Agnosticism is silly, but I do like Jell-O

Chumly

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:29 pm
What.........you're going to believe that there might be a god because you can't conclusively prove there is no god?

By that token you might as well believe there is a bowl of Jell-O floating behind your back that no one can see; except for one minute every 24 hours when this bowl of Jell-O zips around to the front of you and you get to eat some, however in doing so the Jell-O erases your memory of the event.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 25
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 07:52 pm
I eat Jellow about four times a week. So far, it has stayed put, just as I placed it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:08 pm
With all due respect, Chumly, that is sheer idiocy. Are you really proposing that everything in life needs to be certain... and that you won't admit that there is anything you don't konw?

Let me make it real simple for you...

There are some things I am certain are true (i.e. these are things I am confident enough of that I am willing base my life decisions and beliefs on). Examples are laws of physics and the fact we landed on the moon.

There are some things I am certain are not true (with the same definition of confidence). Your Jello example is a perfect example-- as is the virgin birth and the 10,000 year old earth.

It is the third category that you are completely looking over... these are the things that I don't know-- mostly because there is simply not enough evidence. Is there intelligent life on other planets? Will the stimulus work? Is there a God?

Yes... you are setting up a classic strawman.

I am solidly uncertain about the existence of God... and I am equally uncertain about Her non-existence.

I am glad that you have the luxury of an absolute answer with complete certainly to all of life's questions.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:09 pm
Curse you, chumly.
Chumly

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:24 pm
@ebrown p,
It's relative plausibilities and not comparative absolutes. My dog confided in me that he did see the Jell-O..........once. Then again I have been told that my dog is omnipotent. After all it's god spelled backwards.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well Edgar, the mystery of the Jell-O can only be resolved by the belief that my dog is god.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 08:39 pm
My dog might dispute your claim. She ascended the steps many times today. That is why I think she might be divine.
Chumly

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 10:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Your claim of divine doggy-hood has as much veracity as my claim. In fact I would argue that any and all such god claims are of equal veracity unless or until it can be shown otherwise.

As such, if all given claims are equal in their veracity, then they would be equal in their absurdity, so that leaves the rational man with an Atheistic bias...............woof!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2009 10:10 pm
Grrr. Ralph ralph. You can't trick me. I know humans didn't descend from dogs or bears.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 06:46 am
@Chumly,
Chum... Dude. Seriously. I get it, but you can come up with a better example than jell-o if you just want to antagonize someone.

T
Keep it simple, always default to the Unicorn.
O
djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:06 am
i don't like jello all that much, can i get some existential pie
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:10 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i don't like jello all that much, can i get some existential pie

Sorry, the pie is having you, but having a crisis of it's own trying to decide if it believes in you.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:49 am
@Diest TKO,
You miss the point, my view has to do with the congruence of relative plausibility as indicated below. Your Unicorn versus my Jell-O is not significant in this context.

I would argue that any and all such god claims are of equal veracity unless or until it can be shown otherwise.

As such, if all given claims are equal in their veracity, then they would be equal in their absurdity, so that leaves the rational man with an Atheistic bias...............woof!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:20 am
I partial to jelly monsters.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:23 am
where's my PIE? Confused
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:24 am
@djjd62,
The trick is, you got to provide your own pie, out of nothing.
Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:53 am
"Surely a man of your diverse intellectual interests and wide-ranging
curiosity must have tried to find God."

"God is much more intelligent than I am.........let him try to find me."

Isaac Asimov (speaker 2) in "Isaac Asimov: It's Been a Good Life"
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:55 am
@edgarblythe,
i'd prefer blueberries Very Happy
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 01:50 pm
@Chumly,
Here we go again !

Every concept we have like “tree” electron” “God” or “self” represents a potentially useful node of social agreenent between communicators regarding their inter-relationships with each other and their “common world”. Agnosticism has nothing to do with “proof” or the lack of it even though agnostics may claim that. For a believer, “evidence” is everwhere. Agnosticism and atheism are about whether the “God” concept is useful or not, and agnostics don’t know which way to jump. For atheists, there is no question that “God” is useless to them, though they would be fools to argue that was the case for everyone. However some atheists would even argue that same scale utility is pernicious at societal levels and for that argument "evidence" is a requirement.
Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:17 pm
I might be wrong but Jell-O was the sponsor for the Jack Benny show in the 1950's. The jingle that went with the commercial sang out, "J-E-L-L-O." I always thought there was something transcendent in the humor of Jack Benny. Perhaps, there is a connection between Jell-O and timeless humor? We might want to add Carnation milk (from "contented cows"), since they were the sponsor I believe for the George Burns and Gracie Allen show. Groucho Marx had the sponsor, DeSoto cars.

It might just be that the 1950's was the end of an era of simplicity, and now we are lost without knowing about God, Jell-O, or for that matter DeSoto cars. Not to mention Carnation milk.

And remembering Dinah Shore - "See the U.S.A. in a Chevrolet..."
0 Replies