Obama Address/Jindal Response

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:27 am
Absolutely wonderful speech. Right on target in every respect.

Bobby Jindal on the other hand....what a dick. He sounded like he was reading a children's story...and talking to us like we were three years old.

I expected to hear him say "The rain came down really hard. Mom made me put on my boots and yellow slicker".

I practically laughed myself into tears. At him, not with him.

Obama used the word we a lot. A welcome relief after 8 years of "I".

The republicans better get used to wandering in the desert if they don't get on board with the spirit of things...which is fine with me.biggrin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,315 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:55 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
When will the Messiah save us all? How many days will it take?
wandeljw

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:03 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Bobby Jindal on the other hand....what a dick. He sounded like he was reading a children's story...and talking to us like we were three years old.

I expected to hear him say "The rain came down really hard. Mom made me put on my boots and yellow slicker".

I practically laughed myself into tears. At him, not with him.

That was exactly my reaction when I listened to Jindal. I said to my wife, "My god, he talks like Mister Rogers."

I have no idea why Bobby Jindal is described as "charismatic" (unless people consider Barney the purple dinosaur charismatic).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:04 pm
I rate President Obama's speech on delivery A++++ - the man can turn a phrase.

I rate President Obama's speech on substance C-. It was just the same old speech he's being giving for the last several weeks though polished up a bit and perhaps a bit less negative than he has been lately, but still missing any realistic mark of what we need to repair the economy.

I rate Bobby Jindal's speech on delivery D-. For somebody who can do a really good speech he seemed poorly prepped, his delivery was unpolished and lack luster and disappointing.

I rate Bobby Jindal's speech on substance a B+. He did touch on some themes and pertinent points that I wish the President had touched on.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:53 pm
Jindal's use of the response to Katrina to show that Federal Aid is unnecessary was odd. Didn't we give them tens of millions of Federal dollars?

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 03:46 pm
barack rocked.

jindal... jeez.. what happened to him?? he usually comes off as being fairly together. but last night, he sort of came walking out with a bizarre looking smile; sorta like he'd just been caught doing something naughty. then his rebuttal's tone was better suited for a classroom reading of "my pet goat". but the substance of his rebuttal was complete hogwash. "yes, republicans, who controlled congress for nearly a decade and a half, spent way too much money... BUT, the democrats made us do it!!".

huhh???

bobby may have scuttled his national aspirations. wonder if sarah was dancing ecstatically 'round the igloo watching it?

undoubtedly, there are some that didn't connect with what obama was saying. and failed to understand his break out of the stim bill. "same old thing. blah, blah..." and they still are not getting it.

but, according to an instant poll following the speech, public approval of his plan went from 62% to 79%.

kind of puts a different spin on "out of the mainstream", doesn't it ?

slkshock7

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:06 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DTOM wrote:
but, according to an instant poll following the speech, public approval of his plan went from 62% to 79%.

I presume you got this from the CBS poll taken immediately after the speech, but I'll wait for a little more substantive poll that is sure to show up in a few days...

After every speech by a good orator, it typically takes a few days for the emotional high caused by the soaring and uplifting words to wane and reality to set in. It'll be back to 62% or less by next week.
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:10 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I thought three was kinda the benchmark?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:11 pm
@dlowan,
40 is mentioned frequently as well ...
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:14 pm
@Ticomaya,
I thought 40 was just how long the average messiah/prophet got to spend in the wilderness being tempted by the maleficent being du jour and eating locusts?

Or is that loquats...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:41 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

DTOM wrote:

I presume you got this from the CBS poll taken immediately after the speech, but I'll wait for a little more substantive poll that is sure to show up in a few days...

After every speech by a good orator, it typically takes a few days for the emotional high caused by the soaring and uplifting words to wane and reality to set in. It'll be back to 62% or less by next week.

1) i stated clearly that it was an "instant poll". you even used that quoted from my post.

so what's your beef ?

2) reality to set in? are you ******* kidding me? reality set in for most americans a long way back. and the majority of people seem to believe that obama is actually trying to get something done to get things moving. before the speech and after the speech. is that a bad thing?

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

2,915 or so. Better give him the time to get it done.

Cyclotichorn
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
REMEMBER, the GOP is heavily invested in the prevention of Obama having a "finest hour" even if it means taking down the country.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:31 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

REMEMBER, the GOP is heavily invested in the prevention of Obama having a "finest hour" even if it means taking down the country.

Yup, I remember. If he delivers the moon, they will claim he promised the sun and is a failure.

What was hilarious though was watching the Republicans get up and clap for him time after time... when he was articulating essentially liberal policies. He's got power that they don't, none of them have, and Jindal?

Please, it was embarrassing. My friends of Indian descent are ******* embarrassed today.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
you will not be saved...because you have no faith...abandon hope.
JTT

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:35 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Tico's just a shill is all.
0 Replies

Old Crow

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 12:32 am
@Ticomaya,
Try thinking for yourself instead of mimicking Rush Limbaugh. Or are you a sheep in his herd?
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:30 am
@Old Crow,
Old Crow wrote:
Try thinking for yourself instead of mimicking Rush Limbaugh. Or are you a sheep in his herd?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:51 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I rate Bobby Jindal's speech on substance a B+. He did touch on some themes and pertinent points that I wish the President had touched on.

I was kind of the other way on Jindal's content. I covered all of it here, but in summary, I thought that he just spouted the standard conservative positions without showing how any of it has relevance to our current situation. It seems like conservatives are running hard from Bush right now, but Bush really, really gave conservatives a chance to show how they're policies would work when implemented nationally. The non-religious right might have disagreed with his policy on immigration, but on taxes, projection of US military might abroad, foreign policy, regulation and social issues, Bush was right on the money. To me, for Jindal's speech to have relevance, it would have had to address how those policies will change based on the observed results we've had over the last eight years. Without doing that, I don't see how you can give him high marks.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:55 am
@Old Crow,
Old Crow wrote:

I rarely agree with Tico, but I generally value his input and occasionally award him a point or two in the endless debate wars.