Is my blood pressure too low?

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:16 pm
I know I have normally have a low blood pressure rate, but don't know much about it. So recently when some one took my blood pressure rate, I wrote it down. It was 115/65. So I decided to google it. I discovered that my rate is the ideal rate for sleeping.

Now I know you get a lot of crap when you google things, but does anyone know what this means? Am I just way too calm? Considering the about of stress in my life, I am surprised that I have such a low rate.
But is this rate too low?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 33,031 • Replies: 61
No top replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:22 pm
@Linkat,
I'm not in the medical field, but those numbers sound good to me.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:24 pm
@Linkat,
That a wonderful blood pressure.

It's not too low.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:26 pm
@Linkat,
My blood pressure dropped to 67/33 and was still dropping when I was in ICU and according to the charts that is dead. I am still here though.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:33 pm
@TTH,
TTH wrote:

My blood pressure dropped to 67/33 and was still dropping when I was in ICU and according to the charts that is dead. I am still here though.

are you?

how do you know this isn't some post mortem electrical impulse flickering through your brain.

are you really sure this entity that calls itself chai is real, or just some dust in your sprokets?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
It's in the low normal range. The systolic (the 115 number) is normal, it's a good number; the diastolic (the 65 number) is a little low, but not necessarily indicative of any problem. At the U.S. Army Medical Field Service School, we were taught that 115/75 is a good normal, resting pressure. Resting pressure means your blood pressure when you have been at least 15 minutes without any vigorous exercise or movement, preferably sitting. There are many, many things which can affect your blood pressure, such as the amount of salt in your diet. I eat a lot of salt and salty foods, and normally have a low blood pressure--the amount of salt in my diet puts it into normal ranges. I once stopped eating any salt or salty foods for two days, and my BP dropped to 90/60, which was close to too low. How much water you drink can affect it. The amount of exercise you normally get (as opposed to how much exercise you've gotten immediately before a BP reading) has an affect. The more cardiopulmonary exercise you normally get, the lower your BP should be.

And, of course, your age, weight, BMI, gender and any meds you routinely take affect this. If you have been using the same Doc for several years, the next time you have a chance, ask the nurse to look through your chart and tell you what kind of BP range you have shown. I don't think this is a problem, and you would know best if you are feeling peculiar.
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:37 pm
@TTH,
Don't peddle bullshit. Dead people don't have a blood pressure, because their heart isn't pumping.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:37 pm
@Setanta,
set, let me ask your opinion.

is TTH still "here"?
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:38 pm
@chai2,
Personally, i don't think she ever has been "here." Unfortunately, she's still there, and still posting.
TTH

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:39 pm
@Setanta,
It isn't bs Setanta. According to the charts if the blood pressure goes below those #'s it said death or coma.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Personally, i don't think she ever has been "here." Unfortunately, she's still there, and still posting.

You seem rather testy.

Have you had a bowel movement today?

I'm just asking as a concerned party.
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:40 pm
@TTH,
According to what charts? Got a citation or a link for your bullshit?
TTH

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:41 pm
@chai2,
So you explain to me why my blood pressure could drop so low and even lower? The doctors had no idea.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:43 pm
@Setanta,
This chart:
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure.htm
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:43 pm
@chai2,
First thing this morning. It was reasonably solid and moved swiftly and easily through the descending colon.

Well . . . you asked . . .

I have little patience with people who offer medical advice without a clue. I've had some experience (three years in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, and three years in civilian hospitals thereafter), but that was years ago, and i always advise contacting a medical professional. If i had just been discharged from the Army Medical Corps yesterday, i'd advise contacting a medical professional. If Linkat is just asking out of idle curiosity, then the answer i provided should suffice--but i did advise checking her medical history. If she feels "funny" at all, she should contact her physician or a nurse call system immedidately.
TTH

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:45 pm
@Setanta,
Still waiting for an answer Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:46 pm
@TTH,
According to that chart, and depending on how you read it, death is not imminent until your BP has dropped to and below 50/35. Long before that point, you would lose consciousness. I'd be interested to know how you knew your blood pressure had dropped that low, given that at the figures you quoted, you'd either be in the process of passing out, or you'd already be unconscious. Frankly, i think you're making **** up.
TTH

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:51 pm
@Setanta,
That is why the doctors were so confused Setanta. I was conscious and watching the freaking #'s. They had no explanation why. The low blood pressure, low pulse rate (in the 30's) and low oxygen (low 70's) was the reason I was in ICU. The doctors told me they didn't think I was going to survive. Actually I heard them outside my room and they figured no longer then 12 hours.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:57 pm
Uh-huh . . . here, pull the other one.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:58 pm
If your BP was 67/33 and dropping, you'd never have lasted 12 hours. It is really irresponsible of you to peddle medical bullshit just so you can attempt to make the thread all about you.

You know, it's been a long time now--isn't it time for you to announce that you are leaving and you're never coming back?