Daylight Savings??? What a Crock!!!

roger

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 08:04 pm
It's like a piece of string, 24 hours long. We cut an hour off the front. Now, just for Brown, we'll tie it on the other end, and make it all longer, again.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 09:01 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Those who do not like Daylight Savings Time might have already far exceeded one hour of lost time through the time complaining about it.

Well if the complaint is based on "lost" time it's pretty silly. My objection to it is in changing the time just to try to get people to wake up earlier.

I contend that it's much more convenient to just wake up earlier if you want more daylight. You don't need to change what time it is to do that and you get all the benefits without the annoyance of time shifting around so arbitrarily.

Right now it's ridiculous, you've got some states that don't observe it in the US (e.g. Arizona), but then they might have regions within the state (e.g. the Navajo Reservation) that do.

If you do business across time zones, or have to build things that depend on time (you'd be surprised how much does) it's just so much extra complication to get people out of bed earlier in the summer.

And then, if you figure it all out, you have to be ready for the changes that come, because every year there are politicians from somewhere trying to change how their region handles DST and if you depend on time across many time zones you need to keep up to date on all the different changes.

So in practice, if you were to make business logic depend on time, you'd better pick a time that doesn't change, and convert. Because if you base it on this shifting time, you've got all sorts of problems.

Here's a real-world non-technical example: when paying nurses for their shifts, in some locations we were required to pay an extra hour when the change occurred during their shift, incurring overtime for work that never happened.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:15 pm
I don't like DST either.

Don't like it that it stays light later in the evening.

Makes me uneasy.

Love it when the time changes back, and it's dark early early early.

Soothing.

Been this way since childhood, as long as I can remember.
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:22 am
The government interferes with almost every aspect of our lives.
I reckon they should keep their hands off the bloody clocks.
What with all this daylight being saved it's fading the drapes something terrible.
I vote no to daylight saving.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:36 am
Just curious: Where did the idea of daylight saving originally come from? And on what basis was it deemed to be benificial at that time?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:58 am
@msolga,
Quote:
The practice was first suggested in a whimsical essay by Benjamin Franklin in 1784. In 1907 an Englishman, William Willett, campaigned for setting the clock ahead by 80 minutes in four moves of 20 minutes each during April and the reverse in September. In 1909 the British House of Commons rejected a bill to advance the clock by one hour in the spring and return to Greenwich Mean Time in the autumn.

Several countries, including Australia, Great Britain, Germany[*], and the United States, adopted summer Daylight Saving Time during World War I to conserve fuel by reducing the need for artificial light. During World War II clocks were kept continuously advanced by an hour in some countries"e.g., in the United States from Feb. 9, 1942, to Sept. 30, 1945; and England used “double summer time” during part of the year, advancing clocks two hours from Standard Time during the summer and one hour during the winter months.

Encyclopædia Britannica Online: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/153148/Daylight-Saving-Time

* Germany, Austria and Hungaria were the first, in 1916.

(The allies 'gave' us a "double-summertime" from 1945 until 1949.)
msolga

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 03:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you, Walter. So the original idea was to save fuel during WW1! Fancy that! Surprised
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 03:27 am
@ebrown p,
If you haven't saved anything by changing your clock's reading, you certainly didn't lose anything from the exercise, either.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:05 am
DST, like other impositions, should be eliminated. It doesn't matter the original intention - it should be reviewed now to see whether it's still necessary (if it ever really was). And I don't think it is. Saskatchewan doesn't change to DST and it does just fine.
patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:22 am
@Mame,
I'm very pleased with it. Now the clock on the car stereo I installed last summer is right again.
sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:26 am
@patiodog,
Heh!

I was happy about the additional light last night, and extremely grumpy about waking up an extremely sleepy sozlet and trying to get her to school on time this morning.

On the balance, grumpy.
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:34 am
@sozobe,
EAch day, the grumpy gets displaced by the happiness of the extra hour of light. Soon this entire thread will die and blow away as we get into spring and summer.
I , for one, dislike the summertime sunrises along coastal MAine (At the extreme east end of EDT) where it gets light at 4:30 AM. If it would be EST, that would be 3:30 AM. (AND THE SUNSET WOULD STILL BE AROUND 7:30 PM).

EDT is just fine with me.
Im starting to adjust
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:35 am
@sozobe,
Is that a DST-related, or more general, grumpiness?
sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:42 am
@dlowan,
DST-related, definitely.

But farmerman's right that's its starting to dissipate already... that was probably the worst of it (getting the kid up this AM... she'll be tired tonight and should go to bed earlier and then things will look up from there).
dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:49 am
@sozobe,
That's it.

Relax and enjoy it.

I'm gonna miss it whenever it stops this year.
patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:54 am
@dlowan,
Yep. Switching back to standard time is a bad day in my book.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:57 am
@saab,
Quote:
It is NO good for babies

Ya got that right.

My kid is screwed up big time now. I hate DST. I need my sleep...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:45 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I'm gonna miss it whenever it stops this year.

Really? I love getting back my hour in fall. It's the only good thing about DST.

Of course, the deeper problem is that the stork delivered me to Earth, which is now killing me with its ridiculously short days. On a proper planet, one with a 26 hour day, I could stay up an hour longer every night and stay in bed an hour longer every morning. Life would be wonderful, and DST wouldn't matter. Why don't our politicians fix that?
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:49 am
@Thomas,
Well, thyed have to adjust the orbit AND the angle of the axis.
It would take Congress years to agree.
Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:50 am
@farmerman,
The angle of the axis is fine. I like seasons.