What retailer would hire me?

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 06:29 am
Just to refresh some memories. A coworker at Wal-Mart pissed me off, so I started a huge fight with her after holding it in a few hours. mgt gave me an informal warning. A few days later, I found out from other coworkers that she didn't apologize or forgive me, so I punched the fitting room pole and banged my head into it in front of customers. One of them had a child with her and reported me. Next thing I know, I got canned with workplace violence and gross misconduct on my record.

I just wanna know what retailer would hire me if not Wal-Mart. In what place would the consequence be less severe for the same wrongdoing? Better yet, in what retailer would there be no consequences at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,765 • Replies: 20
No top replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:00 am
@dirrtydozen22,
Which retailer would allow you to start huge fights with your co-workers?

Stop and think about that question for a bit dirty and I think you will find the answer yourself.

Then ask yourself which employer anywhere would allow you to start huge fights with your co-workers. (Maybe you could become a professional wrestler. They might not mind as long as you only fight in front of the customers.)
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:55 am
You are truly in a tough place dd12.

No large retailer would hire you based on your history of workplace violence. That's just the way it is.

I know you're working (or at least I hope) on your anger issues. However, that's not going to make up for past events.

I'm not sure of the number of years exactly, but anyone doing a background check on you for employement will look back something like 5 or 7 years at least, or at least your last couple of jobs.

I would think about finding a small local business, one where there won't be much of a chance of really ugly things happening, where I could practice my anger management skills.

Years back, I had a job as a cashier at a local carwash. It would be really busy most of the time, and the hours at work just flew by. Sometimes customers would be upset about something, but when they were you needed to refer them to the manager.

I certainly wouldn't want to wish on a local business owner someone who might erupt at any time, but perhaps you are cut out for something smaller.

One important thing you need to remember is that a potential employer, whether large or small, is looking out for their own best interests. I think that's natural, don't you?
Just for a moment, put the shoe on the other foot, and imagine yourself being in the position of needing to hire someone. You have many other responsibilities, have customers to keep happy, conflicts to handle, budgets to stay within, inventory to keep track of, and a million other things. You're busy enough that you really need to hire another person, or need to replace someone who left.
You look at all the applications and talk to some people. It would be natural to show a preference for those who didn't have your history. They may feel sorry for you, but not enough to hire you. Or they may feel sorry for you, thinking everyone needs another chance, but will be disallusioned the first time a problem occurs, get rid of you, thus compounding your problem.

So, don't be angry when you get turned down, no one is out to get you, they just don't want to hire people who punch poles.

In order to prove you are past that, you literaly will need to start at the bottom, and slowly work your way up until you are trusted again. You'll have to work hard to gain that trust.

Once you find a job, you'll need to stick with it at LEAST 2 or 3 years (with your background, 3 would be better)

Tell me a little about yourself dd12. What kind of things do you like to do? What fulfills you?

For instance, I love to examine numbers, and make sure they come out right, and see where they are going.

In my job, part of it is creating spreadsheets as tools for other people, so they can make sure they are on track. For me, it's mentally fun, like a puzzle.

What type of game, puzzle, activity do you enjoy doing, that makes you say, "that was fun"?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:50 am
Try 7/11, they always need people for the graveyard shift, and due to
frequent hold ups around these hours, they welcome feisty employees.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 10:10 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Try 7/11, they always need people for the graveyard shift, and due to
frequent hold ups around these hours, they welcome feisty employees.

Shocked

oh man, you're trying to get her shot!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:04 am
@parados,
I was going to say try WWE. Or how about hockey - they actually encourage fighting. Try going to a combat zone - you might be able to mud wrestle in a bikini or less.

How about some phone work - at least you don't have a customer physically in front of you. Or some other job that doesn't involve other people.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:18 am
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:
I just wanna know what retailer would hire me

why in the world would you want to work in a retail environment? it seems you'd be best off someplace with less exposure to other people

Quote:
in what retailer would there be no consequences at all?
there aren't many employers in any category who would accept violent people in their workplace
dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:29 am
@ehBeth,
Why in the world would I wanna work in retail? Because I like it. I love the interaction with other people, customers and coworkers alike. I just made a mistake at the last place I've been to. That doesn't mean I don't deserve another chance to try my hand at something I love.

I punched the pole and banged my head into it cuz my coworker didn't apologize or forgive me. In addition, I was ostracized by some ppl in softlines for yelling at my coworker. That doesn't mean I'll do it again. Perhaps in another large retailer, no one would piss me off the way my coworker did, even after years of working there (hopefully).
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:41 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

why in the world would you want to work in a retail environment?

I wondered that too, but figured maybe that's all she knows.

It would seem if you are young and don't have skills, the first thing you think of is working in a store.

I agree that dd12 could do with less exposure to people. That's why I was asking her what she liked to do.

Maybe she'd get an idea from that. #1 if you're doing something you like, the less likely you'll be to punch poles, #2 maybe something you like to do doesn't need to be done with a lot of people around.

When I lived in Wisconsin I worked at a plastic mold injection factory. I was on the line that made the compacts for Revlon or something like that's makeup.

People who do that for a living are far from stupid, and they work hard. I met some really interesting people. Mostly though you have to concentrate on your work, and it takes dexterity and the ability to work within a rigid system.

