ACK! They're kidding right? (Survival v. Glamour)

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:50 pm
So Mo and I went to the school book fair today to stock up on all the crazy stuff they have to offer.

One book that grabbed his attention was "The Boys Book of Survival".

Sounds good.

Here's what Amazon has to say:

Quote:
Lost in the desert? Stuck in quicksand? Confronted by a man-eating tiger? Trapped at a school dance? Fear not, brave reader! With this essential survival guide, you'll find a way to get yourself out of every imaginable predicament, whether it's an avalanche or a zombie invasion!

How to survive anything all in one handy book! Inside you'll find out how to treat a snakebite, send an SOS message, track an animal, make a map, and build a ladder. Find out how to survive a school dance, a shopping trip with your mom, a pop quiz, and a shark attack!

The book's companion written for girls?

"The Girls Book of Glamour"

Here's what Amazon has to say:

Quote:
Transform yourself from drab to fab with this nifty guide to all things glamorous! Whether you want to have the shiniest hair or convince people you're a celebrity, this book will show you how! Being a glamour goddess has never been so easy.

Inside this handy guide you'll find instructions on how to host a spa party, create your own style, exit a limo gracefully, make your own body glitter, persuade your best friend to lend you her clothes, put on a fashion show, make your own jewelry box, and much, much more!

I think I'll write a book called "The Girls book of Surviving the Girls book of Glamour".

Will you buy my book?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 1,825 • Replies: 14

mismi

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@boomerang,
I'd much rather read The Boys Book of Survival.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:09 pm
<Waits for EBrown P to come and demand Boys Guide to Glamour.>
boomerang

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:02 pm
Hmmm.... maybe I need to write "The Boys book of Surviving Glamorous Girls"!

I'm tempted to read both, actually. The "Boys book" has some pretty good advice about what to do in a tornado, avalanche, underwater cars, etc. Maybe it's not too late for me to get some good Glamour advice for shiny hair and pretty feet.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:14 pm
@boomerang,
I'll buy it, I promise.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 04:46 am
@DrewDad,
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .

Ziiiiiinnnnnggggggg . . . .

okbye
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 06:39 am
@boomerang,
I'd buy it! (Yours.)

Ree-diculous, yes. ("persuade your best friend to lend you her clothes"? What?)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 06:48 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Hmmm.... maybe I need to write "The Boys book of Surviving Glamorous Girls"!

this would be a huge hit
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:26 am
@boomerang,
Yes - most definately! I actually thought the first book would be good for girls! And then to find out it was geared for boys with that crappy book for girls.

My daughter would love the first book - she says she is 100% tom boy and 50% girly girly. I didn't explain that it should add to 100% - but you get the idea.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:46 am
I think it's telling that the only Amazon review of the "Boy" book was written by a girl and she really liked it.

The girl book didn't have any reviews.

The boy book actually has good advice about staying alive in dangerous situations and about surviving adolesence.

I'm curious about what kind of mother would prefer her daughter be glamorous than alive, I mean, you know, if they saw these books side by side like I did and chose the glamour book instead. To me it sent a message that a girl will survive if she is pretty enough to attract a competent man.
Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 10:48 am
@boomerang,
"I'm curious about what kind of mother would prefer her daughter be glamorous than alive,.."

Just watch that reality show about the little girls in beauty pageants and you will get your answer to this question.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:22 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Quote:
Inside this handy guide you'll find instructions on how to host a spa party, create your own style, exit a limo gracefully ...

Yeah, if I have to teach my daughter how to get out of a car without showing her snatch to the camera crew, I've failed.
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 01:54 pm
You really crack me up at times, Miss Duck . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@FreeDuck,
<snork!>

Too funny.

0 Replies

preetham

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:21 am
@mismi,
oops !
thank u for it !!