Daylight Savings??? What a Crock!!!

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:47 am
First... the name. The amount of daylight today is no different than if we hadn't changed the clocks. The very name is a lie. You aren't saving anything.

Second... what have you lost? Between yesterday and today you and I have lost an hour... an hour which could have been spent inventing something, or spending with your kids, or even ranting on the internet. You will notice they erase an hour in the early morning where they hope no one will notice.

But the real effect is this! I have a 9:00AM group meeting (which in my estimation is too early for a meeting anyway). For the next few months this will really be an 8:00AM meeting (even though no one will admit it).

This is a devious conspiracy of morning people.

maporsche

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:49 am
@ebrown p,
Um, you haven't lost any time whatsoever.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:04 am
@maporsche,
Of course we have lost time. Normally a weekend has 48 hours. This weekend had only 47. When I have to get up at 6:30AM tomorrow morning to get Mija to kindergarten and then make my 9:00AM meeting... this will all happen one hour earlier than it should.

There is no question that an hour was lost.
dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:05 am
@ebrown p,
Yes, but you get it back all safe and sound in a few months.

There there....

raprap

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:15 am
In reality I feel the opposite. I wish they'd stay on DST year around. The main argument that DST has to be shiftd is because schoolkids would have to get on busses in the dark. Why punish the majority for the few---simply start schools an hour later and let the majority enjoy an hour of daylight after the normal work shift is over.

As for me--lighten up, this is the best day of the year. The worst comes in about six months.

Rap
ebrown p

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:15 am
@dlowan,
... but we get it back without interest.

For these months we have to wake up an hour earlier than nature intends, then we are supposed to feel better when things get back to normal?

The net result is that we have to pull our selves out of bed earlier for months. How come we never set the clocks in such a way that we can wake up later than normal?

Fair would be to divide the year into three parts. Daylight savings time, then normal time, then we would put the clocks forward again to have Nighttime savings time (where my 9:00AM meeting would finally seem bearable).

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:16 am
@ebrown p,
I love Daylight Saving Time.

But I'm sorry for your loss.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:27 am
You are so right about the stupidity of daylight savings time.
We do not save any energy at all. Some place a test was made and we use up to 3% more energy.
It is dark when we get up and use more electricity in the morning.
When we get back home we have one hour more day light, but have to use the same amount of energy to cook, clean, do the laundry and watch TV.
It is NO good for babies, people depending on absolute regularly taking medicin.
It is difficult to get the cows to get used to be milked an hour earlier.
People having to go to work early have to go to work in dark instead of day light.
It costs a lot of money to change the clocks every where, stop the trains so they still arrive at given time - the same of course for air planes, busses any other public transports.
We in Europe will get it the 29th of March - just wish it would go away.
maporsche

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:30 am
I'm sorry, you haven't lost any time at all. There are still 24 hours in this day (regardless of what the clock says). The earth's rotation did not instanenously go forward an hour. We did not all time travel to the future.

Like any other day, time kept on keeping on 1 second at a time.

What you're in danger of losing apparently, is your mind.
maporsche

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:32 am
@raprap,
It's more like 8 months now (it doesn'c change back until November).

And you're right, my mood lightens at this time of year.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:40 am
@raprap,
Quote:
....simply start schools an hour later and let the majority enjoy an hour of daylight after the normal work shift is over.

I am all for it. School starts here at 7:30 am and it will be most gruesome
tomorrow morning to get up way too early.

DST should be observed all year round, especially since out here in CA
it's usually dark by 8:00 pm anyways.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:47 am
@ebrown p,
brown wrote :

Quote:
For these months we have to wake up an hour earlier than nature intends,

that's the advantage farmers have , they can get up "when nature intends' - or when the rooster crows - about 4 A.M. <GRIN> .
hbg
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:53 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
There are still 24 hours in this day (regardless of what the clock says).

It seems to me that a day is defined by the clock. But OK, I will play along...

Tell me the exact time that Sunday (i.e. today) started. Then tell me the exact time that Monday will start. Are you saying that days will start at 11:00PM from now until November?

It is a fact that between midnight last night and midnight tonight there will only be 23 hours. To say that an hour wasn't lost requires an awfully big stretch in logic.
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:54 am
what about us in europe? do i change my clocks as well? or will it be next week?
maporsche

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:55 am
@ebrown p,
A big stretch in logic? Really? Do you understand logic?

Did the earth complete it's full rotation in 23 hours yesterday? Did we all lose 3600 seconds from our lives? I wonder what Einstein would think of that?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:57 am
@dagmaraka,
Clocks will move forward one hour on
Sunday 29 March 01:00 GMT* (02:00 BST)

That's for Great Britain, it seems. Anyone knows if it's the same for the rest of Europe? I presume so.
maporsche

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:07 am
Let's say I started running on a treadmill at 1:45 am early this morning, and when I got off my stopwatch said 30 minutes.

According to reality, I ran for 30 minutes.

According to ebrown's logical thinking, I ran for 1 hour and 30 minutes because we pushed our clocks forward 1 hour.

So, in the REAL world, no time was lost. But, I've long suspected ebrown of living in some other reality, so back to his complaining.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:29 am
@ebrown p,
I agree with you, ebrown p.

This probably means the end of the world is nigh, so at least you needn't worry about daylight saving time anymore.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:30 am
@dagmaraka,
You're changing next week, Dasha.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:35 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
This is a devious conspiracy of morning people.

I'm a morning people and I hate time-change as well. Going forward and going backward. Hate it hate it hate it hate it.

Who to blame? I blame maporsche.
Why?
Because I'm grouchy today and I can.
0 Replies