Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:18 am
I lost only one pound this week. Not good enough when you're up against Jespah the anorexic. I shouldn't have eaten this cookie of hers.

225 pounds, for a BMI of 35.4
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:55 am
Sorry 'bout the cookie.
207.8, BMI of 33.5 today.
Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:24 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Sorry 'bout the cookie.

No you're not, Sarah Jessica! Good maneuver though.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:22 pm
I weighed myself this morning. 220 pounds exactly. I am 6 feet, 0 inches. That makes my BMI only 29.8. However, my waist looks like Adam West's on the old Batman television series. I would rather not go by BMI. I would prefer a weight of 190-195 pounds.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 12:33 pm
@wandeljw,
Then get your butt over to the exercise thread (exercise goals for 2009),
wandel!
wandeljw

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Then get your butt over to the exercise thread (exercise goals for 2009),
wandel!

Okay. I may try both threads.
jespah

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 04:53 pm
@wandeljw,
You're definitely welcome, here and there. Smile
jespah

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:11 am
@jespah,
200.8 lbs.
32.4 BMI
Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 07:36 am
@jespah,
You lost seven pounds in one week, after 150 pounds in the year or so before? I'm speechless. You go, girl!

223 lb for me; My BMI is now 35.0.
jespah

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 08:08 am
@Thomas,
I had a lotta nervous energy to burn off this week. Wink
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 09:08 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

That makes my BMI only 29.8. However, my waist looks like Adam West's on the old Batman television series. I would rather not go by BMI. I would prefer a weight of 190-195 pounds.

I always thought the BMI thing was a bunch of hooey. I felt 15 lbs overweight, but the BMI said 40 lbs over my ideal weight. After watching a tennis match on TV, I decided to benchmark myself. I was watching these guys covered in muscles and we know that muscle weighs more than fat, so I looked up their BMI's and they fell .... right on the target line. Then I looked up men and women athletes in a variety of sports. Once again, right on the line regardless of height. In the end, I sucked it up and realized I was 40 lbs over. That was 10 months ago and I still have 20 lbs to go. Getting there slowly but surely. This has been an inspiring thread to read, but also confusing.

According the various internet sources, a pound of fat is 3,500 calories and the average person burns 2,000-2,500 per day. This means that on the standard Guantanomo starvation diet (1000 cal/day), you could lose a pound every other day. You could increase your exercise somewhat, but for an adult with real world responsibilities, adding an hour of extra work outs is hard and only worth 500-800 calories more. So what's the secret to losing a pound a day for many days in a row?
Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 06:55 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
I weighed myself this morning. 220 pounds exactly. I am 6 feet, 0 inches. That makes my BMI only 29.8. However, my waist looks like Adam West's on the old Batman television series. I would rather not go by BMI. I would prefer a weight of 190-195 pounds.

Hi WandelJW -- I'm sorry, somehow I managed to miss this one when you wrote it. Have you gained a lot of weight when we met in Chicago two years ago? You looked perfectly fine back then.
Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:07 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
In the end, I sucked it up and realized I was 40 lbs over. That was 10 months ago and I still have 20 lbs to go. Getting there slowly but surely.

Good for you, engineer! And I know just what you mean about resisting reality. I remember looking at pictures of one A2K gathering after another and getting pissed. The photographers, who always made nice, realistic pictures of everyone else, seemed to be on a mission to make me, and only me, look fat. Bastids!
sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:47 am
@engineer,
I think a pound/ day isn't realistic as a weight-loss goal. One or two pounds a week is more like it, unless you're VERY overweight to start with. (I don't think 40 pounds overweight qualifies.)
wandeljw

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:55 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

Hi WandelJW -- I'm sorry, somehow I managed to miss this one when you wrote it. Have you gained a lot of weight when we met in Chicago two years ago? You looked perfectly fine back then.

Thanks, Thomas. Even when you saw me in 2006, I had a slight "pot belly" and weighed about 205 pounds. I added another 15 pounds since then. I feel most comfortable at 190 or 195 pounds. This morning I was still at 220 pounds. Losing one pound a week is realistic (as Sozobe just mentioned).
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:44 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I think a pound/ day isn't realistic as a weight-loss goal. One or two pounds a week is more like it, unless you're VERY overweight to start with.

That was my overall conclusion as well. It seems like it is impossible to lose a pound a day of fat if that requires burning 3,500 calories. Maybe fat and water?
mac11

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 01:03 pm
@engineer,
Yeah, losing a pound a day is completely unrealistic - unless you're morbidly obese - and even then, it's water weight in the first few weeks.

Those folks who lose that fast on Biggest Loser are working out for hours every day with trainers. No one can do that in real life, if they have a life...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:11 pm
A lot of people I've known have lost weight by dramatically increasing their frequency of eating and simultaneously decreasing their portion size.

Makes it difficult to go out to dinner with folks though when you finish 10 minutes into the meal.

You guys are kicking ass, it's great!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:30 pm
@engineer,
I haven't read any other responses yet, engineer, just piping up to say that what you are talking about gets you into starvation city, and fast weight loss is very often problematic re followup fast weight gain.

Me, I've been lolling about at a weight set point for almost a couple of years, and I'm fine with the weight. I'm at either 25.1 or 25.2 bmi, but it's not muscle. My aim on participation in these threads was not to balloon up. Seems that won't happen, but my work isn't done. I need to exercise more. Pulls own hair to motivate my lazy self.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 07:32 pm
@Thomas,
I take the honors for a horrendo reaction to a fat photo of me, by Walter. Walter probably stays several feet away from me in case my eyes pop out and scalp rises.
0 Replies