, precedence does matter. There is no way to for you to argue otherwise, so I did not take your claims seriously. I did not ignore you because you are right and I am wrong, are did so because you are so obviously wrong that I felt that showing why you are wrong was a waste of space.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 10:55 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
that is trumped by precedence. The entire history of the USA is one where it was accepted [blah, blah, blah]....

An appeal to tradition is not a compelling argument.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-tradition.html