Watching weight.

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:00 am
It's a veritable minefield, Cav. The main component of my diet is Kellogg's cornflakes. I eat 4-5 bowls a day (tiny sprinkle of sugar, minimal amount of semi-skimmed milk). The rest of the time I eat random stuff (from burgers to beetroot, chocolate to cabbage), depending on my mood, schedule & finances. Can you see any problems in this?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:07 am
I use "I can't believe it's not butter light" and I use very little of it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:08 am
Sure, that's a lot of cornflakes Laughing Lots of sugar, not just the added sugar in the cereal, but the natural sugar in the corn, and the sugar you add yourself. Some balance in your basic diet might be in order.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:21 am
One o my quests in life is to find a food-stuff I can eat most of the time and still get all the necessary nutrients etc.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:31 am
Most of us don't actually get what we require, so I'm in favour of a good-quality daily multi vitamin-mineral supplement, and an extra B-vitamin complex as well.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:38 am
Although "times they are a changin' " in Britain, alot of food here is still of the traditional meat & carbs variety, with added fat. Vitamins sound like a good idea for someone as "dietarily-impared" as me.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
Hi All
I worked for a while in a naturopath doctors office a couple of summers ago. He told me some very interesting things.
There are basically three types of foods - starch, fats and proteins. Thusly your body produces three types of digestive enzymes. When you eat carbs your body produces insulin which triggers your body to store fat. As cav said, there are two types of carbs - complex and simple.
Simple carbs are basically anything refined - such as sugars, white flour, white rice ect. So it goes without saying that most foods with labels ie, junk food, pop, cereals, pre-mixed packages ect are probably refined as well, not to mention the colouring, additives and preservatives.
These foods are time bombs and will put the weight on like no other.
So if you want to lose weight cut out the simple carbs.
Make sure 70% of your carb intake is raw, veggies, fruit - Cooking food, kills the natural enzymes in raw food which will help you digest food properly and more easily.
Low fat diets are silly, you need fat in your diet, you won't store excess fat if you reduce your carbs.
Protein will maintain and/or increase your metabolism.

One last tip... If your having a problem with constant hunger pangs, try psyllium (sold at most health food and grocery stores). It it a natural fibre product. It has absolutely NO nutritional value aside from the fibre content but...We call it liquid filler. 2/4 times a day, mix a tablespoon with a wee bit of OJ, some olive oil and a cup of water. Drink immediately (tastes terrible). Not only will it fill you up, it will scrape any yeast build up from your bowels that can cause a myriad of other problems.
Thanks,
Ceili
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:05 am
Leave off the olive oil and it tastes just like orange juice.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:11 am
Also...have you ever seen a fat crackhead?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:18 am
Roger, you need the oil to help thangs flow smoothly if ya get my drift...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:02 am
I take mine in an olive oil vinegarette on salads, not as a beverage. It is the right kind of fat. The psyllum seed husks will keep things moving nicely, thanks.
0 Replies