JPB

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:36 pm
@engineer,
Jes mentioned this being a particularly stressful week. One pound/day long term isn't realistic. One week (high stress or early week) is perfectly realistic.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 09:07 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
So what's the secret to losing a pound a day for many days in a row?

No secret, just lots and lots of sweat. You do eight hours of easy cardio a day. Easy cardio burns (in my case) 600 calories an hour, half of them fat, half of them carbs. To stay out of ketosis, hypoglycemia, and other ugly conditions, you replace the calories you lose in carbs (in my case, 1/2 * 600 calories/hour * 8 hours = 2400 calories), and -- bingo -- you have lost 2400 calories a day (again, in my case) in fat. Together with your basic metabolism and your basic 1000 calorie diet, that gives you a pound a day.

I'm not saying it's healthy, I'm not saying it's realistic for people with a life outside of weight loss, and I'm certainly not recommending it. But it works in theory, it shouldn't kill you, and I think it's how the people on the weight loss shows do it in practice.
jespah

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2009 04:08 am
@Thomas,
That's probably true. For me last week/this week, I had scads of nervous energy and was doing all sorts of things like drumming on desks and tapping my feet, stuff I don't normally do at all but yeah, those burn calories. Did cardio every day and did substantial amounts of it so that I could sleep because I was so nuts. Ate what I was supposed to, but on the lower, lighter end of things.
Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:04 am
@jespah,
Today I weighed in at 219 lb, or 99.3 kg. Ladies and gentlemen, my kilogram weight is in the double digits for the first time in ten years!

That makes my BMI 34.3. That's where Jespah was when we met in Philadelphia six weeks ago.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 06:59 am
You ought to use one BMI tester which also shows if you are male or female and your age. That is better than just height and weight only.
I don´t go to fitness studio, I don´t do all kinds of exercise, I use real butter and plenty of it, I only use real cream for gravy, I love chocolate, I cook a real dinner every day. I use sugar and avoid low calory items.
I have a normal weight for my age and gender and have had the same weight for at least the last 10 years. I have 25.7
jespah

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 09:39 am
201.4 today, so BMI is up to 32.5.
George

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 09:42 am
@saab,
Quote:
You ought to use one BMI tester which also shows if you are male or female and your age.

I haven't seen one like that.
saab

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:30 am
@George,
I found it over Germany

http://www.bmi-rechner24.de/

Here on this link is the ideal weight for both women and men depending on the age. That might be of some help

http://www.bmi-rechner24.de/bmi_tabelle_body_mass_index_70.html
George

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:25 am
@saab,
That took some work.

I don't speak German and I'm used to pounds and inches rather than
kilograms and centimeters. But if I did it right, my BMI is 25.1. Which is the
same as when I use the standard BMI calculator.

In the "ideal weight" table, I fall into "bereiche 2". But I have no idea what
that means. In the standard BMI categories, I am "overweight".
saab

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:55 am
@George,
BMI-Bereich 1: Sie sind untergewichtig
BMI-Bereich 2: Sie haben Ihr Normalgewicht
BMI-Bereich 3: Sie sind etwas übergewichtig
BMI-Bereich 4: Sie sind übergewichtig
BMI-Bereich 5: Sie haben erhebliches Übergewicht
1. You weigh too little
2 Your weight is normal
3 You are a bit overweight
4 You are overweight
5 You are very overweight

Bereich 2 means your weight is normal. Congratulations.
Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 02:01 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
You ought to use one BMI tester which also shows if you are male or female and your age.

Age and sex makes no difference to what the BMI is -- only to what it ought to be. The finish line for this race is a BMI of 30, and that's still overweight for both Jespah and me. So we're fine for now. Thanks for the link though!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 02:02 pm
@saab,
Thanks, saab!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 03:50 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
201.4 today, so BMI is up to 32.5.

Must be the stress relief after last Monday. Or did you try too hard to beat the 200 pound mark for the show?
jespah

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 04:37 pm
@Thomas,
I wasn't really trying to hit the under 200 mark, and was shocked at what happened last week. This week is, er, the calendar feels like it's intervening, if yanno what I mean.
jespah

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 05:49 am
@jespah,
199.2 this morning.
BMI is 32.1
Only 13.2 lbs. to go to hit a BMI of 30.0.
If the current clip holds (and it may not), that can happen in 1 1/2 - 2 months. July 4th, here I come.
Thomas

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 09:56 pm
@jespah,
Sadly, no progress for me this week. I'm still 219lb, BMI 34.3.

As I think said elsewhere: You'll probably end up kicking my butt, but you better practice your aim before you do it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 10:02 pm
@Thomas,
Ah, Tomaso, you looked fine when you were recently here. Calmo! (a phrase from one of my early ital language books, in a cartoon with a person pointing at a dog, thus easy for me to remember).
So, I used to say that to Pacco, which mostly made him look quizzical.
Thomas

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 10:09 pm
@ossobuco,
You should have seen Jespah though -- once when I first met her at littlek's and Dasha's in February 2008, and then when I met her in Philadelphia with her friend M. This woman is a phenomenon.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 10:21 am
218 lb, for a BMI of 34.2. Not good enough. I need to step it up again.
jespah

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 03:25 pm
@Thomas,
I lost .2 lbs, not a whole helluva lot. 32.1, AKA no change since last week.

PS A phenomenon? Are they cute?