Watching weight.

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 05:32 am
With the lift of the depression I've experienced and my increased appetite, I've started to put on some pounds. So much so that I've had to reassess my diet. So breakfast is now cereal with low fat milk instead of a ham and cheese croissant. Morning tea is fish (sardines or mackerel fillets) on crisp bread instead of a cake and a pint of strawberry milk. Lunch is a ham and salad roll instead of a deep fried fish cake on a salad roll. Dinner is noodles instead of pizza. No more cup cakes with my cups of tea. And a brisk 30 minute walk every evening. I've never had this problem before, so I hope it all works. Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,832 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 05:38 am
Quote:
And a brisk 30 minute walk every evening.

Wilso- I am so happy that things are going well for you. Everything being equal, its that walk that will help you control your appetite, fire up your metabolism, burn some extra calories, and help you fend off depression. Keep it up! Very Happy
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 05:42 am
Maybe some swimming, Wilso? Aerobic exercise to burn calories and imrove heart & lungs & no impacts (like jogging) to wear your knees away. Good luck mate.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 05:47 am
Weather's starting to get warmer. Some swimming will go down well. I haven't got great knees to start with. My work has wrecked them.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 05:52 am
What sort of work is that?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 05:55 am
I'm an electrician at a steel plant. Did lot's of jobs over the years where I was crouching in some awkward position. Not good for the knees.
One of the many reasons I go to uni now. Trying to get away from that kind of work.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 06:51 am
My knees are a bit dodgy as well, although I have no idea why. It freaks people out when I stand up and they makes noises like someone cracking walnuts! I think swimming is supposed to be good for lots of things as well like general posture, strengthening back muscles and general all-round better muscle tone. Which is always a good thing.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 06:53 am
Wilso, sounds like a good job on cutting out sugars and fats. Combined with the exercise, it should work. If you plateau, cut down on the carbs a tad, and increase your protein. For example, instead of a regular sandwich, have an open-faced sandwich, and put more meat on it. Half the carbs, and more protein, also important if you are exercising.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:12 am
I've been a fan of cycling as exercise, but found recently that it is too easy to lock into a rythmn and cruise along without getting much benefit from it (to the point where I can smoke a fag whilst cycling at 15mph and not get out of breath).

Cav - the open sandwich sounds like a more sensible option, but along similar lines, as the Atkins Diet.

Would the long-term effect of all of this diet & exercise be weight loss from fat burning, followed by weight gain as more muscle tissue is deposited? I certainly wouldn't mind weighing what I do now if I could swap 2 stone of fat for muscle.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:17 am
Muscle is four times denser than fat. So you'd weigh the same but would be smaller.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:18 am
My knees also sound like walnuts cracking.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:23 am
Grand Duke, not quite Atkins, just increasing protein, and eating less carbs, especially those based on white flour. For my bread, I prefer multigrain, without any white flour, or sprouted breads, like Ezekiel bread. Complex carbs are absorbed by the system far slower than simple carbs, which gives you more energy for a longer period of time, plus fibre. Simple carbs are broken down very quickly, spiking blood-sugar levels, which can aggravate a myriad of conditions, including diabetes, chronic fatigue and depression.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:56 am
so eg. glucose is right down the simple end, and eg. rye or bran is at the complex end of the scale? i assume then that pasta & rice should be brown/wholemeal if possible?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:08 am
I hear that about the knees, wilso. We had a half dozen serious knee injuries while I was working at the power plant. Always from an off the job injury, but always, always involving our chrom - moly welders who spend way too much time crouching or crawling over tubing while working inside the boilers.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:28 am
Grand Duke, technically yes. However, don't get me wrong, everything in moderation, and one tends to be okay.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:32 am
Good luck Wilso. I'm always on a diet and I pretty much go by Cav's plan, except I don't eat that much meat. Carbs such as past are things I avoid. I only eat wholegrain bread as well. Lots of fish is good too.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:39 am
Cav - I couldn't agree more about 'everything in moderation' as I can't imagine life without at least a little bit of sugar to cheer me up! As a chef you'll know that food made with margerine and milk just isn't as tasty as the same recipe made with butter & cream, although much healthier!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:43 am
My weight (and hence my paunch) seems to be running out of control - and hence I have also gone on a "sort of" diet.

Breakfast is brown bread, coffee, orange juice and a banana along with my vitamins.
Lunch is raw salad, without any dressings

Its the dinner which I have to control, plus I *really* need to get back to the gym !! It is becoming a bit difficult due to all my travelling !
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:43 am
Oh and no alcohol during the week (not even a glass of wine) though I seem to make up for it during the weekend !
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:51 am
Grand Duke, the jury is still out on margarine being better for you. It is chock full of trans-fatty acids.
0 Replies