Book Thrown At Shoe Thrower

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:01 am
The Iraqi journalist who threw shoes at then-President George W. Bush was sentenced to three years in prison for assaulting a foreign leader.

Your opinion on the sentence?

1) Just
2) Too harsh
3) Not severe enough
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,479 • Replies: 17
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'll go with option number 2.

I should say that I like how the trend has taken off. Even Ahmadenijad got a shoe! They should start a Presidential Shoe club. "Hey, I got a loafer, what did you get?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:04 am
You and Finn have got to stop meeting like this, Miss Duck, people are starting to quack . . .
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:24 am
I think it depends on where you are.

Here in the US...a little harsh considering OJ and others can get off on a technicality.

In countries where they still cut off your hand for shoplifting I'd say he got off easy.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You and Finn have got to stop meeting like this, Miss Duck, people are starting to quack . . .

Embarrassed
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 08:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I vote for option 3...

he had two chances and couldn't even hit his target once.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:06 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I vote for option 3...

he had two chances and couldn't even hit his target once.

I bet he can't hit the three pointer either...
eoe

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:04 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think it's too harsh. I mean, is that not STILL the funniest piece of footage around? Whenever I need a good laugh, I watch that.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 05:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The fool is lucky he did not get shot by the security teams and I would have not one tear in my eyes if he had been so shot.
roger

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 05:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
1) Just about right. Too severe for a tourist, but right for a head of state.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 05:43 pm
@BillRM,
So right.

What happened with our crack Secret Service team though?

One shoe OK, but a second?

Why wasn't he on the ground underneath at least one agent before he got off the second shoe

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 05:45 pm
@roger,
I agree.

No way of knowing, of course, but I suspect that those who feel it too harsh are influenced, to some degree, by their distaste for the particular president targeted.
patiodog

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 07:00 pm
Depends -- is this country-club prison, or pound-me-in-the-*** prison?

I go with "too harsh."

If the shoe was on the other foot -- if a journalist threw his togs at Saddam Hussein on American soil -- would you lobby for three years in prison for the offense? C'mon.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 08:46 pm
@patiodog,
Yes actually I would.

First of all, George Bush and Saddam Hussein are similar only by the facts that they are/were both men who were once heads of state of their countries.

Secondly, if, for some reason, Saddam had come to the US and appeared on a stage with our president and a US journalist threw rotten eggs at him (the rough equivalent of shoes in an Arab nation), he too would have been arrested and prosecuted. Hopefully he would have received a similar punishment.

Question him harshly, address him rudely, or march outside of the White House carrying insulting banners - all fine.

Physically accosting a head of state invited to our country by our government - not fine.

0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
No way of knowing, of course, but I suspect that those who feel it too harsh are influenced, to some degree, by their distaste for the particular president targeted.

I think it's a harsh punishment for throwing a shoe at someone. I think jail time for throwing a shoe and causing no injury is harsh regardless of who the target is. For example, here's a non-political shoe assault that I think was reacted too harshly as well.

In this video, the girl being beaten kicked off her shoes and actually hit the cop with a shoe.

In the Iraqi's case, he caused no harm and was tackled and roughed up afterward as well. I do think what he did should be a crime, but not one that merits jail time on its own. I think a fine would have been justice.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 10:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you for your opinion
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 12:23 am

There were shoes thrown in Calgary during Bush's visit
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/03/17-10
A few arrests, too

whatever the shoe thrower did, he started something
That's the power of symbolism
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 03:54 am
So, we have another Finn special. One is invited to express one's opinion, but Finn is lying in ambush for those who express an opinion which he can twist to make a claim of political prejudice. One expects nothing less.
0 Replies