A METEOR CAME HOW CLOSE?

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:33 am
Holy **** friends and neighbors, we were buzzed by a meteor about the same size as the one that blew up near Tunguska. This one passed within 40000 miles of the earyn and the hell of it? We only knew about this two days in advance of the buzzby.

We are all perfectly safe and all things are under control, bzzzz....(click-click)....bzzzz....

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/40504617.html

Dont know about you but Im getting really stressed out with the economy, and PAkistan/Mexico and now this. I need a beverage.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 3,803 • Replies: 32
No top replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:55 am
@farmerman,
You don't need a beverage, Farmerman, all you need to do is contact the Anthropogenic Global Warming Hysterical Society, tell them you came up with a cure for their imaginary problem, to wit, a re-run of the K-T boundary event:

Quote:
......Later effects of the catastrophe were even worse. The explosion threw millions of tons of ash and dust into the atmosphere, blocking sunlight for many months. This made Earth's surface very dark and cold and destroyed most of the surface plants, causing most of the planet's food chain to collapse. Roughly 70 percent of all the animal and plant species on Earth, including all of the dinosaurs, died....

http://www.scienceclarified.com/scitech/Comets-and-Asteroids/When-Comets-and-Asteroids-Strike-Earth.html

They can't keep worrying about both a problem and its solution simultaneously Smile
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:59 am
@farmerman,
What's to get stressed out about a meteor? If it hits us, it hits us ....

The distressing thing is we knew about it two days in advance and did not send up the Armageddon gang!

(Psst ... got the cigar ... thanks again. It was a beautiful smoke with a perfect draw.)
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
hello apocalypse, i embrace thee.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
Do you wish the antidote?
farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:13 pm
@High Seas,
I dont argue the AGW issue anymore. The data being generated on both sides is getting to be bogus. I left a request on the global warming thread to please show evidence that the CO2 precedes any warming. (It doesnt, CO2 is a following indicator.).
DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:24 pm
The part that worries me is that we might not be the ones to get vaporized.

I'm not cut out for the post-apocalyptic life.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:00 pm
It actually came closer to us than our moon does. I was pretty creeped out too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:11 pm
Actually Miss Kay, the moon is slowly moving away from us . . . i suspect that it knows it's high time to get out of the neighborhood, but doesn't want to tip us off by any sudden moves . . .
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 06:17 am
@Setanta,
I think that K meant that this was INSIDE the lunar orbit. Thats the amazing thing. Apparently noone was watching that side of the room since this one came out of a trajectory that wasnt considered to be too much of concern.
patiodog

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 06:42 am
@farmerman,
Henceforth I shall carry an umbrella.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 07:50 am
@Ticomaya,
If it hits us, it gets to be a meteorITE.
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 08:19 am
An' if it digs a big hole in the ground, and sticks down into a cave, it gets to be a stalactite . . .
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 08:36 am
It's all Farmerman's fault that he didn't see it coming and failed to tell us to hide under our beds.

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 09:21 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Dont know about you but Im getting really stressed out with the economy, and PAkistan/Mexico and now this. I need a beverage.

Time for that tour of the Yuengling's brewery, while we still have it.

Two days notice is the worst time of all -- just long enough to panic, just short enough you can't really do anything.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 09:44 am
@dlowan,
But until it does, it's just a meteOR.
Endymion

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 10:21 am
@farmerman,

That's pretty intense. Like - Strike One!
But maybe it's a good omen. Don't see why not. If it had hit us it would have been a bad one.

Or maybe it did hit us and we're all already dead. This is just an echo that will fade out eventually and we're about to find out who is right...
You or Spendi
Frank or the Pope
Any of us?
(My bet is, none of us)
But if the Pope's right and there IS a god, i've got to eat my hat, boots, guitar and some old bloke's beard. Come to think of it, he's probably already in his grave.

As for Pakistan......................
Yeah - i need a drink .

cheers
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 11:51 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

But until it does, it's just a meteOR.

I'm just a a meteOR
And everywhere I GORE,
People know the part I'm playin'....

As life
Goes on
Without me
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 12:12 pm
TWo days notice is barely enough time to kiss your ass goodbye. The 10 story building size would yield a coupled atomic equivalent of about 14 megatons (You must take into consideration the atmospherics). Lots of energy to take up.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I dont argue the AGW issue anymore. The data being generated on both sides is getting to be bogus. I left a request on the global warming thread to please show evidence that the CO2 precedes any warming. (It doesnt, CO2 is a following indicator.).

If only training in mathematical modeling were compulsory before anyone opines on AGW! But we're more likely to live to see the next planned meteor strike (sometime in the year 2800) than we are to see that phenomenon....