Too short time allowed for editing

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 12:10 am
Hello Moderators

Some time ago, I brought up the topic on too little time allowed for editing. Evidently, no one did anything about it because I was away from the computer for about five minutes and, when I returned, my post could not be edited.

Could someone please look into my request?

I hope that something is done.

Thank you very much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,116 • Replies: 31
Topic Closed

hawkeye10

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 12:26 am
agreed.
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:31 pm
This is not a good way to contact the Moderators. Use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of every page. I saw this by chance.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:34 pm
@tanguatlay,
Here's the easy way to get more time to edit: hit 'preview' instead of 'reply,' then think about things for a while, then post.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
ossobuco

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 05:40 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Editing apparently takes up a great deal of 'space' (I don't know the correct words) re the running of the site, and is very taxing on the speed/efficiency of the site as a whole.

Cyclo is right - preview your replies before you send them.
0 Replies

Chumly

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 06:33 pm
There is no good reason to have a time limit on editing, in fact my favorite forums have zero-nada-zip time limits!

It's simply lame-ass-interventionist-big-brother-ish to have time limits. Just another example of how the new A2K forum is inferior. That somehow having no maximum edit times wastes precious resources is pure crap, given how cheap computer tech is.
ossobuco

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 06:45 pm
@Chumly,
Fly a kite, kiddo.

I don't know if that explanation - re forum speed - remains true, but it also works re the human phenomenon of fixing arguments and the arguers flailing at newly fixed stuff.

Also, if you don't like it, why don't you address Contact Us?

Preview still seems great to me.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:30 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

There is no good reason to have a time limit on editing, in fact my favorite forums have zero-nada-zip time limits!

Untrue. Having a time limit on editing keeps people from editing embarrassing, stupid things they have said out of the record. That's a good reason.

Quote:
It's simply lame-ass-interventionist-big-brother-ish to have time limits. Just another example of how the new A2K forum is inferior. That somehow having no maximum edit times wastes precious resources is pure crap, given how cheap computer tech is.

I suppose you'll remember that the old A2K disallowed editing once your post had been replied to. In many cases, this happened quicker than the current system allows you to edit. So it's an improvement, not a lesser feature, over the old one.

Cycloptichorn
tanguatlay

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:55 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

This is not a good way to contact the Moderators. Use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of every page. I saw this by chance.
Yes, I did before, but there was no response despite using 'Contact Us' link, not even an acknowledgment of my feedback.

Yes, I previewed before sending, but on a few occasions, after I realized that I had made an error, I tried to edit but the time was up.

I wonder whether how many other members have similar experience.
ossobuco

Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:58 pm
@tanguatlay,
Of course we have. Get over it. And review your preview further, if you care that much about perfection.. Many of us do not.
tanguatlay

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:01 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks, Ossobuco.

I wonder what the moderators have to say about my request for extended time.

Also, what is the view of other members about the need for more time before editing is disallowed?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:37 am
The pre-set editing time is just that. It is set by the owners of the site. If some people have difficulty finding all the flaws in their posts within that allotted time, there are many options for the purpose of perfecting a post on A2K that don't require the site's software to accommodate each individual's needs.

You posted a similar complaint a month ago and I offered a suggestion to help avoid the problem. Have you tried it?

http://able2know.org/topic/129205-1#top

Quote:
When I am composing a post that I want to be perfect once posted, I usually write it in Word or Notepad and do all my editing there. Once I'm satisfied with it, I then copy from there and paste it into the A2K message form. That way the editing timer doesn't have any effect on me.

Even then, I use the preview feature to confirm it is as I intended before finally clicking the Post/Reply button.
tanguatlay

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, Butrflynet.

I know I did provide the same feedback about a month ago. However, I've posted this topic again, hoping that something be done to extend the pre-set editing time as there was no reply from the moderator or the technical section of the forum.

I often preview before I post my query. However, being a non-native, I often realize that I have made a mistake after I have posted the question. By then, it is too late. I think I should just ignore whatever mistakes I make instead of trying of amend them because, as you said, the pre-set editing time is set by the owners of the site. As this is the case, I think the moderators will be unable to do anything about it.

Butrflynet

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 12:58 pm
@tanguatlay,
Your response again ignores the suggestion I gave that puts you in complete control of the editing time.

This has nothing to do with your being a non-native English speaker. Just like many native speakers, you've developed a lazy habit and won't retrain yourself to avoid the problems created by the lazy habit. You would have the same complaint with the editing time if you were composing, reviewing and editing your posts in Mandrin, Spanish, English or any other language; even your own native language.

You have a desire for perfection in your posts and don't always catch errors and needed revisions before the editing clock expires. There's nothing wrong with that. Many of us have a similar standard of perfection for our writing. However, rather than using an independent software to compose and edit your posts so that you'll have unlimited editing time, you're requesting the A2K software be altered to fit your individual needs.

The solution to the problem is in your own hands. Make use of Word or Notepad or any other word processing software to compose, review and edit your posts before copy and pasting them into the form on A2K.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Untrue. Having a time limit on editing keeps people from editing embarrassing, stupid things they have said out of the record. That's a good reason.

Exactly, even with the limit in place there are some who will insult a member and then delete the post right away (we know this because this is a "soft" deletion and the posts are still kept). It's not accidental and a case of second thoughts, it's intentional use of this feature to insult someone and then hide the traces.

That kind of thing would be more common, and you'd get people who would ask a question and then modify the question to make the respondents look stupid.

That being said, I do think the time can be extended, but we are waiting for some other changes to the edit feature to implement it (one thing we may go for is a public revision history).
Robert Gentel

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:16 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
Just another example of how the new A2K forum is inferior. That somehow having no maximum edit times wastes precious resources is pure crap, given how cheap computer tech is.

Here you go talking out of your ass again. On the previous software, the edit function would update a huge, poorly designed search database, that would map each word to all the posts that used it. So on the old software an edit would take several seconds, because it would have to update the wordmatch table.

The current software's edit feature is designed without that critical flaw (which is what would break the search index on the old software), and both the new and the old software had a limit on editing.
roger

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 08:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I appreciate the speed of edits. It used to be more than several seconds, by the way. Often, I can fix things before anybody has a chance to reply, though maybe not before it's been read.

I recall the very early days of a2k. Edits were allowed whenever the author desired, and I have seen the option abused. Still, I would like a bigger editing window, too, so long as no reply has been made.
Robert Gentel

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 09:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Still, I would like a bigger editing window, too, so long as no reply has been made.

The building of the second part (which doesn't yet exist here) is one of the bigger things holding up the first part.
tanguatlay

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 09:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for all the opinions.

I think it would be good if a moderator responds to my request in view of the fact that a couple of members agree that the editing expiry time should be extended.
Butrflynet

Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:55 pm
@tanguatlay,
You've already had a moderator respond in this thread as well as the site owner.