How do you unclog a bathtub?

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:44 pm
I have just a normal bath tub but when I take a shower it fills with water. I shave in the bath tub and think that the hair is clogging it. How do I go about unclogging the bath tub? Would it be safe for me to use Draino to clear it out? Im not sure if Draino would be safe since I shower in the bath tub. Any advice that you have would be very helpful.

roger

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:32 am
@bigboycoy,
Yeah, any of the commercial drain cleaners are safe. Usually a plunger will do the job, though. Just don't plunge while there is drain cleaner in the water. The spatter can blind you.

If there is ever a problem in the commode, you have to read the instructions. Some cleaners are not safe there.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:51 am
@bigboycoy,

once the clog is removed, get one of these --

http://epetspa.com/library/RApethairsnare.gif
TTH

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:50 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
once the clog is removed, get one of these --
http://epetspa.com/library/RApethairsnare.gif
That is what I use in my bathtubs and they have never clogged up. Uh, does that say "Pet" on it? I haven't seen that before. In the grocery store they are with the utensils, not in the pet section.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:04 am
@TTH,

works on all types of mammalian hair... Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:40 am
@bigboycoy,
Use two plungers -- use one to seal over the overflow drain, the other to plunge the floor drain. No point pouring chemicals down the drain if you can loosen a big clog the old fashioned way.

If you live in an old house, it's possible that the weight of the tub has caused the floor around it to settle, as well as the pipes that take water away. This can progress to the point where water flowing out has to flow uphill for a few feet. This will cause the tub to empty slowly, and will also greatly increase the rate at which stuff accumulates in the pipe...
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 07:07 am
@patiodog,
Quote:
Use two plungers -- use one to seal over the overflow drain, the other to plunge the floor drain.
duct tape can also be used to seal the overflow...
JTT

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 05:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
What is there that that stuff can't do, eh?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 06:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
Hey, I like that. No way I could handle two plungers at once.
0 Replies