live suicide part of rock show

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:09 pm
A live suicide was planned during a performance of Hell on Earth in St Petersburg, FL for this weekend. The venue canceled the show, others turned down requests to host the show. The band says the suicide will still go on in a undisclosed venue for a select few.

This article made my blood run cold. How is this entertainment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,453 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:33 pm
You got a link?

Must be a bunch of winners who are going to attend that show.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:35 pm
I found a link. Wasn't quite what I expected:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-12806120,00.html

Quote:
Hard-rock band Hell on Earth said a suicide by a terminally ill person would take place during a concert on Saturday in St Petersburg, Florida, to raise awareness of right-to-die issues.

Tourtelot said the band was aiming to raise awareness that physician-assisted suicide should be legalised in Florida.

(Emphasis mine.)

Still creepy, and the whole "raising awareness" thing may well be after-the-fact bluster, but that's a little different from the image I had before I found the link. Hmmm.

Awareness-raising of this issue is good, but I can't imagine how this would actually be helpful in any way. And given the band's track record (grinding up live rats... that raises awareness of what?) I really suspect they were more like, "Dude, wouldn't it be totally bitchin' if someone, like, DIED on stage?" and then figured out how to go about it. Confused
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:47 pm
Oh, sure, but if Wayne Newton did it on pay-per-view, I bet you'd all be on board...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:51 pm
More here:

'The show will go on,' says rock band that plans a suicide on stage

Some 60 papers have more or less the same article online, either the AP report or related to a BBC article with same content and nearly identical quotations.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:18 pm
Now, if only it was Michael Jackson, and it was himself doing it...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:22 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Now, if only it was Michael Jackson, and it was himself doing it...

I'm with L'k but Slappy - that's funny
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:26 pm
Soz, thanks for posting the link. I was at work on a friggin apple - couldn't remember how to use the cut and paste function.

I saw that it was a terminal person and a protest. Doesn't make much of a difference to me.

Joking about it is one thing. Protesting to support right-to-die legislation is good, imo. But this still turns my stomach.

I guess my gut's telling me it's a publicity stunt for the band. That it'll be entertaining to those who watch.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:57 pm
Nasty. The right-to-die supporters have never included a right to die in front of an audience of disinterested, paying souls... though there's a question how much soul anyone could have if they voluntarily chose to attend this "entertainment."

In my opinion it's a rather thick edge of the wedge in regards to the world-going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:26 pm
I suspect this press release is a publicity stunt, and a very sick one. If they did attempt such a thing there would be legal consequences for all involved.
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:48 pm
Does nobody have any tact?
May as well pack up a picnic basket... they'll probably start hanging people for entertainment again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:25 pm
Hi Rella - welcome to the forum.

I can't believe there wasn't more of an uproar about it. Publicity stunt or not.
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:33 pm
Thanks littlek. Wow, everyone's pretty friendly here.
I live on Cape Cod, btw.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:52 pm
Except for me.

I bite.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 01:58 pm
this is old news....come and gone....didn't happen.......would have been cool though.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:02 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Except for me.

I bite.

And I've got the ass-welt to prove it. Wink

I've seen several performers commit career suicide on stage.
0 Replies

Rella

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:32 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Except for me.

I bite.

Ah, another one from Boston.

Not too hard though, kay?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 02:37 pm
but only when he's REALLY overworked.......
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:01 pm
What's wrong with Bahston?

Not too hard...promise.

Really.

Let's start a new topic: who would you MOST want to see commit suicide on stage:

Britney Spears
MJ
Justin Timberlake
Ricky Martin
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 03:03 pm
Slappy- Don't ask............................... Laughing
0 Replies