"Never let a good crisis go to waste!" - Fear-mongering?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:30 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
You're on an opinion board essentially arguing that every response to your opinion is just opinion and therefore invalid.

No, I am pointing out that although these claims about Bush are clearly expressed as factual in this forum they are merely opinion, and poorly supported opinion at that.

Quote:
Of course it's possible that Bush was using fear for some other purpose, or that he expanded his own power through some other means, but that he used fear and expanded his own power is a fact. You merely need to have a look through the archives to see this.

It is not only possible, it is fairly certain. He was using fear to motivate the American people to support what he believed was action that was essential to our security, just as Obama is using fear to motivate the American people to support what he believes are actions crucial to our economic well being.

You all glibly throw off that Bush "expanded his power." How so? Presumably you can list several of the most dramatic examples of his expansion of the powers of the Executive branch.

Having done so you must then explain the manner in which it was an expansion. An expansion beyond the powers Clinton as the Chief Executive laid claims to? An expansion beyond the powers any other president in history laid claim to?

Quote:
Everything is relative. That's why whenever someone comes forward with a complaint about Obama screwing up, people immediately compare it to Bush's fuckups and determine that they are minor in comparison. And why every time Obama screws up Bush fans like yourself use that to retroactively absolve Bush of his fuckups, or try to make them look somehow smaller now that the new president has not embodied perfection.

See above for the actual context of my comment, and while your comments are off the point, they are worth addressing.

Let's assume you are right with the first part of your screed. Are you and others members of the Obama family or some Obama Team? If Obama has, in fact, screwed up, why do you feel it necessary to compare the extent of the screw up to prior mistakes and misdeeds. I could understand if the topic of discussion was "Who is a better president, Bush or Obama?" or "Obama's mistakes are worse than Bush's," but it's not, it is a discussion about Obama and his actions.

If he has screwed up to the detriment of the country, the fact that prior presidents may or may not have screwed up even worse is immaterial when assessing the damage done in the here and . I'm sure you understood this concept when Bush supporters threw Clinton's misdeeds at you upon your criticism of Bush. Tougher to understand now?

The notion that Obama's opponents are pointing out his screw-ups to absolve Bush of his, is simply ridiculous and the point where your comments morphed into screed.

Quote:
I'd call it pure speculation based on fact.

If you prefer.

It is a fact that ranchers in the Southwest have, for years, been finding cattle corpses with what appears to be bizzare mutilations. Speculating on this fact a whole cottage industry around Alien visitations has grown. Scientists speculating on quite a few more facts have offered convincing arguments on how the phenomena is entirely explainable by natural (to earth) factors.

Quote:
Weakening the rule of law was bad for our country's reputation around the world and for our citizens. Politicizing the justice department resulted in a further weakening of the rule of law, which weakens peoples' faith in their government, which makes it harder to get their support for initiatives that affect the whole country. Signing statements designed to instantly nullify parts of laws passed by congress and signed by him subverted the constitutional powers granted to Congress. Undermining the constitution is bad for the country. What exactly did he do that was good for this country?

Protected us from further terrorist attacks? But I guess in your world view, anyone could have done the same. Why? Because there never was a real threat post 9/11?

In any case your list of charges are nothing more than "speculation based on fact," or "opinion based on bias."

Quote:
I can accept that, sure. So what?

I suppose, when push comes to shove, you can in the same way that you can accept there are quite a few morons walking the earth, however what I think you have a very hard time accepting is that the people who believe Bush was not a force of evil, are not evil themselves, or stupid dupes.

Fair enough, I think the people who believe that Obama can do no wrong are stupid dupes.

Frankly, I'm also pretty pissed that you folks who spent the last eight years dumping on Bush can't defend your guy without still dumping on Bush. When does Obama get judged on his own?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Having done so you must then explain the manner in which it was an expansion. An expansion beyond the powers Clinton as the Chief Executive laid claims to? An expansion beyond the powers any other president in history laid claim to?

Save this for a few seconds...

Quote:
I could understand if the topic of discussion was "Who is a better president, Bush or Obama?" or "Obama's mistakes are worse than Bush's," but it's not, it is a discussion about Obama and his actions.

