Looking for ways to watch TV online

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 02:45 pm
I am hopeless. It is confusing.

I want to find and watch tv episodes online when I want to catch up on shows. Currently I am trying to find last Friday nights Battlestar Galactica. I tried looking for it on scifi.com. They don't seem to have it yet. I try to find a list of episodes in chgronological order (with air date would be nice), but find one that I can only think is in order.

My housemate says to use places like Hulu - I can't find this last episode there. She says there are other places to watch recent episodes almost as soon as they're aired. But I am worried about getting another virus by clicking where I shouldn't
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,297 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by littlek
CalamityJane
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 03:30 pm
@littlek,
Perhaps www.surfthechannel.com can help you.
littlek

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ I could kiss you! Thanks!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 05:34 pm
@littlek,
I go to VeohTV.com http://www.veoh.com/ for older episodes but if the sites don't have a current episode, the only way to download is to used ITune or one of the other pay services. It's less costly to either rent the DVR recorder from a cable company or satellite which saves shows on a hard drive for your television
a TiVo, or any of the many brands of DVR (Digital Video Recorder). I haven't checked prices on the hardware lately and don't know if it's available with HD and without or not. There might be some non HD DVR's left on the market that would be pretty cheap.

Here's the cheapest TiVo I could find with 80 hrs. recording time.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD649080-Series2-Dual-Tuner-Recorder/dp/B000ER5G58/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1236036560&sr=1-13

Otherwise, just have to be patient. Actually, the Sci-Fi Channel starts repeating episodes in not too much of a wait.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 05:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
Cool. Thanks CJ.

I would also add iTunes to the list. $2.00 will get you a show with no commercials. I have found that really good shows are even better without annoying commercials.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 05:42 pm
I think that Hulu is only for NBC shows.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 05:45 pm
I see a list of episodes here: http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/episodes/index.php.

Ooops.

That's just a recap.

You used to be able to watch the episodes there, but it looks like they've monetized it by going through iTunes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 05:46 pm
Here's Battlestar Gallactica on VEOH TV:

http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/Battlestar+Galactica

For $ 2.00 a shot, I'd rather have the DVR and I just fast forward through the commercials. We just watched last night's two hour Brothers and Sisters which took up about 84 min. w/o commercials.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:04 am
I believe the entire new series of Battlestar Gallactica has been syndicated to HD Net, the pay premium hi-def channel on cable and satellite (along with the HD Net Movies) or Universal. HD Net would be commercial free. As NBC Universal owns the Sci-Fi channel, I'm dubious that HD Net can make the deal. They do have the superior picture and sound now available in HD and Dolby Digital -- "Torchwood" is digitally shot with hi def cameras and it looks outrageously good on HD Net, as well as "Star Trek: Enterprise" and "Smallville."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 03:47 pm
@Lightwizard,
I fell asleep just as the show was starting last night. Dammit!

Lightwizard, thanks for the options. I can't buy anything right now (or for any time in the forseeable future).

This week, the link I clicked through CJ's link tried to give me a virus.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 08:16 pm
Was Galactica new last night? My DVR didn't pick it up, although it got Terminator.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 09:18 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Was Galactica new last night? My DVR didn't pick it up, although it got Terminator.

Yes, it was new. Unfortunately it seemed more like just a "place holder" before the 2hour season finale next week. There were a lot of flashbacks which didn't seem to add anything meaningful to the story. With only two hours left to go, and a massive space battle set to occur, I have a hard time seeing how they are going to tie up all the loose ends. I'm prepared to be disappointed in the ending of this otherwise spectacular series.
0 Replies