translate english names into hebrew

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 03:59 am
I am a class 3 steiner teacher and our theme all year is the old testament, hebrew
verses, songs, dances and would love the children to write their names in hebrew. If you can help please let me know and I will e-mail their names. Thank you Mara
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,610 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:21 am
@maralupi,
We don't have the capability to get emails here but I can give you this:
http://www.hebrewbabynames.com/
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 09:23 am
In my opinion, there is no translation for many English names into Hebrew names. That would be because many English names had an origin that does not include Hebrew as the original source. There might be a few? Why not contact a Protestant minister? If Jewish babies are given a Hebrew name at birth (religious thing), it is not necessarily a direct translation of the English name that might be used on the birth certificate.

But, Hebrew names are sort of popular now amongst some. So, Jacob is more common, and becomes Jake to one's friends. But the Hebrew pronunciation, I believe, is Yacov. Or, Abraham is pronounced Avraham. Maybe not. I am only a secular Jew. I lost interest in the religion decades ago.
boc69

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:38 am
@Foofie,
Hey can anyone give me the hebrew spelling for "Benjamin". I have not been able to find it anywhere.
igm30001

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 02:08 am
@boc69,
בנימין
with vowels בִּנְיָמִין
pronounced "Binyamin"
Bet Nun Yod Mem Yod Nun-Sofit
0 Replies