If he has screwed up to the detriment of the country, the fact that prior presidents may or may not have screwed up even worse is immaterial when assessing the damage done in the here and . I'm sure you understood this concept when Bush supporters threw Clinton's misdeeds at you upon your criticism of Bush. Tougher to understand now?

Well it seemed tougher for you earlier in your own post, when you wanted to make a relative comparison of Bush's expansion of powers as compared to what Clinton claimed.

Quote:
Frankly, I'm also pretty pissed that you folks who spent the last eight years dumping on Bush can't defend your guy without still dumping on Bush. When does Obama get judged on his own?

I agree with this sentiment, but as you demonstrate above these are relative opinions, and comparison to previous performance is useful.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 07:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn wrote:
You all glibly throw off that Bush "expanded his power." How so? Presumably you can list several of the most dramatic examples of his expansion of the powers of the Executive branch.

It's all been talked about here ad nauseam. Folks have written books about it. Google "Bush expanded presidential power". This isn't something I just made up or unthinkingly accepted based on emails from MoveOn.org. And I think Robert makes a good point.

I don't feel the need to respond to much else that you said as it appears to me that you are operating under several false assumptions. Mostly, that when I say "people" I mean "myself". I feel no need to defend myself against accusations of bias based on other peoples' reactions and not my own.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Frankly, I'm also pretty pissed that you folks who spent the last eight years dumping on Bush can't defend your guy without still dumping on Bush.

Why are you pissed? Why such a personal reaction? I personally don't feel the need to defend Obama at all. I expect him to screw up and don't agree with a few of the things he's done/proposed. It's not about my guy vs. your guy, it's about doing better than we did before. You may have thought we were doing just fine under the previous leadership but I didn't and most people didn't. Since it's clear that we're going in a different direction now, I'm going to shut up for a while and see what comes of it.

Quote:

When does Obama get judged on his own?

When you give him a little more time. It's what, March? Given the mess he inherited almost everything he does is going to be judged relative to the administration that just left. People are trying to measure directionality. Just look at how most news stories on most every issue are framed in terms of whether the new administration is departing or in keeping with the previous.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hey Finn, when you going to cart your 'high-producer' ass on to some other country? Or were those just empty threats like most your kind puts forth?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

When does Obama get judged on his own?

I'll add that the above quote coming from you, after starting a thread to compare and contrast Obama's use of fear mongering with Bush's, is rich.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 10:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Well it seemed tougher for you earlier in your own post, when you wanted to make a relative comparison of Bush's expansion of powers as compared to what Clinton claimed.

I'm sure you're proud of this clever comment, but what does it mean?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 10:57 pm
@FreeDuck,
Quote:
It's all been talked about here ad nauseam. Folks have written books about it. Google "Bush expanded presidential power". This isn't something I just made up or unthinkingly accepted based on emails from MoveOn.org.

So how hard would it be for you to list them (the most dramatic examples of the his expansion of the powers of the Executive Branch)? Since the world is awash with them, it would seem that it might only take you 30 seconds or so to list a few.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 12:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm sure you're proud of this clever comment, but what does it mean?

I state as much very clearly in my next sentence. Again:

I share your frustration with the "he did it too" path a lot of political discussion takes, but when discussing relative concepts it's only natural to compare, as you demonstrated yourself.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 07:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
It's all been talked about here ad nauseam. Folks have written books about it. Google "Bush expanded presidential power". This isn't something I just made up or unthinkingly accepted based on emails from MoveOn.org.

So how hard would it be for you to list them (the most dramatic examples of the his expansion of the powers of the Executive Branch)? Since the world is awash with them, it would seem that it might only take you 30 seconds or so to list a few.

The reason I've been avoiding it is because any listing of examples is an invitation to derail the thread with arguments about whether they are valid -- arguments that have been had already on threads dedicated to each. So I'll leave you this, and if you would like to discuss it more we could start another thread about it. But it really doesn't have much bearing on your original topic.

musings on whether the new president will continue Bush's power expansion

signing statements

congress and courts push back on expansion

opinion piece with links to supporting facts

You could use the search capabilities of A2K to find all the threads on wiretapping, signing statements, politicization of the justice department, Guantanamo, and torture, if you like.
0 Replies