Good way to get a baby to stop crying

ec1981

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:03 pm
I have a three-month-old son. His mood starts out great when he wakes up in the morning but as the day goes on he starts to get more unhappy. He takes regular naps throughout the day, but around 7pm every night he has a breakdown and gets really fussy. My wife is able to calm him down by nursing him, but she is at work during that time once a week. What are some good ways for me to calm him down?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,057 • Replies: 3
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:40 pm
Hello ec,

you said that your wife is nursing your son at night to calm him down and
he's probably used to getting fed around 7 pm. Perhaps your wife could
pump some breast milk for the times she's at work so you can feed him.

You always can sing to him and rock him to sleep Smile
Good luck and enjoy - they grow up way too fast!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:37 pm
@ec1981,
My son had a really fussy time at about seven every evening too- whether I was there to breastfeed him or not. He wasn't hungry-and didn't want the breast - that wasn't the issue.

I just used to walk him - as in - standing up and holding him either over my shoulder or holding him over my arm, so that his stomach was pressed into my arm, because it seemed that pressure on his stomach felt good to him. And as I liked to take a walk every day - and especially enjoy walking in the evening - this is the time I'd take my walk. It also helped to distract me and him and was more pleasant than being shut up in a room in the house. He'd start looking around him and get interested in the scenery and that would distract him - and I'd be getting some exercise and fresh air- and that would distract me-even if he cried the whole time- which he sometimes did.

When he was about six weeks old, we went on a trip and there was an indoor heated pool at the place we were staying.
I happened to take him down with me the first evening and just sort of rocked him back and forth in the water - HE LOVED IT- immediately calmed (even though it was his fussy time and I'd been ready for him to fuss through the whole thing) and I figured that if he found the warm water soothing (like being back in the womb I thought) I'd give him his bath during his fussy time and see if that worked when we got home (since we didn't have a heated, indoor pool).
Maybe you could try that.
Worked like a charm for him.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
My daughter had exactly the same thing. I was so upset I called the doctor " my daughter isn’t like this " now honestly the child is 3 months old " really what is like her I realize later.

Explanation " colic. Some babies go through this and the experience is horrible for the parents. But it is a stage. By doctor suggested and I tried everything (nothing worked). Pat her back, snuggle her, put her in her swing, drive her in the car " is she too hot, and then if none of this works then it could just be her personality (at least that is what my doctor said).

Basically try different things that seem to comfort the baby, but just remember it most likely is a stage that will go away " there may be nothing that will sooth the baby.
0 Replies