I got some really deep thinking and soul searching done while monitoring the machine that shot hinge pins into the compact, or check each one to see the mirror was centered properly. It's no joke if those hinge pins get out of alignment coming out of the pin gun. If you don't watch it all production will come to a halt.

I actually never got bored, physically tired yes, not bored. After I'd solved all the worlds problems in my head, I'd wonder where all these compacts were going to, and who was going to buy them. To this day, whenever I buy almost anything that comes in a bottle or case or something, I momentarily reflect that a bunch of people had their hands on that container, checking, flipping, stacking, attaching, etc.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:43 am
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

Why in the world would I wanna work in retail? Because I like it. I love the interaction with other people, customers and coworkers alike. I just made a mistake at the last place I've been to. That doesn't mean I don't deserve another chance to try my hand at something I love.

I punched the pole and banged my head into it cuz my coworker didn't apologize or forgive me. In addition, I was ostracized by some ppl in softlines for yelling at my coworker. That doesn't mean I'll do it again. Perhaps in another large retailer, no one would piss me off the way my coworker did, even after years of working there (hopefully).

Did you read what I wrote originally?

No one is going to hire you on a "perhaps"

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 12:18 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Do you realize that customers can be rude mean cruel and rarely apologize or forgive the retail workers? If you cannot stand that with a co-worker, what would happen when one day a customer does this?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 12:48 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dirrtydozen22 wrote:

If this is how you behave at a job you "love," I'd hate to think how you'd act at a job you didn't like!

I hate to tell you this, but "making a mistake" like this USUALLY means the person doesn't get another chance. That's the way the world works. (Don't hit me!) Yelling and violent behavior simply are not tolerated in the real world. It doesn't matter how bad someone pisses you off, you're never entitled to lose it.

Read that last sentence again.

The reality is, people WILL continue to piss you off. It happens to all of us. Repeatedly. There is no end to it in this life. You need to get ahold of yourself, take some anger management classes, whatever it takes...so that you can learn to deal with bad treatment in a more acceptable manner. Until then, I concur with others here. It would be best if you limited your exposure to other people so that you don't dig this hole you're in even deeper.

You may enjoy working around people, but you clearly cannot handle it. Not at this point in your life, anyway.

I'm sorry you've gotten yourself into this situation. I hope you will accept full responsibility for your actions (and reactions) and get the help you need. Until then, I seriously hope you can find a job with minimal potential conflict.
Eva

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 01:23 pm
A wise old saying just popped into my head.

The only person you can count on to tell you the plain truth about yourself is your worst enemy or a total stranger.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 03:14 pm
@Eva,
I suppose that means working in the back unloading trucks lol. Some coworkers once said that if conflicts arises between staff members, it's better to lose it in the back room where there's no customers than on the sales floor where there is. She also said to use that only as a last resort, even in the back room. I wish I had listened to her and not lost it on the sales floor. Actually, I wish I never lost it period.

I hope Mickey Dees will take me :-).
hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 03:42 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dd :

if you like "interaction" but have at times a bit of a problem with co-workers , why not try running your own business ?
in our city there are many hotdog , icecream , fries , fruit & veg , flower ... .... vendors .
they have plenty of interaction with their customers but don't need co-workers .
your advantage would be that you'd have to smile and give your customers speedy , friendly and good service at all times .
if you don't , you sales will plummet and you won't make any money ... i'm sure you'd learn VERY QUICKLY to be on your best behaviour at all times - blaming the customers won't help you - no sales = no money = no food !
seriously , that would give you a job that would challenge you to do your very best .

btw the street vendors in our city seem to do very well - there is often a line-up of people wanting to buy - no lack of customers - seems recession proof .
goood luck !
hbg

dirrtydozen22

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:26 pm
@hamburger,
Do you need a business license for that? bc that's something I would love to try.
hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 05:01 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
dd :

do you have a city hall/administration office ?
go - knock on the door - find out .
good luck !
hbg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 06:21 pm
@hamburger,
I dunno. I've lead an exemplary calm life except for the time I threw my beer at a guy (alas I wasn't bombed, that's worse or maybe not, it's been thirty years - and we could be both happy to catch up now, it was a beer throw lite, in the circumstance and we were fine subsequently) at a get together, and the time I punched the arm of a guy dissing a person and the whole party broke up after he hit me - alternate to that is a memory of my walking down the main UCLA med center hall with a guy who punched me in conversation, a guy who used to drop me off at home on his way to his gf in the Palisades in his Jag - which I didn't mind, I wasn't all gaga. Looking back, in a kind of emphasis, he was a rogue, charming, but I didn't want to be hit at all, and I gave him the speech.

But as we know from the foregoing, I've had the once every ten year inclination to beer throw, or did, back then.

So, I can get dirrtydozen22, somewhat.

I can't remember your age, dirr. but I think you can be young enough to just go in and volunteer (potential connection or not), go through some local program with seeming lowly positions that could build.

I think you can erase this with engagement, if you do engage, and get off of this victim doomed role. I do wish you well, don't mean to be sarcastic.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 06:31 pm
@ossobuco,
On business licences, check of course with city hall. Start looking around at how other people run businesses. The license is usually the least of it
dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:44 am
@ossobuco,
lol city hall's a hassal. besides, after all is said and done, I still want to work for large corporations no matter what industry, but preferably retail/customer service.